Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car back from having the FRPP handling pack installed. Pics attached. I will add another tomorrow of an unexpected bonus piece that I didn't snap today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Looks good. So, how much did the handling pack end up lowering it?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good. So, how much did the handling pack end up lowering it?
As close as I can tell, 1.75". I used to be able to get my fist between the tire and the rim in the back, now maybe 2 fingers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is this the handling pack for the 05-07 Mustang GT or the one designed for the GT500?

How does it handle? Definitely looks great!!!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Orf,
It really looks nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks Great!!!!! How much $$$$$$ did it cost??????

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I just got my car back from having the FRPP handling pack installed. Pics attached. I will add another tomorrow of an unexpected bonus piece that I didn't snap today.
I like it!!:D

That is definately the way these cars should look.

What all does the package include? What was the cost of the package and installation? Who did the install?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is this the handling pack for the 05-07 Mustang GT or the one designed for the GT500?

How does it handle? Definitely looks great!!!
This is the one for the GT500. FRPP Part No. M-2007-SVT3.

It handles very well. Much less body roll in turns. I have the shocks set half way between "softest" and "hardest". It is pretty firm.

Looks Great!!!!! How much $$$$$$ did it cost??????
$1749.00

I like it!!:D

That is definately the way these cars should look.

What all does the package include? What was the cost of the package and installation? Who did the install?
The handling pack link is above. The kit includes the following:

Tokico Adjustable shocks M-18000-C

Springs M-5300-L

Sway Bars M-5490-A

I ordered the kit through, and had it installed at, the dealership where I bought the car. The Master Tech there has taken a liking to my car and the mods I've had done. I'm not sure what the install charge was, as I was too excited to take it out on the road to try it out. I'll let you know when the bill comes.

And as a special added bonus, they included a new tower brace. The second picture shows the neat feature when viewed in the correct light.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Very tempting, very tempting. I think I just found something to add to my wish list. I like the new strut brace too. I've been meaning to buy a new one so I can have it painted blue.

Looks awesome, orf!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
This is the one for the GT500. FRPP Part No. M-2007-SVT3.

It handles very well. Much less body roll in turns. I have the shocks set half way between "softest" and "hardest". It is pretty firm.

$1749.00

The handling pack link is above. The kit includes the following:

Tokico Adjustable shocks M-18000-C

Springs M-5300-L

Sway Bars M-5490-A

I ordered the kit through, and had it installed at, the dealership where I bought the car. The Master Tech there has taken a liking to my car and the mods I've had done. I'm not sure what the install charge was, as I was too excited to take it out on the road to try it out. I'll let you know when the bill comes.

And as a special added bonus, they included a new tower brace. The second picture shows the neat feature when viewed in the correct light.

Looks good.Can't wait for winter time so I can work on mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Orf,
Thanks for the update and the extra pics. This is the set-up I have been waiting for. I will be swinging by the Ford Dealership to put my order in!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I sure wish Ford would supply some specs on these parts rather than asking use to plunk down $1700 on faith. What are the diameter of the new sway bars? What are the spring rates?

For that kind of coin, there are other options out there too that may or may not be better suited for specific uses. With FRP one would never know what the kit is good for, only its 'better' than stock. Better how?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes. They did a 4 wheel alignment.

The rear wheels are not adjustable on a Shelby or any S197 Mustang so therefore a 4 wheel alignment is not possible. A front end alignment with thrust angle reference is possible but if the thrust angle is not +/- 0.25 deg of the centerline of the car, you have significant suspension or frame damage that must be corrected first.

Anyway, all that can be aligned on these cars is the front angles. Anything other than toe in will require mounting point modifications like new adjustable upper strut mounts or camber bolts in the spindle. Caster and Camber are non adjustable from the factory.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rear wheels are not adjustable on a Shelby or any S197 Mustang so therefore a 4 wheel alignment is not possible. A front end alignment with thrust angle reference is possible but if the thrust angle is not +/- 0.25 deg of the centerline of the car, you have significant suspension or frame damage that must be corrected first.

Anyway, all that can be aligned on these cars is the front angles. Anything other than toe in will require mounting point modifications like new adjustable upper strut mounts or camber bolts in the spindle. Caster and Camber are non adjustable from the factory.
OK. I mis-spoke a little. The machine they used aligns the fronts based off of the location of the rear wheels. That, and I asked them to check the location of the rear wheels becase of what was discussed at the plant tour - rear axle not centered under the car.

So, what I should have said was, "Yes, they checked/adjusted the alignment". My bad.

·
Registered
301 Posts
OK. I mis-spoke a little. The machine they used aligns the fronts based off of the location of the rear wheels. That, and I asked them to check the location of the rear wheels becase of what was discussed at the plant tour - rear axle not centered under the car.

So, what I should have said was, "Yes, they checked/adjusted the alignment". My bad.
Orf,

You were correct. We were made aware of the off center issue, and with the c/ lines being checked they did actually line up off of the rear wheels. Most of the new equipment shows a c/ line front to back, including my Dually.

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm sorry for bringing this out of the gutter, but just so I am sure about it, the kit does not adversely affect the rear axle's position, correct.

Also, does it correct, or lessen, the dive associated with superhard braking?

Improve wheel hop?

Can aftermarket lower control arms still be added?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sorry for bringing this out of the gutter, but just so I am sure about it, the kit does not adversely affect the rear axle's position, correct.

Also, does it correct, or lessen, the dive associated with superhard braking?

Improve wheel hop?

Can aftermarket lower control arms still be added?
It depends on your definition of "adversely affects". Lowering the car will change the location of the rear axle relative to the car's centerline. This is due to the stock panhard rod. Most people could probably live with it, but I couldn't. I had an adjustable panhard rod installed, to center the rear wheels in the wheel wells. If I were to do it again, I would probably have gone with a watts link. I will likely get one to replace my adjustable panhard rod soon.

I try not to perform superhard braking, so I can't answer that one. Although, I would imagine that stiffer springs and a firmer damper would keep the nose from diving as much as it does with the stock setup.

I have BMR LCAs and a Steeda UCA. Those eliminated the wheel hop on mine before the Handling Pack was installed. They are compatible with the Handling pack, but I got relocation brackets for my LCAs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts