Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,639 Posts
With the Direct Lift, did you have to check your concrete thickness?
That's a good question. According to the concrete company that poured a section of sidewalk and a hot tub pad for me, the norm in this area is 4" thick 4000psi concrete. With that in mind, along with the fact that a 4-post lift distributes the weight of the car + lift over an area greater than the car's 4 wheels normally do, I wasn't concerned when adding mine. A couple of years later, I have yet to experience any problems, including cracking.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,388 Posts
That's a good question. According to the concrete company that poured a section of sidewalk and a hot tub pad for me, the norm in this area is 4" thick 4000psi concrete. With that in mind, along with the fact that a 4-post lift distributes the weight of the car + lift over an area greater than the car's 4 wheels normally do, I wasn't concerned when adding mine. A couple of years later, I have yet to experience any problems, including cracking.
This is a big key... 4 post lifts can basically go anywhere. They distribute the weight to 4 contact points and they also don’t have any twisting moment. 2-posts lifts have all of the weight on 2 contact points and also have to support an unevenly loaded vehicle (twisting moment).

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,243 Posts
I forget how I got comfortable with that to be honest. Drawing a blank at the moment.

I found this in the FAQ on Direct Lift's website. Looks like 4" min thickness if you choose to anchor a four post, but I guess it might be different/less if you choose not to anchor a 4 post (which is ok to do) ?

• What are the concrete requirements?
Our 2 post lifts require 4” minimum thickness and 3000 psi, if you choose to anchor our four post lifts we also require 4” minimum thickness and 3000 psi. See the installation manual for more details or click here for a complete online listing of our manuals.
I find it very odd and a bit suspicious that they would list the same concrete thickness requirements for both their 2 and 4 post lifts unless their 2 post is a really light duty lift with a low capacity. Typically, 2 post lifts mfr's require more than 4" of concrete.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,609 Posts
What are your lifts powered by? Hydraulics, pure electric, something else? I had the MaxJax in the old garage, but new build I think I'd like to get away from hydraulic if I can.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
This sounds like how I got comfortable with my concrete thickness and 4 post lift. (y)

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
I find it very odd and a bit suspicious that they would list the same concrete thickness requirements for both their 2 and 4 post lifts unless their 2 post is a really light duty lift with a low capacity. Typically, 2 post lifts mfr's require more than 4" of concrete.
Their manual for my 4 post goes on in pretty good detail about what to do in regards to beefing up the pad in a 2 post lift situation if anchoring is not successful. It's kind of confusing IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Mike, how did you check the thickness and psi?

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,639 Posts
What are your lifts powered by? Hydraulics, pure electric, something else? I had the MaxJax in the old garage, but new build I think I'd like to get away from hydraulic if I can.
I can't speak with any authority on other manufacturer's products, but DirectLift relies on 110V electric to power a 1HP motor/pump to drive a hydraulic cylinder that actuates steel cables that do the actual lifting. Once in position, an Adjustable Lock Ladder Leveling System supports the weight, relieving tension/pressure from the cables and cylinder.

I'm not Mike, but I'd like to better-understand your question. Are you asking how he determined that DirectLift requires the same pad specs for both 2- and 4-post lifts, or how you can confirm the thickness/spec of an existing pad? (I can't speak to the former, but I'm pretty sure the only paths to the latter are to check with your builder or possibly remove a core sample from the pad.)

Obviously, you should do what you need to to be comfortable, but the fact of the matter is, the 4-post lifts about which we're talking add about 1 ton to the weight of the car, but distribute the total weight over a wider area than the 4 wheels you would otherwise park on the concrete. Notably, they don't require drilling the pad, which secures the lift in place, but might undermine the pad's integrity.
...a 4-post lift distributes the weight of the car + lift over an area greater than the car's 4 wheels normally do
This is a big key... 4 post lifts can basically go anywhere. They distribute the weight to 4 contact points and they also don’t have any twisting moment.
FWIW, I know multiple car guys who've added 4-post lifts to their existing garages - none have experienced any problems.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,243 Posts
After buying my house, I found that my lift's base plate anchors were loose. After trying to torque them, two of the anchor studs pulled out of the concrete, and many of the others would not torque. The anchor holes went completely through the concrete, which made it possible for me to use a hooked wire to determine the depth. It was only 3 to 3-1/2". I never tried to check the composition of the concrete because I was replacing it. I cut an 8' x 12' section of the concrete floor out, and then as part of my house remodel, I had the concrete sub-contractor poor a 6" slab using 4,000psi concrete. Lift mfr called for a minimum of 5-1/2" slab of 3,000psi concrete.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Excellent question I did my research and chose Backyard Buddy. They were delivered and installed by a local company Reliable Hydraulic recommenced by the manufacture. I had two of my garage doors adjusted to extended height and had 3 Liftmaster torsion spring openers installed. It has now been eight years and I couldn’t be happier. One lift has a solid deck for motorcycles, the other has sliding jack trays to facilitate repairs if necessary.
Both lifts have a broad footprint so they did not have to be bolted down, and I ordered the casters so they can be moved if necessary.
‘Well worth the purchase price, highly recommende.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You know guys, for us poor folk GT500 owners who have to suffer using a portable Quick-Jack system and lay down on a creeper just to install their MGW Gen 2 shifters, you are really bumming me out with all the pictures of your lifts and multiple cars! LOL! :LOL: Seriously though, I am just thrilled to have finally been lucky enough to acquire my 2012. Jason, all I can tell you is the guys on this forum, especially Goose (no offense meant to anyone else, you are all the best), are the ultimate place to be for your questions. I have learned more from these dudes and received the BEST advice! They are AWESOME. And now, I will go look at my one and only 2012 GT500 and dream of the day when I might be able to afford a brand new one! Go get em guys, and I LOVE seeing all these great pictures of your garages!!! Someday...........

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,388 Posts
love my 4 post.If you get a four post the light kit is a must LOL never use a drop light again😎
Never knew that existed...! Got a link?

·
Registered
factory five 1965 AC cobra 5.4 gt50
596 Posts
Never knew that existed...! Got a link?
Yessir and they are great lol.literally lights up the whole bottom of car😎.i don’t know howto post a link🤦🏻‍♂️So here is a snap shot of them on amazon and can find that way.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
987 Posts
OK. You guys are NOT helping with my excitement. Especially you @Njja I have their 7000 Workforce Lift on the way. 84” of clearance underneath! Almost enough to park the Raptor under it but not quite. It will open up a door space for my new daily. I’ll be able to park in my garage through the winter. No more scraping, hehe 😊

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK. You guys are NOT helping with my excitement. Especially you @Njja I have their 7000 Workforce Lift on the way. 84” of clearance underneath! Almost enough to park the Raptor under it but not quite. It will open up a door space for my new daily. I’ll be able to park in my garage through the winter. No more scraping, hehe 😊
Ha, got to love the Cobra! Mine is a 2011 with 3,000 miles patiently waiting for its turn on the pavement again! Ferrari has permanent ground level storage for weekend use!
AA0B3077-3F13-466C-9D32-A7D0E09015F3.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
SWEET stable of vehicles!!! I see you are local to Atlanta -- me too. @mavisky (Kyle) is also local. (y) Nice C6 -- I have a yellow one. :)

Check out the Southeast section of the forum if you get a chance -- we are working on a Tail of the Dragon event.
Thanks! Yes I’m in Kennesaw, my C6 is the 427, I always wanted one since the 1960’s. It’s got 505 HP but Cobra is faster with 550HP. Fit and finish on my Cobra is terrific especially the Engine.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts