Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been kicking around my next mod for awhile now. It’s between gauges and shocks/struts.

Since I want to do the gauges before I move forward on further performance mods (headers, maybe hi-flow cats, 10% crank pulley) I need to decide on which gauges.

I have a SCT X4 and have thought about adding a boost and A/F sensors. I also have opinions to move to an nGauge. I’m currently leaning towards Aeroforce Interceptor dual gauges but haven’t ruled out AEM or Autometer. If I do choose dual or triple gauges, they will go on the A pillar.

I really, really want to run 2 wideband O2’s to give me A/F in each bank, along with Boost. IAT I am accessing through the OBD port so I can still access it with the SCT, nGauge or the Aeroforce.

I know most people only have experience with their specific gauges and are probably very Pro-whatever they have. That’s understood. What I would like to see is y’all to include pluses/minuses for what you’re running, would you do it again, mounting style and whatever other input you feel I need to hear. If you remember, source and other needed accessories too, please. Pics are a plus!!

I’m really looking forward to hearing/seeing what y’all are running.

Thanks All!!

Steve

PS. What is the SOS A-pillar mount some are running? What’s it stand for? It seems to be a much more low-profile A-pillar mount system than some. I’m very intrigued...

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,719 Posts
I’ve been kicking around my next mod for awhile now. It’s between gauges and shocks/struts.

Since I want to do the gauges before I move forward on further performance mods (headers, maybe hi-flow cats, 10% crank pulley) I need to decide on which gauges.

I have a SCT X4 and have thought about adding a boost and A/F sensors. I also have opinions to move to an nGauge. I’m currently leaning towards Aeroforce Interceptor dual gauges but haven’t ruled out AEM or Autometer. If I do choose dual or triple gauges, they will go on the A pillar.

I really, really want to run 2 wideband O2’s to give me A/F in each bank, along with Boost. IAT I am accessing through the OBD port so I can still access it with the SCT, nGauge or the Aeroforce.

I know most people only have experience with their specific gauges and are probably very Pro-whatever they have. That’s understood. What I would like to see is y’all to include pluses/minuses for what you’re running, would you do it again, mounting style and whatever other input you feel I need to hear. If you remember, source and other needed accessories too, please. Pics are a plus!!

I’m really looking forward to hearing/seeing what y’all are running.

PS. What is the SOS A-pillar mount some are running? What’s it stand for? It seems to be a much more low-profile A-pillar mount system than some. I’m very intrigued...
I run an SOS Triple Gauge Pod with Autometer Ford Racing (Boost, Fuel, & Oil Pressure) gauges and a vent-mounted nGauge...
20170930_144832.jpg

Prior to the nGauge, I ran a vent-mounted Aeroforce Interceptor...
IMG_20140719_140217_833.jpg

My primary reason for the change was that the nGauge carries my tunes and permits datalogging. Its display is larger and nicer, but washes out in sunlight. The Interceptor display is smaller and monochrome (red, white, blue, or green), but remains visible in both low and bright light. It also permits scanning through more parameters, while the nGauge forces selection of no more than 6 parameters to be displayed.

FWIW, I'd recommend any/all of what I ran/run. They all work well and look good.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,236 Posts
I have a single Aeroforce Interceptor gauge that I use to primarily monitor IAT2 and either boost or A/F. The gauge is handy... lots of info available. The cons: harder to read during the day with glare and for night mode, you have to manually dim it in the settings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You really don't need A/F gauges for each bank, especially in a street car which I'm assuming you have based on your current and future mod list. There are lots of good options out there, I run the Aeroforce Interceptor just through the OBD, as well as mechanical boost and oil pressure. The Intercepter is nice you can adapt and get it to show boost, etc by just adding different sensors. If your car doesn't have widebands like mine (2007) then a wideband is a must have, I installed an AEM UEGO which are extremely inexpensive and very easy to install. I have used them in over 10 different cars without issue. It all depends on what you are hoping to get from your gauges.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,546 Posts
SOS pod & dual AeroForce gauges.
.................( based on what I see on other sites, SOS pods are hard to come by )
Have not experienced the visibility issues Goose mentioned..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that have replied so far.

@Chaseinaz I know that I shouldn’t have to run 2 O2 sensors and I probably won’t jump on the second sensor right away but I want the piece of mind of know what each bank is doing.

Keep the info coming!!

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,595 Posts
I'm using an SOS 3 gauge pod with an Autometer boost/vacuum gauge and dual Aeroforce gauges. I have added sensors for oil pressure and fluid temp (intercooler coolant) to my Aeroforce gauges.

However, while I have the same setup, I have changed the gauges. The Aeroforce blue/white gauge has a horrible contrast in sunlight. The hotter it is on the inside of the car, the worse it gets. Heat affects the contrast between those two colors. I had one of the dual gauges stop reading, so I get a new set of gauges in black/white and I can now read these gauges. Since the color scheme didn't work with the vacuum/boost gauge, I replaced it with another Autometer in their Elite series, which also has playback functions. I'll throw a new pic up when I get a chance. The revisions sort of answer the question of whether I'd do it again.... because I did just that.

Now the good and the bad on the gauges. A single boost/vaccum gauge makes sense to me. It's the one thing I want to see at WOT and see it easily. Vacuum is also an extremely useful gauge, if you know how to use it. YMMV. I have my Aeroforce gauges set for two displays per gauge and scrolling through 8 functions each on 4 screens each, like pictured above. It's overkill and unless you're sitting at a light, you may miss what function you really want to see while it's scrolling through everything else. You can freeze the screen, but it will stay frozen until you reset it.

I'm more than tempted to reduce the number of functions selected, to minimize how frequently the functions display changes. I know I have the ability to display all 8 all the time, but I'm afraid the image will be too small to see well. I've yet to experiment with it, but I have a few ideas I'm kicking around. One is to select 4 functions to display on the top gauge, the more critical functions and leave the bottom on 8 less critical. When you have up to 16 possibilities, you're monitoring too much data, and I admit I have things selected I don't really care about. If you really want to monitor that much stuff, datalog the car. You won't miss anything and will have infinitely better data.

While the factory water temp gauge doesn't provide accurate data, monitoring that with your gauge will clue you into what temps the gauge represents. On my car the first vertical line on the gauge is 140*. Once you know that, you really don't need a dedicated gauge for that. My other pet peeve is the factory oil pressure switch. I say switch because it only tells you when you have ~10 psi of oil pressure. It's a glorified idiot light. Once it illuminates at speed, the engine is already toast. I would highly recommend an add on sensor for oil pressure for one of the multi-gauges, if not a dedicated gauge for that purpose.

As far as monitoring a/f ratios, why does everyone feel they need to monitor that information? A/F is no doubt a critical function, but once it's worked out in the tune, who cares? While everyone knows what they want their A/F ratio to be at WOT, what about idle and cruse? It's damn hard to monitor 2 gauges at WOT, which if digital is almost impossible to find and read. Sure they're easy to read when your not WOT, but who gives a shit? If your engine is surging, you may be running lean. Your engine is going to throw a code if it can't compensate for it. It will fluctuate constantly based on load and rpm, way too fast to provide any useful data. I think it makes more sense to monitor short and long term fuel trims. Nuf said on that topic.

Another issue I had with my set up was the temp gauge sensor I installed. Using Aeroforce's preprogrammed info, it was not at all accurate. I have yet to determine if their 1/4" and 3/8" sending units do not share the same calibration. But, Aeroforce does give you the ability to input your own slope and interceptor. I have a whole thread devoted to just how to do that. It's probably not a light read. The end result is I have a way to monitor the coolant coming out of my heat exchanger and it's very accurate now.

To just to sum it up. There's only so many functions you can monitor while not losing your mind or crashing your car. That's my next quest. Whittling down too much data.

Oh, and SOS is Speed of Sound. Here's a link.

Speed of Sound gauge pillars, pods, and switch panels for the Ford Mustang

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using an SOS 3 gauge pod with an Autometer boost/vacuum gauge and dual Aeroforce gauges. I have added sensors for oil pressure and fluid temp (intercooler coolant) to my Aeroforce gauges.

View attachment 205668

However, while I have the same setup, I have changed the gauges. The Aeroforce blue/white gauge has a horrible contrast in sunlight. The hotter it is on the inside of the car, the worse it gets. Heat affects the contrast between those two colors. I had one of the dual gauges stop reading, so I get a new set of gauges in black/white and I can now read these gauges. Since the color scheme didn't work with the vacuum/boost gauge, I replaced it with another Autometer in their Elite series, which also has playback functions. I'll throw a new pic up when I get a chance. The revisions sort of answer the question of whether I'd do it again.... because I did just that.

Now the good and the bad on the gauges. A single boost/vaccum gauge makes sense to me. It's the one thing I want to see at WOT and see it easily. Vacuum is also an extremely useful gauge, if you know how to use it. YMMV. I have my Aeroforce gauges set for two displays per gauge and scrolling through 8 functions each on 4 screens each, like pictured above. It's overkill and unless you're sitting at a light, you may miss what function you really want to see while it's scrolling through everything else. You can freeze the screen, but it will stay frozen until you reset it.

I'm more than tempted to reduce the number of functions selected, to minimize how frequently the functions display changes. I know I have the ability to display all 8 all the time, but I'm afraid the image will be too small to see well. I've yet to experiment with it, but I have a few ideas I'm kicking around. One is to select 4 functions to display on the top gauge, the more critical functions and leave the bottom on 8 less critical. When you have up to 16 possibilities, you're monitoring too much data, and I admit I have things selected I don't really care about. If you really want to monitor that much stuff, datalog the car. You won't miss anything and will have infinitely better data.

While the factory water temp gauge doesn't provide accurate data, monitoring that with your gauge will clue you into what temps the gauge represents. On my car the first vertical line on the gauge is 140*. Once you know that, you really don't need a dedicated gauge for that. My other pet peeve is the factory oil pressure switch. I say switch because it only tells you when you have ~10 psi of oil pressure. It's a glorified idiot light. Once it illuminates at speed, the engine is already toast. I would highly recommend an add on sensor for oil pressure for one of the multi-gauges, if not a dedicated gauge for that purpose.

As far as monitoring a/f ratios, why does everyone feel they need to monitor that information? A/F is no doubt a critical function, but once it's worked out in the tune, who cares? While everyone knows what they want their A/F ratio to be at WOT, what about idle and cruse? It's damn hard to monitor 2 gauges at WOT, which if digital is almost impossible to find and read. Sure they're easy to read when your not WOT, but who gives a shit? If your engine is surging, you may be running lean. Your engine is going to throw a code if it can't compensate for it. It will fluctuate constantly based on load and rpm, way too fast to provide any useful data. I think it makes more sense to monitor short and long term fuel trims. Nuf said on that topic.

Another issue I had with my set up was the temp gauge sensor I installed. Using Aeroforce's preprogrammed info, it was not at all accurate. I have yet to determine if their 1/4" and 3/8" sending units do not share the same calibration. But, Aeroforce does give you the ability to input your own slope and interceptor. I have a whole thread devoted to just how to do that. It's probably not a light read. The end result is I have a way to monitor the coolant coming out of my heat exchanger and it's very accurate now.

To just to sum it up. There's only so many functions you can monitor while not losing your mind or crashing your car. That's my next quest. Whittling down too much data.

Oh, and SOS is Speed of Sound. Here's a link.

Speed of Sound gauge pillars, pods, and switch panels for the Ford Mustang
Thanks for the write-up!! I appreciate the time and effort. The color scheme info was a huge help.

I called SOS. Pretty sure I talked to the owner, great guy. We talked for 25+ minutes. It was really nice as I’m sure he had much more important stuff to do. He went into the reason why he started making his gauge pods and how he designed them. Incredibly interesting and well worth my time.

Bottom line though was that he quit making his gauge pods last year. So, I’m going to hold out and see if I can buy a 2-gauge pod.

I’m thinking I’m going to run 1 Aeroforce with 1 O2 to start with. I’m thinking I have settled on the white/black display, and run a dedicated boost/vacuum gauge. What brand Boost/Vac gauge is now part of the discussion.

Side note: I’d love to pick your brain @Catmonkey on what certain parameters should be in regards to readings on a SCT X4. If you ever find the time, I will make myself available to you, or anybody else, that can give me some explanations, in laymen’s terms, of the various pids.

Thank you to all that have contributed and to those that haven’t, yet!!

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts