Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2022 GRABBER BLUE TRACK PACK
1,091 Posts
whoomp there it is! 3/8" disconnect tool will help a lot. also the line is going to be pressurized and spray like a little fire hydrant so have rags ready. best to do it after sitting for 6 hrs or even over night.

· Registered
'22 GT500
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just going to siphon some less than fresh gas…the lazy way.

bypass fuel pump and drain from fuel line.

Is there a tip for depressurization fuel line before disconnecting

· Registered
2022 GRABBER BLUE TRACK PACK
1,091 Posts
Just going to siphon some less than fresh gas…the lazy way.

bypass fuel pump and drain from fuel line.

Is there a tip for depressurization fuel line before disconnecting
not that I know of but then again I'm a great mechanic until I step in the garage...

· Registered
'22 GT500
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whoomp there it is! 3/8" disconnect tool will help a lot. also the line is going to be pressurized and spray like a little fire hydrant so have rags ready. best to do it after sitting for 6 hrs or even over night.

whatcha installing, proflex commander?
not that I know of but then again I'm a great mechanic until I step in the garage...
🤣🤣 it was recommend to pull the fuel pump relay, crank the car, and since no new gas will be pumped into the engine with the relay pulled…it will empty the fuel rails = depressurized.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
🤣🤣 it was recommend to pull the fuel pump relay, crank the car, and since no new gas will be pumped into the engine with the relay pulled…it will empty the fuel rails = depressurized.
I did something similar on my 2017 GT Mustang 2 years ago, you are correct Chad, remove the fuel pump relay in the fuse box, ( black box in front of the car) and your fuel pump is off.

I did this for another reason, just confirming you're right. :unsure: 🤷‍♀️

· Registered
'22 GT500
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did something similar on my 2017 GT Mustang 2 years ago, you are correct Chad, remove the fuel pump relay in the fuse box, ( black box in front of the car) and your fuel pump is off.

I did this for another reason, just confirming you're right. :unsure: 🤷‍♀️
Thank you for the added confidence. I am still a rookie for sure at attempting to be a car mechanic…and then acknowledging I am learning on almost $100,000 pure beast!

your insight is super appreciated

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Thank you for the added confidence. I am still a rookie for sure at attempting to be a car mechanic…and then acknowledging I am learning on almost $100,000 pure beast!

your insight is super appreciated
I was a pretty good mechanic on old school Muscle cars, these Newer cars I am like you learning as I go, Yes learning on a 100K plus car is daunting task. Like you Asking Questions on here is smart, before doing something that can F up your car.

Chad, you'll be a good mech soon, you're already smart enough to know, to ask questions. In the Navy we had a saying, the only dumb question, is the question you didn't ask. Never feel embarrassed to ask questions, this forum is great for that, lots of smart knowledgeable people on here.

I am a Rookie too, with these newer cars. Good luck Chad.

· Registered
421 Posts
don't the Mustangs have a fuel pump relay shut off in the trunk somewhere? I thought it could be triggered automatically if we got into an accident? Pretty sure the regular mustangs have it but not sure the Gt500 does?

· Premium Member
2022 DMG CFTP
261 Posts
Edit: glanced over others’ fuse recommendation. Sure that’s also fine.

Behind the cloth trunk liner on the driver's side are harnesses for the two fuel pumps. Each has a yellow, sliding lock that you slide out of the harness and the harness will then unclip. Start the car and it will stall out = no fuel pressure. Connect the harness back once you're done and you're good to go. I have done this several times. Seems complicated but it's not.
Automotive design Font Auto part Electronic device Automotive lighting

· Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
10,606 Posts
If you're disconnecting the fuel line, the fuel that's actually pressurized is only a momentary burst. The rest of the fuel in the line isn't going anywhere until the system is opened up and that's where the bulk of your lost fuel will come from. Just make sure the engine is cold and use shop rags or the blue paper towels around and below the connector. Many fuel systems will lose fuel pressure overnight, so refrain from priming the pump by priming the fuel system with the start button.

· Registered
'22 GT500
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good question (y)
Yes. Exactly. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Keep miles low so I can enjoy it a long, long time.

If life throws me a curveball, be able to recoup my initial investment.

But when I do drive it, have a blast in it.

fresh gas is critical to bringing this fuel circle. Already got ethanol free 93 in the tank. It’s about 3 months old (from pump) so probably older.

figure if I get fresh in the tank, when the next pretty day comes I can thoroughly enjoy my joy ride 😎

· Registered
'22 GT500
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're disconnecting the fuel line, the fuel that's actually pressurized is only a momentary burst. The rest of the fuel in the line isn't going anywhere until the system is opened up and that's where the bulk of your lost fuel will come from. Just make sure the engine is cold and use shop rags or the blue paper towels around and below the connector. Many fuel systems will lose fuel pressure overnight, so refrain from priming the pump by priming the fuel system with the start button.
I haven’t driven in two weeks. Should I worry about any pressure that would spray an excess amount of gas that a couple of blue shop towels couldn’t absorb?

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
I haven’t driven in two weeks. Should I worry about any pressure that would spray an excess amount of gas that a couple of blue shop towels couldn’t absorb?
Two weeks, You shouldn't have much spray if your mistress has been sitting that long. Catmonkey knows a lot about these cars.

· Registered
'22 GT500
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Edit: glanced over others’ fuse recommendation. Sure that’s also fine.

Behind the cloth trunk liner on the driver's side are harnesses for the two fuel pumps. Each has a yellow, sliding lock that you slide out of the harness and the harness will then unclip. Start the car and it will stall out = no fuel pressure. Connect the harness back once you're done and you're good to go. I have done this several times. Seems complicated but it's not.
View attachment 261615
Glasses Hood Vision care Automotive tire Sleeve

looks like I found the clips. Can’t hurt to unplug them and be a little extra safe.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Yes. Exactly. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Keep miles low so I can enjoy it a long, long time.

If life throws me a curveball, be able to recoup my initial investment.

But when I do drive it, have a blast in it.

fresh gas is critical to bringing this fuel circle. Already got ethanol free 93 in the tank. It’s about 3 months old (from pump) so probably older.

figure if I get fresh in the tank, when the next pretty day comes I can thoroughly enjoy my joy ride 😎
I forgot, A lot of you who live in the USA, put your cars in hibernation, do to weather, Here its never cold, rainy season, my 500, may go 10 days to 15 days sitting without driving it, but I usually always start it up and run it 30mins if I don't drive it, Rainy season here we'll get 150 inches a year, 100 to 120 of that is in a 3 month period, So flooding in and around town is a concern.
So The mistress stays park 70% of the time during that 3 months,

Right now, the weather is great, Went to the track yesterday, going to wash the Mistress now, maybe take her on a cruise this afternoon. For the next 6 months I'll be ringing up the miles, I'll get my money out of her no matter how many miles I put on her ;)

· Super Moderator
8,555 Posts
You should worry about that animal inside the car that wants abuse through right pedal pounding! It may come for you in your sleep if you don’t drive it more 🤣

Reactions: Goose17
1 - 20 of 29 Posts