Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but on top of the $40,000 to $43,000you will pay for the Shelby, you will have to pay an additional $6,000 to $7,000 for gas guzzler tax.Ouch...........we are getting close to $50,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but on top of the $40,000 to $43,000you will pay for the Shelby, you will have to pay an additional $6,000 to $7,000 for gas guzzler tax.Ouch...........we are getting close to $50,000.
07 Shelby,

Where did you get this information? According to the GGTax table, that would mean the Shelby would get an average (city & highway) of only around 12 or 13 mpg. I find that hard to believe. :confused:

Based on estimated MPG numbers I got at the Denver Auto Show (13 city / 21 highway) the estimated combined MPG value for the Shelby would be 18.4, which would put the GGTax at $2,100.

Figure a base MSRP of $40,000 plus $2,100 GGTax and you've got a $42,100 MSRP, which is about in line with the latest estimates from Ford.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure hope you are right.I got my info from a Mustang engineer.Maybe he is a little high but that is what he said.Another engineer said the Shelby was going to be close to $50,000 with the tax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
I sure hope you are right.I got my info from a Mustang engineer.Maybe he is a little high but that is what he said.Another engineer said the Shelby was going to be close to $50,000 with the tax.
Wow! That's a bit scary. I sure hope I'm right too. $7K seems a bit excessive.

Anyone have an idea what the GGTax is on a Ford GT? It's got basically the same engine. I would thing the tax on the Shelby would be similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,400 Posts
07 Shelby is usually right on, but this time he is not even close.
When I placed my order on 3/24/06 the computer generated order indicated a gas guzzler tax, so this comes as no surprise.
The gas guzzler tax on the Ford GT is $2,100 so I do not acticipate the tax on the GT 500 to exceed this amount, unless there are any changes from the Federal Government between now and manufacture date.
The big question is MSRP? Remember the Ford GT anticipated MSRP originally was to be $75,000 but that is a totaly different animal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stand corrected.I talked to the same person and he said I heard it wrong.It was $2,000,but it was lowered today by the government to about $1,600.I try to give accurate info but sometimes my brain doesn't work right.Also,told that the price for the Shelby was just over $40k.Sorry for the bad information!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
I stand corrected.I talked to the same person and he said I heard it wrong.It was $2,000,but it was lowered today by the government to about $1,600.I try to give accurate info but sometimes my brain doesn't work right.Also,told that the price for the Shelby was just over $40k.Sorry for the bad information!
Down to $1600 from $2000. That's good news. Thanks for the update!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Although I've heard of the Gas Guzzler Tax, I'm not familiar with exactly how it works...Is it a 'pay one time tax' similar to sales tax? Where does this $$ go? Thanks...

ShelbyWise :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
ShelbyWise said:
Although I've heard of the Gas Guzzler Tax, I'm not familiar with exactly how it works...Is it a 'pay one time tax' similar to sales tax? Where does this $$ go? Thanks...

ShelbyWise :confused:
The Gas Guzzler Tax is a way for the Federal government to punish car makers and the consumer for building/buying cars with less than optimal fuel economy. It's a one-time tax paid at the time of purchase. It is often rolled into the MSRP of the vehicle, although it is always itemized so you can see how much it is. Also, I believe it only applies to cars. I think pick-ups are excluded.

There's more detail on the GGTax calculation on http://gt500forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top