Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Governor considers gas-guzzler tax:fight:

Boston (WBZ Newsroom) -- Massachusetts could become the first state to have a so-called 'Hummer' tax.

Governor Deval Patrick is considering a plan that would charge an extra fee for gas guzzling vehicles, such as the Hummer.

Environmentalists like the idea of charging higher registration fees for vehicles that get poor gas mileage, saying it would encourage the use of smaller, more fuel efficient cars.

Not everyone agrees. Some Bay Staters says they don't have a choice but to drive large vehicles because of large families or family members who require special needs.

The tax idea is part of the governor's plan to fix the state's transportation system. He's already proposed raising the gas tax, but says if that happens, he would put a freeze on toll increases.

Drivers with more fuel efficient cars could see discounts.

The governor plans to unveil full details of his transportation plan Friday.

They interview a guy that pulled up in a (Toyota Prius) and he said that if the people driving SUV's are willing to put the state, enviorment and country they live in at risk then they should pay. Let me see here if more Americans would have been buying American cars instead of foreign cars I don't believe we would be in the mess we are in. My dad had retired from International Harvester and I remember growing up never having a foreign car always Mecurys and Fords, he also spoke to me about one day that the demise of our country will be buying foregin.

OH yea I'm glad our cars get gas guzzler tax because I've got 10,000 miles on mine since 09/23/2006.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We already pay more in fuel. We buy what we burn. And as far as the Shelby, most of us use the car for pleasure only so it doesn't burn as much fuel as the soccer mom in a honda burning gas as she talks on the cellphone in the cool AC. Ugh! Let's hope this doesn't spread.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I live in Massachusetts and I'm waiting for the hammer to drop. But like you guys already stated, we (and I) don't drive these cars that much for it to really matter. I have had mine since 9/08 and I have a whopping 415 miles on it. I agree we need to buy American. My wife and I already decided that when we need new everyday cars we are buying American next time around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts