Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,748 Posts
Having been around but not directly in the fuel/refinery industry before retirement, I always run TT in any premium required vehicle. It is lab tested for each batch to certify it meets certain qualities that are under contract, even if it is from a competitor named refinery. Un-certifiable batches (do not meet contract specs) are still be usable but are not accepted by the particular brand, go to discount stations. TT has some benefits for keeping injectors clean and fuel stabilized longer.

If I am running a premium car that requires premium fuel, higher fuel prices are part of the package of ownership, just like premium tires and oil. The everyday rides get the basic stuff like regular fuel, basic tires and oil.
Thanks for the knowledgeable input! (y) That's exactly what I have heard from other folks who are familiar with the industry. It certainly makes sense and confirms my beliefs about gasoline quality.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,748 Posts
Top tier is the way to go - for peace of mind, if nothing else. Shell 91 and BP 93 octanes are the best of what we have around Lenexa, KS.
We have 93 octane Shell gasoline here in Maryland. And that's the only good thing I have to say about this State!

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
571 Posts
We have 93 octane Shell gasoline here in Maryland. And that's the only good thing I have to say about this State.
We only have 91 octane crap gas so I don't have anything good to say about this State, but I always use 91 octane Chevron in the Shelby mixed with 104 octane Sunoco.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
When I had my 2014 Explorer I didn't worry about brands with it, I just bought the cheapest. At some point I got a BP card and exclusively fueled there for the 5¢ per gallon discount. (They are top tier). I had a noticeable performance difference after a short while. I wasn't looking for a difference, it just dawned on me one day like: "Damn! This thing is running better than ever!"

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,127 Posts
After reading through this thread I did a quick search and discovered I have a source for Sunoco 104 near me. The 260 GT Plus. Any thoughts on using this?

Reactions: BostonDave

·
Registered
571 Posts
After reading through this thread I did a quick search and discovered I have a source for Sunoco 104 near me. The 260 GT Plus. Any thoughts on using this?
This is exactly what I use because I am on a 93 octane tune. I mix 1 gallon of 104 and 4 gallons of 91 to get 5 gallons of 93.6 octane. Usually I go a little less on the 91. Been doing this for 3 and 1/2 years with not 1 problem. It is expensive though at about $13 a gallon, but it's way cheaper than blowing up my engine.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,066 Posts
There are no benefits from running a more expensive higher octane fuel unless your car can take advantage of it by being tuned for it.

Reactions: BostonDave

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,127 Posts
This is exactly what I use because I am on a 93 octane tune. I mix 1 gallon of 104 and 4 gallons of 91 to get 5 gallons of 93.6 octane. Usually I go a little less on the 91. Been doing this for 3 and 1/2 years with not 1 problem. It is expensive though at about $13 a gallon, but it's way cheaper than blowing up my engine.
93 is available at 99% of the stations here.
There are no benefits from running a more expensive higher octane fuel unless your car can take advantage of it by being tuned for it.
10-4

·
Registered
571 Posts
93 is available at 99% of the stations here.

10-4
I should have mentioned that I am running 850+ BHP and need to use at least 93 octane. Like Tim said if you don't need it then it is a waste of money, maybe a small benefit, but not enough to warrant the price increase.

Reactions: Goose17
21 - 30 of 30 Posts