Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #41
The weather will cooperate soon. Have faith. I've been wanting to drive "the dragon" and skyline drive since the day I brought home the car I've been dreaming about since age 13. My dad brought home an 82 copper colored Cobra. He worked for Ford for 40 years. Hopefully we can get a group together soon.:smile:
10-4! I'm keepin' the faith! We will get something organized. :rocker:

Cool story about your Dad. Is the 82 still in the family?

Registered
10-4! I'm keepin' the faith! We will get something organized. :rocker:

Cool story about your Dad. Is the 82 still in the family?
I wish!! Said he got it for my mom :laugh: She didn't even know how to drive a stick. There were a lot of cars and trucks I wish were still in the family. The big ones for me were the 67 Mustang, 289 and the 82 Cobra. Always been a mustang guy.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #43
I am fully intending to try and run at least one day at wannagofast this year.
I heard a rumor yesterday that wannagofast is not doing any Georgia events this year. It was confirmed by another guy at work today who said that the event has now been reorganized by a different sponsor (Vengeance Racing). I just checked their website and it looks like it is a go!

Speed Addicts ? 1/2 Mile Racing in LaGrange

Registered
Just mapped it from my house. 6 1/2 hours. That's doable. Are you participating?

Registered
I heard a rumor yesterday that wannagofast is not doing any Georgia events this year. It was confirmed by another guy at work today who said that the event has now been reorganized by a different sponsor (Vengeance Racing). I just checked their website and it looks like it is a go!

Speed Addicts ? 1/2 Mile Racing in LaGrange
Should have quoted you on my last post. Rookie mistake. :grin:

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #46
Just mapped it from my house. 6 1/2 hours. That's doable. Are you participating?
Should have quoted you on my last post. Rookie mistake. :grin:
I want to see how much $ it is first, but if past events are any indication, it is not an inexpensive outing. That being said, I'm 99% sure I'm going to do it. The event is May 19-20 and driver registration goes live to the public on 4/6 @ 8:00am. You don't have to register for both days either. So might could do a Tail of the Dragon and Speed Addicts in one weekend -- one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Just thinking out loud at this point.

Let's keep in touch as we get closer. I'll continue to check the website for updates.

Registered
Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway. Skyline Drive, we should decide soon. With the weather about to break finding available hotel rooms will get harder the longer we wait. I don't want to have to get there, have fun all day then have to drive all the way home. Where's everyone else from the beginning of this thread?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #48
Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway. Skyline Drive, we should decide soon. With the weather about to break finding available hotel rooms will get harder the longer we wait. I don't want to have to get there, have fun all day then have to drive all the way home. Where's everyone else from the beginning of this thread?
I agree on doing something soon and doing an overnight, either a Saturday night or even a Friday night if a weekday is an option for folks. I'd be willing to use a vacation day from work to avoid some of the traffic, i.e. better enjoy the roads.

I keep coming around to something like what I mentioned in this post earlier in the thread.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/21-south-eastern-forum/177089-ga-tn-nc-sc-spring-2018-get-together.html#post2535578

What if we all met in Tellico Plains TN, the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway on a Friday at around 10am - noon. Kind of a work our way from west to east thing. Do the skyway heading east and the Tail of the Dragon that day/afternoon. Spent the night in Franklin NC and that morning do that "loop" that Joe ( @fastback ) mentioned (that I included a map of in that post) and then depart from there.

Of course, instead of doing the Fri/Sat thing, we could always make it a Sat/Sun thing.

I'll try to map the whole thing later today or tonight and post up a graphic of what it would look like, mileage, etc..

Thoughts gents on this proposal, route, days of the weeks, etc.?

Registered
I agree on doing something soon and doing an overnight, either a Saturday night or even a Friday night if a weekday is an option for folks. I'd be willing to use a vacation day from work to avoid some of the traffic, i.e. better enjoy the roads.

I keep coming around to something like what I mentioned in this post earlier in the thread.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/21-south-eastern-forum/177089-ga-tn-nc-sc-spring-2018-get-together.html#post2535578

What if we all met in Tellico Plains TN, the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway on a Friday at around 10am - noon. Kind of a work our way from west to east thing. Do the skyway heading east and the Tail of the Dragon that day/afternoon. Spent the night in Franklin NC and that morning do that "loop" that Joe ( @fastback ) mentioned (that I included a map of in that post) and then depart from there.

Of course, instead of doing the Fri/Sat thing, we could always make it a Sat/Sun thing.

I'll try to map the whole thing later today or tonight and post up a graphic of what it would look like, mileage, etc..

Thoughts gents on this proposal, route, days of the weeks, etc.?
Just mapped a great route from my house to Tellico Plains staying off the interstate. Right at 6 hours. The wife is in which is good. :grin:

Registered
Just mapped a great route from my house to Tellico Plains staying off the interstate. Right at 6 hours. The wife is in which is good. :grin:
4 1/2 hours on the interstate. Probably better if we're going to meet at 10AM

Registered
Coming from the east Tellico is out of the way. There is not an ideal place for all to meet. From the east we usually gather at Fontana Dam. Franklin is out of the way if you want to run the Dragon early morning before traffic gets out there. Robbinsville has a couple places to stay. There is a Microtel there that treats you well. Restaurants are limited and I think it's a dry county.

Regardless of where you meet someone is going to do some extra driving. There is not a good way to do the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway without extra driving. If you start in Tellico Plains, drive the Skyway and then the Dragon you have to drive one of them again to stay in Robbinsville or Franklin unless you just drive one of the roads each day.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #52
Coming from the east Tellico is out of the way. There is not an ideal place for all to meet. From the east we usually gather at Fontana Dam. Franklin is out of the way if you want to run the Dragon early morning before traffic gets out there. Robbinsville has a couple places to stay. There is a Microtel there that treats you well. Restaurants are limited and I think it's a dry county.

Regardless of where you meet someone is going to do some extra driving. There is not a good way to do the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway without extra driving. If you start in Tellico Plains, drive the Skyway and then the Dragon you have to drive one of them again to stay in Robbinsville or Franklin unless you just drive one of the roads each day.
Good input, @alan0614 ! Yea, definitely, it is hard to come up w/ a plan that works for all -- someone is going to have to do some extra driving. Maybe if we can get this to be a yearly thing, we switch it up the next year to make it even for everyone.

In any case, I used your input and did some mapping. Here's what I came up with to achieve the Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon and the Franklin-Brevard-Waynesville-Franklin "loop" in a couple of days give or take.

Day 1 -- Cherohala Skyway (once) and the Dragon (twice)
Start in Tellico Plains mid-morningish and take the Cherohala Skyway heading east to Robbinsville. From Robbinsville, head north to Deals Gap and do the first run of the Dragon ending up in Chilhowee. Turn around in Chilhowee and make the second run of the Dragon heading back toward Deals Gap. From Deals Gap, drive the 2 hours to Frankin to spend the night.

As you can see from the map, that's about 150 miles and 4 hours of driving (non-stop). Figure in 1-2 hours for pit stops and picture taking and call it 6 hours.

Day 2 -- Franklin to Brevard to Waynesville to Franklin (we'll call this the Joe @fastback Loop )
Get up fairly early and do this 3 hour 40 minute (non-stop) loop. Folks from the east and north could jump off at Waynesville to head home, while us southern guys can head back to Franklin and on to Atlanta (in my case for example) or thereabouts.

How about it gents? :grin:

Attachments

Registered
We could meet up with people coming from the east around noon in Robbinsville.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #55
Here is the map for the Robbinsville "loop" -- Robbinsville to Deals Gap, the run the Dragon to Chilhowee and then on to Vonore, Ballplay and Tellico Plains, then run the Cherohala Skyway back to Robbinsville.

Map says 127 miles and 3 hrs and 15 minutes (non-stop). Call it 4-5 hours with pit stops and pic taking opportunities.

This seems like an "achievable" route for an afternoon if we meet in Robbinsville around noon.

Might be easier to go from Vonore to Madisonville to Tellico Plains. Anyone have any experience with / input on that?

Attachments

Registered
Let's do it! Now we just have to decide the date. BTW, the Microtel is perfect. We're Wyndham members. :)

Registered
Let's do it! Now we just have to decide the date. BTW, the Microtel is perfect. We're Wyndham members. :)
In! Let's set a date and make the shirts.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Registered
If we are doing a Friday, April 6/7 And 13/14 are the only ones that'll work for me.

Chris

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #59
Hey Chris! ( @Homebrw ) Great to hear from you and glad to hear you might be freeing up a bit from work. Know you've been swamped!

Ok, guys, let's get down to brass tacks. Let's decide what we want to do and when we want to do it.

Here are the options as I see it:

1. Just do a one day/half day event (the "Robbinsville loop")
Meet in Robbinsville at midday, do the Dragon and Skyway and spend the night in Robbinsville. Next morning everyone departs and does their own thing.
Pros: easier and more flexibility for folks
Cons:
-- you're coming this far, why not go whole hog w/ option 2 or 3 below?
-- is Robbinsville in a dry county? Not that I'm looking to get blitzed but a drink w/ some newfound Shelby friends after a day of driving sounds really good!

2. Do a two day event staying the night in Robbinsville (the "Robbinsville loop" and the "Franklin loop")
Meet in Robbinsville at midday, do the Dragon and Skyway and spend the night in Robbinsville. (same 1st day as Option 1)
Next morning drive the 2 hours to Franklin NC and proceed to do the "Franklin loop". Folks can depart at any time/point that makes sense for them on that route (the east guys might jump off at Brevard for instance, the north guys might jump off at Waynesville)
Pros: makes for a shorter and perhaps more reasonable 1st day than option 3 below, given people will be driving from whereever to get to Robbinsville by noon-ish on the 1st day
Cons: makes for a longer 2nd day

3. Do a two day event staying the night in Franklin NC (the "Robbinsville loop" and the "Franklin loop")
Meet in Robbinsville at midday, do the Dragon and Skyway and spend the night in Franklin NC (a 2 hour drive from Robbinsville).
Next morning do the "Franklin loop". Folks can depart at any time/point that makes sense for them on that route (the east guys might jump off at Brevard for instance, the north guys might jump off at Waynesville)
Pros: makes for a longer 1st day than option 2 above
Cons: makes for a shorter 2nd day

I've reattached the maps with miles and driving times (non-stop) for your reference in voting.

Dates
Personally, I would prefer to do this on a Friday / Saturday rather than a Saturday / Sunday, just to avoid some of the traffic. Let's hear some thoughts on that.

I can do
-- Mar 30/31 (Fri/Sat)
-- Apr 13/14 (Fri/Sat)
-- Apr 20/21 (Fri/Sat)

Unless we can't make April work, I'd say let's hold off on talking May at this point.

Attachments

Registered
Leaning towards option 2 or 3 Fletch. Not really concerned regarding the dry county thing. I bring my libations wherever I go anyway. :)
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait until May anyway to avoid those "April showers". Not that I wouldn't come if everyone decides on an April date. Just offering my 2 cents.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts