Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2009 GT500 on Saturday. On Sunday I began noticing a really annoying rattle that occurs as soon as I shift into 2nd gear. It's there with low acceleration, but goes away once you give it more gas.

I took it in on Monday, after checking it out they said that it was normal, and gave me a print out with a few "special service messages" on it. Two were highlighted, one for gear rattle in 1st and 2nd gear, the other for clutch chatter. I googled and found it on the teamshelby website as well.

The paragraph on gear rattle seams to cover it, but it is really loud and really annoying. It seems crazy to me that this is normal.

20441 2007 - 2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - GEAR RATTLE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR
SOME 2007 - 2009 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "GEAR RATTLE" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION. THE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CONTACT PATTERN OF THESE GEARS. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

It did it really loudly today when I was pulling away from the gas pump in first gear. Sounded horrible, and I'm still worried about it.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is it really normal?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bought a new 2009 GT500 on Saturday. On Sunday I began noticing a really annoying rattle that occurs as soon as I shift into 2nd gear. It's there with low acceleration, but goes away once you give it more gas.

I took it in on Monday, after checking it out they said that it was normal, and gave me a print out with a few "special service messages" on it. Two were highlighted, one for gear rattle in 1st and 2nd gear, the other for clutch chatter. I googled and found it on the teamshelby website as well.

The paragraph on gear rattle seams to cover it, but it is really loud and really annoying. It seems crazy to me that this is normal.

20441 2007 - 2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - GEAR RATTLE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR
SOME 2007 - 2009 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "GEAR RATTLE" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION. THE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CONTACT PATTERN OF THESE GEARS. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

It did it really loudly today when I was pulling away from the gas pump in first gear. Sounded horrible, and I'm still worried about it.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is it really normal?
Mine rarely rattles in second, but if the RPMs are too low in first, there can be a rattle. Just keep the RPMs about 1250 and slowly increasing when you release the clutch and you will be fine in 1st.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Everybody I know has some sort of rattle, chatter and/or slap. Mine is at idle, once I put the clutch in and shift to first it disappears and it only happens as things warm up. I've only had mine for a few weeks so we'll see what the future holds. :indifferent:

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks. I'll do that.

I did read through it the evening I bought the car, but don't recall anything like this being discussed. I was mostly looking at the electronics and dash controls though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Might wanna crack open that owner's manual...

:)

This, and other things (like other strange noises) are detailed in there.
What's an owners manual? :roller:

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK, thanks. I'll do that.

I did read through it the evening I bought the car, but don't recall anything like this being discussed. I was mostly looking at the electronics and dash controls though.
It is in the Shelby Supplement, not in the standard owner's manual.

What's an owners manual? :roller:
It's that leather bound thing that about 80% of owners refuse to open because taking the plastic off will surely devalue their car by at least $20,000 at Barrett-Jackson in 2035. :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
994 Posts
It is in the Shelby Supplement, not in the standard owner's manual.

It's that leather bound thing that about 80% of owners refuse to open because taking the plastic off will surely devalue their car by at least $20,000 at Barrett-Jackson in 2035. :grinbiginvert:
Those Barrett-Jackson folks would kill me if i win the lottery! i'd buy the '69 fastback with matching numbers and low miles cuz i LIKE it, and DRIVE it home to Georgia! Cars were NOT meant to be stared at until they are in a museum!!!!! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Those Barrett-Jackson folks would kill me if i win the lottery! i'd buy the '69 fastback with matching numbers and low miles cuz i LIKE it, and DRIVE it home to Georgia! Cars were NOT meant to be stared at until they are in a museum!!!!! :rofl:
Dude, I am with you on that... When my '10 Vert gets here (any day) Im gonna drive it until the wheels fall off. I even bought the Ford ESP for 7 yrs/100K Miles... Thats gonna end up costing FoMoCo some bucks down the line...

Reactions: msmap

·
Registered
693 Posts
I stare at mine all the time! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. In February of this year, I bought a first-owner 2009 GT500 with 8,000 miles on it. It's got exactly the same problem as you describe. If you'll look in the Shelby GT500 Supplement that comes with the car, you'll find that this is described as a normal condition on the bottom of page 8. In addition, at the top of page 9 the twin disc cera-metallic clutch the car is equipped with is described as having unique clutch engagement characteristics said to be normal. I'm not sure if this includes clutch chatter on engagement?

·
Banned
8,945 Posts
Congratulations on the oldest thread revival of the week!
Another congrats for finding a low mile car to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Yes. In February of this year, I bought a first-owner 2009 GT500 with 8,000 miles on it.
Congratulations on the oldest thread revival of the week!
Another congrats for finding a low mile car to enjoy.

Yes, it happens to most of us.....we go flipping through searches and forget that some of the results come back from the dinosaur days.....back when Doug roamed the Earth with just a little Terminator by his side.

Have fun enjoying your new-found 2009 GT500, and yes, they do have a clutch that takes a little getting used to, but once you figure out how the twin discs are designed and operate, I've found it to be no big problem. Mine operates best if I keep the revs low and engage the clutch quickly......just the opposite of my old muscle cars where you can rev 'em up and slip the clutch to smooth them out.....just the difference between single disc and twin disc.

Oh.....and welcome to the GT500 Forum!! :)

Here's a link to the New Members Area:

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/145-new-member-introductions/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts