Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating a gear change (3.73) once my GT500 arrives but a couple of ?'s have come to mind...1. Will my warranty be voided? and 2. Here in CA, I believe I will have to get it smog checked after it's 5th birthday...the inspection stations use a dyno to check emissions at different RPM's and in different gears...I'm wondering if the ratio change will have any effect on the final emission numbers? Thanks...:confused:

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Not sure about ford but I had a dealer change gears in my truck and because they did, and it was mopar gears I was covered under my 3/36 warranty. Gears and smog... thank god we don't have that yet in Virginia. In the DC area they put tubes up the exhaust to check for emmissions and they do rev the motor but the car is in park so gears would not effect smog, even if they do spin the rear tires 3000 rpms is 3000 rpm's no matter what gears you have the engine is still turning the same.

I have heard there is something you can put in your gas that tricks the sensors to thinking it is running cleaner than it is. Take the car in when it is on Empty and add this additive and you pass... just a rumor I heard not sure if it is true but worth looking into :)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
ShelbyWise said:
I've been contemplating a gear change (3.73) once my GT500 arrives but a couple of ?'s have come to mind...1. Will my warranty be voided? and 2. Here in CA, I believe I will have to get it smog checked after it's 5th birthday...the inspection stations use a dyno to check emissions at different RPM's and in different gears...I'm wondering if the ratio change will have any effect on the final emission numbers? Thanks...:confused:

Shelbywise,
This is what my dealership said.It will void out my 36 month 36,000 mile on the rear end only.I will still have a 12 month 12,0000 mile warranty on the rear end and 36 month 36,000 mile warranty on the rest of the car.

The California emissions stuff I haven't a clue.

After thinking about the above post I went and talked to the factory warranty rep.I just so happen to know him and he is here in the shop office.These are the things he told me when I asked him several questions.He already knew all the questions before I asked and I couldn't help but start laughing.

1-Any modification to the drive train(engine,tranny,drive shaft and rear end)and you have a failure all warranty is void.He went on to tell me like if you want to change the rear gear set to a 3.73 and your rear end fails or your drive shaft fails or your engine fails-warranty void.I busted out laughing.He smiled and said we have done extensive tests and with over 480lbs. of torque
you don't want to change that gear set.Ok fair enough.If you chainge the pulley on the supercharger to get 12 lbs of boost and it leaned out to much and you had engine problems-no warranty.Ok fair enough.

2-If you want to change the axle backs/cat backs for a throatier sound it's only about 3 HP.Not a problem.The reason the exhaust is so subtle is because of government regulations.We could only have 83db.sound level and with the bigger tires,the whine of the supercharger we had to put different mufflers on the GT500.Those mufflers are off the GT automatic.The Mustang GT manual on the other hand doesn't have the bigger tires and supercharger so we could open up the mufflers and make it sound throatier.

3-Anything cosmetic is Ok

Wow thats a lot of typing.I hope this clears up the questions.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I edited post #3.Please read

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
drlovegun said:
07, what about small stuff like a cold air kit? Will that void the warranty?

You could.If you install a cold air intake you will have to retune it.If it runs to lean and you have engine trouble it will void the warranty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
07 SHELBY said:
Shelbywise,
This is what my dealership said.It will void out my 36 month 36,000 mile on the rear end only.I will still have a 12 month 12,0000 mile warranty on the rear end and 36 month 36,000 mile warranty on the rest of the car.

After thinking about the above post I went and talked to the factory warranty rep.I just so happen to know him and he is here in the shop office.These are the things he told me when I asked him several questions.He already knew all the questions before I asked and I couldn't help but start laughing.

1-Any modification to the drive train(engine,tranny,drive shaft and rear end)and you have a failure all warranty is void.He went on to tell me like if you want to change the rear gear set to a 3.73 and your rear end fails or your drive shaft fails or your engine fails-warranty void.I busted out laughing.He smiled and said we have done extensive tests and with over 480lbs. of torque
you don't want to change that gear set.Ok fair enough.If you chainge the pulley on the supercharger to get 12 lbs of boost and it leaned out to much and you had engine problems-no warranty.Ok fair enough.

2-If you want to change the axle backs/cat backs for a throatier sound it's only about 3 HP.Not a problem.The reason the exhaust is so subtle is because of government regulations.We could only have 83db.sound level and with the bigger tires,the whine of the supercharger we had to put different mufflers on the GT500.Those mufflers are off the GT automatic.The Mustang GT manual on the other hand doesn't have the bigger tires and supercharger so we could open up the mufflers and make it sound throatier.

07 & busa...Thanks for the input. I'm gonna go with my GT500 as received. I'm not really sure what I may have been thinking...?? Its been so many years since I've had a performance car, I figure this thing is going to seem scary fast to me. Perhaps once the warranty is gone and I've read a ton of input + learned a few things from the performance minded set then maybe I'll start doing some mods...:)

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
The warranty issue is a big issue, however with that said Exhaust, Air Intake, Remap computer is still going to happen for me. Gears and Pulley change... I will hold off till next year just to make sure all bugs are worked out and than I will probally make the switch. I don't plan on making this my drag car so I hope to never tear the rearend out it will only make a couple trips to the drag strip for maybe 3 passes. Hopefully it would hold together for that, but if it happens well this I just have to pay and get it fixed. Air Intake will lean out your car because more air in means you need more fuel to keep the mixture at the correct percentage. If you purchase your programmer from a 1st class company like Steeda than you can be sure they have done their homework and know what map the computer needs. But if you buy your programmer from a shop called Bernie Hotrods and he has been in business for 6 months.... well your results may vary (sorry if any Bernies out there) Like 07 said if you have a warranty issue you will need to remap and remove the air intake. Mapping takes about 60 seconds so that is no big deal, and all programmers (good ones) copy your factory map down to Flash Ram so if you ever need to send it back to the computer no big deal. Normally the menu on the programmer has a option that say "Send OEM Flash to computer" Air intakes well normally they take an hour to change out the first time but if you do it a couple of times it will be quicker. The air-intake and reflash computer is probally worth 30 to 40 more HP. (Fast Fords & Mustang Magazine will be doing a test) so an hour of wrenching is well worth the out come. Do not install Air-intake without remapping... lean engines can burn holes in the top of pistons :( thats a bad thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
Shelbywise,

Hey 07Shelby how have you been? Just so all you guys know I've heard from different people and different websites that it flat out depends on the dealership. Find yourself in a podunk town where they don't mod much and you might have a problem. Find yourself in Cali where they have strict emissions and you might have a problem. Find yourself in So FL and it might not be a problem. The dealerships I've dealt with in So FL all have the opinion that if the mod is DIRECTLY resultant in your problem you are screwed.

My recommendations:

1) meet a service writer or better yet (shop foreman) at your local dealership and make friends.

2) do your mods wisely.

3) be read to pony up if you are held responsible.

Good Luck Guys!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Unlike the 03-04s cobras the T56 in the new shelby actually has a decent 1st gear ratio. With all the TQ it will make I'm not sure that gears are the best option. I would not worry about getting smogged.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Unlike the 03-04s cobras the T56 in the new shelby actually has a decent 1st gear ratio. With all the TQ it will make I'm not sure that gears are the best option. I would not worry about getting smogged.
FYI -This tranny is not the same T-56.Tremic modified it for the new Shelby I believe it is a T-6060.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Right you are 07, and one more important fact is that first gear is low something like 2.9? the lowest that has ever been put in a mustang. According to Steeda 3.73 is a great gear for it. When ever I feel comfortable about have the gears switched 3.73 will be the way to go.. but I have to tell you it doesn't run bad with what it has but more gear would be nice if you had a choice. To bad we didn't have a choice of a couple... in fact if it would have had 3.55's I wouldn't switch to 3.73 not enough differance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Tremec TR6060 is the new gold-standard 6spd. It is beffier than the T56: physically wider gears (1st gear ratio is 2.98), stouter shafts -- billet primary shafts, stouter synchros (tripple synch's on 1st and 2nd, double on the rest, I believe). The 6060 has same torque spec as the 56 but builds in considerably more margin. It's rumored the new vette has spec's the 6060 for that reason. The taller 1st gear is probably to help get our baby's near 2-ton bulk moving sooner and to not bog down the s/c (I've read some dyno runs show a slight hesitation that goes away with bigger gears).

Does anyone know how replacement rearend gears are holding up? The 3.31s in the GT500 are specially hardened for the extra torque and 8.8 housing, while visually identical is also beefed inside. So far I haven't heard of anyone blowing any replacement 3.73 or 4.10s -- maybe that's just because the larger gears reduce the torque stress, dunno, but was curious.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
This is what Steeda told me, I have no info on the 03-04 only because I never had one so I know nothing about them. I do know the taller tire size changes the over all gearing, and not for the good if you want 1/4 performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is what Steeda told me, I have no info on the 03-04 only because I never had one so I know nothing about them. I do know the taller tire size changes the over all gearing, and not for the good if you want 1/4 performance.

Also to all if you are planning on changing gears the brgs used on the GT500 are diff from standard fare Must GT. The GT500 also has the Ring Gear mounted with Loctite! SVT says it really helps durability and is a must for any gear replacement.

There is a lot of neat info specific to the Shelby. wish I had the time and a way to post it all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey 07Shelby how have you been? Just so all you guys know I've heard from different people and different websites that it flat out depends on the dealership. Find yourself in a podunk town where they don't mod much and you might have a problem. Find yourself in Cali where they have strict emissions and you might have a problem. Find yourself in So FL and it might not be a problem. The dealerships I've dealt with in So FL all have the opinion that if the mod is DIRECTLY resultant in your problem you are screwed.

My recommendations:

1) meet a service writer or better yet (shop foreman) at your local dealership and make friends.

2) do your mods wisely.

3) be read to pony up if you are held responsible.

Good Luck Guys!

Right on the money here. I had an aftermarket intake, throttlebody, and had my '05 GT retuned. Worked great untill the throttle body position sensor busted after a year. Obviously not covered under waranty since the throttlebody was aftermarket, but becuase I've built such a good relationship with the maint. dept. they just asked me to bring in the stock throttlebody, they shipped it off and I got the new part free of charge, they even bolted it back onto my aftermarket TB :). And to top it all off, they knew the car was tuned, they said if for any reason I ever blew the motor, just make sure I flashed the computer back to stock when I brought it in and had the stock intake around and they would take care of it. Great group of guys. Obviously not all dealership maint. dept. are going to be like this, but some will.

P.S.

This is my first post, jsut found the forum this afternoon and have already got a boatload of great info off of it. Thanks to everyone. I've had my Shelby since September. Havn't had any issues with it yet (thank goodness), and am gona start digging under the hood for the brake fluid and clamp issues to see if I have them.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Right on the money here. I had an aftermarket intake, throttlebody, and had my '05 GT retuned. Worked great untill the throttle body position sensor busted after a year. Obviously not covered under waranty since the throttlebody was aftermarket, but becuase I've built such a good relationship with the maint. dept. they just asked me to bring in the stock throttlebody, they shipped it off and I got the new part free of charge, they even bolted it back onto my aftermarket TB :). And to top it all off, they knew the car was tuned, they said if for any reason I ever blew the motor, just make sure I flashed the computer back to stock when I brought it in and had the stock intake around and they would take care of it. Great group of guys. Obviously not all dealership maint. dept. are going to be like this, but some will.

P.S.

This is my first post, jsut found the forum this afternoon and have already got a boatload of great info off of it. Thanks to everyone. I've had my Shelby since September. Havn't had any issues with it yet (thank goodness), and am gona start digging under the hood for the brake fluid and clamp issues to see if I have them.

Welcome to the forum BLUE07SHELBY.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Also to all if you are planning on changing gears the brgs used on the GT500 are diff from standard fare Must GT. The GT500 also has the Ring Gear mounted with Loctite! SVT says it really helps durability and is a must for any gear replacement.

There is a lot of neat info specific to the Shelby. wish I had the time and a way to post it all.
I've been thinking about doing some mods, and as fortune would have it, in March, some family is going to be visiting - one of which is a mustang nut, and mechanic.

I'd been planning the CAI + Re-tune, but now I'm thinking about doing the pulley and swapping out the rear end for a 3.73.

For those who've swapped the rear end, what tools do I need, and what other parts will I need? (Bearings? Hydraulic Press? Torque wrench? ??? )

Any special tools for the pulley change (Cousin is bringing or shipping his pulley removal tool but its was used for on 03 or 04 Cobra I think - not sure if it'll work on the Shelby?)

TD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts