Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to make some upgrades to my 08 Super Snake with the TVS blower. Rated at 605hp package and I thought it was all original from Shelby. Going through boxes from the previous owner and found an SCT X3 tuner. It is locked to the car with a tune from Quantum Performance (now out of business). As far as I can tell the blower has the original 3" pulley. I've noticed about 13-14psi on the boost gauge.

Since it has a tune that I don't know much about I figured I should find a good local shop to redo it. Might as well make some upgrades at the same time. Not looking to go crazy, likely just pulley and maybe throttle body. The car came with the ford racing 113mm maf housing and intake. Much of an advantage to swap that out too?

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
88 Posts
Mine is not a super snake, but is a similar setup. 08 with FRPP TVS. I am using a VMP hi-flow elbow (supercharger opening was ported to match) with VMP Twin67, JLT 123 and 2.5 Pulley. I was also at 13psi with 3” pulley and no porting. However, with the 2.5” pulley (which is the smallest the FRPP will take) you will need fuel upgrades. I installed 52lb (2013) Injectors for now. Even then, I’m at 92% Duty Cycle on pumps and 99% on the Injectors. Know your intentions. A hit on the freeway in Mexico every now and then is okay. Racing (prolonged) with these numbers is asking for trouble. I can’t help with who to ask for a tune. I got frustrated when I wanted to do a TVS swap because they wanted a dyno tune for injector data, which I thought should be plug and play info. So I bought HPTuners, an AFR (essential pre-‘11) gauge and am learning to tune myself. It’s not perfect yet, but it’s almost there. It’s a very steep learning curve though and I don’t recommend unless you have a good understanding of what each parameter on the car does and have money set aside for a new motor (good excuse to get aluminum block lol).
That being said, a 2.5 pulley on a TVS, with a good Elbow/TB, Injectors, and 3.73s runs very strong. I feel no need to go further because I don’t want to waste $700 on drag radials every few months when I have other cars begging for money too lol. I figure that tires with less grip will save my drivetrain from major shock loads (stock 08 clutch so far, so fingers crossed) The 555 G2s hold up pretty well as long as you have good temps, a flat surface, and good karma on your side lol.
Forgot about the intake lol. The 113mm is ok. Not a whole lot to be gained going 123mm. I’m not even close to pegging the MAF voltage on it with this setup and I think the 113 may be the same. You could, as some threads have pointed out, anywhere from 10-20hp. It may have been dyno variations or real gains. Others have stated 110mm is enough for 750hp. You sacrifice low speed resolution for WOT performance the larger you go. That being said though, I have none of those symptoms and just liked the one-piece design of the 123mm vs the multi-piece 110mm I had. It was an aesthetic thing for me. The FRPP 113mm is another looker for me. I like parts that look closer to OEM than custom. Hence searching for FRPP TVS to begin with. Anyway, I felt rather chatty today (as I’m sure you noticed) and I’d be glad to answer other questions. One day, I’d like to see a tuning section setup on this forum. I hate how much info I can find on GM tuning but nothing on Ford stuff. Soon, I may decide to create videos teaching others how to tune their 07-09 GT500s using HPTuners too. It’s very involved, very risky, but oh so gratifying when you get little issues sorted. I daily my car to work and my wife hates that now I datalog to and from work everyday lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed info. Fuel system was a question I am trying to figure out. Not sure if the SS package changed my injectors or not, will have to look into it. My car already has 3.73's and I also have DR's for track days. I'm not looking to go crazy with power, but figured if I am going to get it dyno tuned a few upgrades wouldn't hurt.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
Mine is not a super snake, but is a similar setup. 08 with FRPP TVS. I am using a VMP hi-flow elbow (supercharger opening was ported to match) with VMP Twin67, JLT 123 and 2.5 Pulley. I was also at 13psi with 3” pulley and no porting. However, with the 2.5” pulley (which is the smallest the FRPP will take) you will need fuel upgrades. I installed 52lb (2013) Injectors for now. Even then, I’m at 92% Duty Cycle on pumps and 99% on the Injectors. Know your intentions. A hit on the freeway in Mexico every now and then is okay. Racing (prolonged) with these numbers is asking for trouble. I can’t help with who to ask for a tune. I got frustrated when I wanted to do a TVS swap because they wanted a dyno tune for injector data, which I thought should be plug and play info. So I bought HPTuners, an AFR (essential pre-‘11) gauge and am learning to tune myself. It’s not perfect yet, but it’s almost there. It’s a very steep learning curve though and I don’t recommend unless you have a good understanding of what each parameter on the car does and have money set aside for a new motor (good excuse to get aluminum block lol).
That being said, a 2.5 pulley on a TVS, with a good Elbow/TB, Injectors, and 3.73s runs very strong. I feel no need to go further because I don’t want to waste $700 on drag radials every few months when I have other cars begging for money too lol. I figure that tires with less grip will save my drivetrain from major shock loads (stock 08 clutch so far, so fingers crossed) The 555 G2s hold up pretty well as long as you have good temps, a flat surface, and good karma on your side lol.
Forgot about the intake lol. The 113mm is ok. Not a whole lot to be gained going 123mm. I’m not even close to pegging the MAF voltage on it with this setup and I think the 113 may be the same. You could, as some threads have pointed out, anywhere from 10-20hp. It may have been dyno variations or real gains. Others have stated 110mm is enough for 750hp. You sacrifice low speed resolution for WOT performance the larger you go. That being said though, I have none of those symptoms and just liked the one-piece design of the 123mm vs the multi-piece 110mm I had. It was an aesthetic thing for me. The FRPP 113mm is another looker for me. I like parts that look closer to OEM than custom. Hence searching for FRPP TVS to begin with. Anyway, I felt rather chatty today (as I’m sure you noticed) and I’d be glad to answer other questions. One day, I’d like to see a tuning section setup on this forum. I hate how much info I can find on GM tuning but nothing on Ford stuff. Soon, I may decide to create videos teaching others how to tune their 07-09 GT500s using HPTuners too. It’s very involved, very risky, but oh so gratifying when you get little issues sorted. I daily my car to work and my wife hates that now I datalog to and from work everyday lol.
Excellent advice!

I’ll add to make sure you find a tuner that is well versed in these cars. If you cannot find one locally, reach out to VMP, Lund or Palm Beach Dyno.

I’ll also second the “know your fuel thing.” Super Snakes don’t come with robust fuel setups that have safety margins. A friend of mine blew his Super Snake motor running hard at a track... the fuel system wasn’t up to the task and it went lean. He is not alone. Running these cars short on fuel supply is the quickest way to kill your engine.

Reactions: Vette_vs_Stang

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
Our resident SS expert might add a few details @Robert M

Also, might reach out to BJ with VenomousTuning [email protected]

I‘msure several forum members will tell you his knowledge of these cars and his customer service is tops

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,727 Posts
The FRPP TVS was a kit that was 50 state legal, and as such came with it's own tune with a Pro-Cal flash device. I'm not sure what front pulley came on the supercharger, but 3" isn't out of the question. That's the same diameter the M-122 came with. I'm fairly sure that's how Shelby would have sold the car. It came with no injectors or fuel pump mods. That TVS housing was developed by Roush and used in their Mustang GT kits. They had some sort of collaboration with VMP who sold that supercharger as their Gen 1 with some modifications to the inlet and a ported elbow. The FRPP can easily be matched to the Gen 1 performance. There have been sever iterations to the 2.3 TVS platform, so there are better flowing units available, but will require fuel mods and MAF mods and a tune. The factory boost gauge uses inferred data from the PCM and attempts to mimic boost. It's doubtful you're making that much boost with a 3" pulley.

Unless you're bound by the CARB certification, you might get the VMP elbow and port the supercharger inlet and install a smaller supercharger pulley, before stepping up to a new tune.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply’s. The boost gauge is auto meter so I believe it more than the stock gauge you’re referencing. The super snake package adds three gauges in a pod.

So it definitely sounds like fuel system mods should be in my plan before the pulley and TB. I’d love to find a local tuner near MA but will contact Venomous if I can’t.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,727 Posts
A lot of mechanical gauges read higher than they should, if that's what Shelby uses. I say that because I would expect around 12 psi with a 3" pulley. You should expect to install larger injectors, a 123mm MAF tube and a boost-a-pump. I'm another vote for BJ.

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
Back when BJ was with VMP, I looked at increasing the performance of my FRPP TVS. My 40th has the same setup as your SS. VMP had a power package for the FRPP TVS and 113mm CAI that included a 2.5” pulley, idler, SCT and a time for around $1200. ThIs package would add around 50rwhp. VMP showed that this package would be safe to use the fuel system that we have. No additional mods needed.

Adding an elbow, TB, 123mm JLT CAI and updates to the fuel system would give you a nice increase.

Personally, if I had your car and the money, I would swap out to the 2.8 KB (polished) setup like your 40th has. It is period correct for your SS and what made the car a legend. Keep all of the parts for the FRPP setup that was originally put in the car just in case the next owner wants to put it back to the original SS build.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the 3" pulley on mine and the original 2.7" pulley in a box. Had planned to put the 2.7 on but I can barely get traction with the 3" so I just left it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts