Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everybody is speechless lets create a new subject.The gas tank for all the mustangs even the Shelby is a saddle type tank.The driveshaft runs through the middle of the tank.Therefore there is two fuel pumps in the gas tank to make this work.The right side of the tank pumps it to the left side of the tank,then the left side pumps it underneath the car to the engine.I hope somebody cares!Some day you might need this useless information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
Since everybody is speechless lets create a new subject.The gas tank for all the mustangs even the Shelby is a saddle type tank.The driveshaft runs through the middle of the tank.Therefore there is two fuel pumps in the gas tank to make this work.The right side of the tank pumps it to the left side of the tank,then the left side pumps it underneath the car to the engine.I hope somebody cares!Some day you might need this useless information.
So how does this work if you dont fill the tank all the way up and part of the one side doesnt get gas cause u dont fill it over the mid "mountain" part or is it not that big?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you need to get to the fuel pumps,pull up the back seat (the part you sit on)and they are right there on top of the tank.There are cut outs so you can replace them on the fly.You know, Like if you need more fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is higher than mid mountain.If you don't fill it up all the way the other side of the tank doesn't receive any gas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So couldnt that be a problem for the one side fuel pump if you dont fill it up enough? Cause i know alot of people who dont always fill there tank up the whole way, sometimes not even have or is that thought of.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No.The right pump will not run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alright just making sure I got my whole physics thing down. Just one last question wouldn't this hurt the pump?If it wasnt run. (Hopefully it wont bring more for ya.)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sorry I don't understand the question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If that pump on that side doesnst run doesnt that hurt the pump or does a computer shut it off and run the engine off the other side alone? Sorry i wasnst more clear.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try this again.It is a saddle type tank.Looks like a saddle.You open the gas cap on your car, stick the nozzle in and pump your gas.When the gas rises to a level about 3/4 full it will start to spill over to the left side of the tank until the tank is full.You pay for your gas and go cruising.The pump on the left side is pumping gas to the engine the right side pump is doing nothing.The left side of the tank is the only pump that pumps gas up to the engine.The left side starts to get low so the pump on the right side pumps gas over to the left side.After the right side is empty you run out of gas and have to call AAA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alright i missed the part about the right picking up for the left and doing the whole transfer thing which is why i was missing something. Got ya now and sorry for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey no problem.Sometimes I am not easy to understand.I've had this problem before.I try a different method each time.I think other people think like I do,usually they don't.Don't hesitate to ask if you don't know!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alright and ya i understand i am told i can be hard to understand to. Usually i just think someone understands something unstated and it throws them off so i got where you are coming from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts