Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my TSB work done, and having the KR short shifter and KR lever/ball installed, I have noticed more noise. I can distinguish between the vibration through the new lever, which I understand and is okay, but I am heaing either a throw-out bearing rattle/freewheeling clatter which continues to make noise in gear OR i have "gear rollover noise" whatever that is. The noise goes away completely when the clutch is depressed. Any thoughts? :rofl:
thanks - frisco '08 500

·
Registered
456 Posts
A defective throwout bearing will make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
After having my TSB work done, and having the KR short shifter and KR lever/ball installed, I have noticed more noise. I can distinguish between the vibration through the new lever, which I understand and is okay, but I am heaing either a throw-out bearing rattle/freewheeling clatter which continues to make noise in gear OR i have "gear rollover noise" whatever that is. The noise goes away completely when the clutch is depressed. Any thoughts? :rofl:
thanks - frisco '08 500
Get someone to put your car on a rack to see if the exhaust insulators that mount to the cross member are grounding out. When the dealer put mine back together the tech did not use a post jack to hold the exhaust straight as he tightened the clamps and the metal fingers that ride centered in both of the mounts were grounding against the cross member. I have seen 2 more GT500s since they had the TSBs done that were all off center and it will amplify noise and vibration.
jg

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input - I'll put the car up and look around and make sure nothing's in contact. It sure sounds like something freewheeling, but makes no noise when the pedal is depressed. Would that rule out the throw-out bearing?

What parts in the transmission are moving when the engine is running, the car is in neutral and the clutch is out? Do either of you know what gear rollover noise is?

Thanks for the education!
frisco

·
Registered
658 Posts
Do either of you know what gear rollover noise is?

Thanks for the education!
frisco
It is the noise that happens when you have a solid flywheel, and the combustion pulses cause the gears to bounce off of each other at low RPM.

·
Registered
658 Posts
By the way, after I had the TSB done and they put in a new transmission, I had no gear rollover for about the 1st 200 miles then it showed up again as the tranny broke in. If you look at other ford blogs you will see that this is by design.
If they were to tighten up the gear/tooth spacing, then you run the fear of binding the teeth.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for this great news - I won't be pulling out the tranny now! PLUS, more good news...all the noise and vibration through the FRPP solid stainless steel lever is now GONE. All you need to do is get a 1/16" thick self adhesive medium compound rubber pad (available at ACE Hardware), and place it between the linkage stub and the solid lever. You don't have to remove the shift ball, just pop off the boot trim surround, raise up the boot and you'll have access to the 2 bolts. I torqued the bolts to 25 pounds, instead of the 65 the tech used, used a drop of Red Loctite, and voila - no noise, no vibration at all - I MEAN NOTHING! I love it when cheap fixes work!
Thanks to all on this post! :)
frisco

1 - 9 of 9 Posts