Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may be a bit of a dumb question, but where do you all fill up? For those with military base access, do you use base gas? I know i have to use premium, thats a given. However, does running "top tier" gas make that much of a difference? For me thats a 50 cents or so increase in gas price. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,719 Posts
So this may be a bit of a dumb question, but where do you all fill up? For those with military base access, do you use base gas? I know i have to use premium, thats a given. However, does running "top tier" gas make that much of a difference? For me thats a 50 cents or so increase in gas price. Let me know what you guys think.
I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I usually use Top-Tier gas. In this area, it's cheapest at Costco, so that's usually where I fill-up. If not there, then I stick with Shell or Phillips 66.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,238 Posts
I get 93 at the nearest station when I’m low. I don’t bother with brands.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the additives they put into the top tier stuff isn't worth the extra money?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,238 Posts
So the additives they put into the top tier stuff isn't worth the extra money?
Couldn’t tell you, but I’ve never had fuel issues. I’m also not running ragged-edge aftermarket tunes.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couldn’t tell you, but I’ve never had fuel issues. I’m also not running ragged-edge aftermarket tunes.
I wouldn't say I'm ragged edge, at least I hope not. I definitely didn't ask to be at the brink.

·
Registered
2010 Ford Shelby GT500 Torch Red w/Nav
59 Posts
I have always used our Fred Meyer gas as they replenish the tanks every other day. We are stuck at 91 here for top octane. Never once had a problem in 12000 miles so far.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,595 Posts
I don't know if top tier is better, but car snobs that need to run premium are more likely to use top tier, and I try to fill up at high volume stations that I don't believe have premium gas sitting in their tanks getting old. Just another reason to have a slightly conservative tune.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,770 Posts
I've consistently used Shell gas in all our cars for years. The top tier gasoline products do have some additives (according to the manufacturers) that burn cleaner, are weather sensitive, etc. I'm old school and stay with gasoline manufacturers that have been around a long time and have a good racing fuel reputation. In the long run it may be beneficial, but I've never put non top tier gasoline in any of my vehicles, so who knows? I do steer clear of non TT gasoline. My past BMW's always seemed to run marginally better with Shell so I've just stuck with it over the years. The Fords seem to like it, as well.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Petro-Canada. Ultra 94

Reactions: JTB

·
Registered
2019 GT350
632 Posts
I get Sunoco 93 octane whenever I can (station is on the way home from work) for the Shelby. For my truck, I use non-ethanol 91 octane (Stewart's shops) since it sits longer. I also use the non-ethanol in the Shelby for winter storage.

I have gotten a couple bad batches from the generic stations around me - that always makes for a bad day!

·
Registered
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
149 Posts
Around here we have a lot of crap quality gas. I try and target Sunoco 93 most of the time and fortunately we have one in town. PA has a bunch of mini (not so much!) markets such as Wawa, Turkey Hill, Sheetz and Rutters. I avoid them as much as possible but sometimes you have little choice. Some of them didn’t even offer more than 92 until recently.

Reactions: ihaterice

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Like @03reptile, I also always try to use Shell in my 2013. If I can't get Shell I look for another top tier brand. Like others have said, I'm not totally sure top tier makes a large difference. I do know that every vehicle I own gets better gas mileage when I put in Shell gas. In the Northwest Arkansas area there are only two stations that have 93, or above, and neither are that close to me so I'm stuck running 91. To get top tier 93 I have to drive to at least central Arkansas which is 2.5-3 hours away from me.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,546 Posts
RaceWay - station .6 miles form my house, new tanks installed 1990 or 91, high volume, 87,89, & 93..

·
Premium Member
8,180 Posts
If you talk with gas-tanker drivers, you'll find out they ALL fill up at the same pumping stations in the local areas. Main thing to look for is a high-volume station that receives fresh shipments often. They say the additive "packages" aren't much different (and no one will ever tell you what they really are). The "top-tier" designation is similar to a "J.D. Power" award-winner ... smoke & mirrors ..... bought and paid for advertising gimmick. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2010 Ford Shelby GT500 Torch Red w/Nav
59 Posts
I always fill up at places (besides our Fred Meyer) that has a tanker truck there every other day. I don't want any chance of water in the gas. I'm not sure what it would do to our engines but I'm sure it would be far worse than a regular non performance vehicle..
And I get it..fuel filters are there for a reason but they don't always catch everything..

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So from the reading I've been doing online and from here, I'm thinking that top tier is worth the few extra cents. Im gonna switch for the life of my upcoming oil change and see how I feel.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
411 Posts
So from the reading I've been doing online and from here, I'm thinking that top tier is worth the few extra cents. Im gonna switch for the life of my upcoming oil change and see how I feel.
Top tier is the way to go - for peace of mind, if nothing else. Shell 91 and BP 93 octanes are the best of what we have around Lenexa, KS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having been around but not directly in the fuel/refinery industry before retirement, I always run TT in any premium required vehicle. It is lab tested for each batch to certify it meets certain qualities that are under contract, even if it is from a competitor named refinery. Un-certifiable batches (do not meet contract specs) are still be usable but are not accepted by the particular brand, go to discount stations. TT has some benefits for keeping injectors clean and fuel stabilized longer.

If I am running a premium car that requires premium fuel, higher fuel prices are part of the package of ownership, just like premium tires and oil. The everyday rides get the basic stuff like regular fuel, basic tires and oil.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts