Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ford Racing is now providing their Procal II programmer when you purchase and register their Cold Air Intake kit for the GT500 PN M-9603-SVT07.

The Procal II is not as sophisticated or as capable as the SCTs and the Diablos, but it's much nicer than the previous generation Procal. This one allows you to adjust for tire size, differential gear ratio and offers a 2-step octane adjustment. With the octane adjust - you initially set "N" and if you hear knocking, you re-program with "Y". You can also read/clear diagnostic trouble-codes with it.

The instructions that come with the Procal II are pretty good, but lack pictures so I'll attempt to compensate for that.

You can download the Procal II instructions from the following Ford Racing site:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/calibration/instructions.pdf

There is a Multi Media Card (MMC) that comes with it - I suspect the performance calibration and perhaps any firmware updates are stored on that card.

You have to pull the rubber boot off the bottom of the unit to expose the card slot.

Then gently insert the MMC (label side up) until it clicks into place.

Here is the Procal II next to the original Procal.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are some of the Procal II screens used while programming the PCM:

Here is the start-up menu; select "Programming" to program the PCM.

Use this screen to select between the performance calibration and the stock calibration.

This screen allows you to select user adjustable parameters:

This screen allows you to adjust tire size in revolutions/mile. Made some speed checks against a GPS for a few settings and ended up dialing in 772, which is equivalent to an 82" tire circumference with the stock 3.31 gear ratio. The speedometer still read a tad higher (< 1 mph) than the GPS indicated speed with stock GY F1 Supercars. This is close enough for me.

Once you select "Save Changes" it begins loading the calibration; you can actually see the load progress now....

... until it's done. I don't know what that warn light indicates, but everything seems fine.

The green OK light comes on along with an acknowledgement that the "Performance Calibration" is installed once you cycle the key off, back on and select ENTER.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nice write up Ivan!

·
Registered
121 Posts
so this programmer comes with the cai kit from ford racing?im having mine done in a few days at the dealership,will they give me the programmer once they program and r/r the cai?

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I'm curious how your dealer is going to get the programmer. It is not in the CAI box from FRPP. There is a voucher in the box for the owner to complete and mail in and then FRPP mails you the programmer

·
Registered
121 Posts
the dealership took some info offthe computer and they stated will get new program in 2 days than they could install the cai and than reprogram the computer

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
so this programmer comes with the cai kit from ford racing?im having mine done in a few days at the dealership,will they give me the programmer once they program and r/r the cai?
The tuner does not come in the box with the CAI kit. Instead you get a voucher with a unique code that you use to register the CAI on the Ford Racing website. Once registered, Ford Racing ships you the Procal tuner by over-night mail; you get it quick. Your dealer should give you the tuner; afterall you paid for it plus it's locked to your PCM somehow. It contains your stock calibration so you'll want it should you ever need to return the car to stock. You can also use it to compensate your speedometer for gear and tire changes. I am confident your dealer will give you the tuner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer gave me mine (older ProCal). You'll need it if you ever have to return the car to stock tune or change anything.

·
Registered
354 Posts
when the cai goes on what exactly does the programmer do what changes to the pcm like timing etc?
thanks
It's a totally different tune. Mostly, it compensates for the extra air flow by by recalibrating your MAF so it doesn't peg, i.e. it will be able to add extra fuel as needed. That's why running a CAI without a tune can be disasterous, as you will run lean. Pro Cal timing does not change much, if at all. Ford keeps timing conservative so they can tune for all variables. That's where you will benefit from a custom tune, as timing and fuel curves are more aggressive, while still safe. Any one of the good tuners will write you a tune for your specific area and set-up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to get the FRPP cold air kit, but I don't think the ProCal would be useful to me. I mean, I would like to do a pulley swap, maybe at the same time as putting in the cold air, and I'd like a programmer that could handle both.
Anyone go with the FRPP cold air, but use a different programmer?

·
Registered
354 Posts
You are referring to the rev limiter, and the Pro Cal does not raise it. I wouldn't suggest raising it on this car anyway, as the 5.4 has a long stroke and you'd be asking for trouble.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would like to get the FRPP cold air kit, but I don't think the ProCal would be useful to me. I mean, I would like to do a pulley swap, maybe at the same time as putting in the cold air, and I'd like a programmer that could handle both.
Anyone go with the FRPP cold air, but use a different programmer?
Yes I have the FRPP CAI and TVS but I went with an SCT tune for the reasons I mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm not sure if the Shelby has a top speed limiter. Anyone know?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah- 155mph. Can remove it with SCT flash device- dont know about the Procal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts