Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the ride quality on the FR3 suspension compare to stock? I know that ride/handling is usually a trade off.

I am looking to lower a car a bit without getting a harsh ride. Is the FR3 pack good or do you have other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I have the FRPP lowering springs and Tokico D-Spec shocks & struts. With the shocks set to soft, I notice almost no difference in ride from stock.

·
Registered
191 Posts
How does the ride quality on the FR3 suspension compare to stock? I know that ride/handling is usually a trade off.

I am looking to lower a car a bit without getting a harsh ride. Is the FR3 pack good or do you have other suggestions?
I have mine set on the middle setting...a little harsher than stock but the road feedback and corner grip is so much better than stock...it also hooks way better than it used to

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if you do the Ford springs to drop the car and the Tokico D-Spec struts/shocks for their adjustability, do you also get the sway bars from the FR3 package and put them on or ???

Thanks for the pointers. The car is almost always going to be used as a street car, never for track. Would like to drop it for looks and also tighten things up a bit for better control without the ride getting too harsh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the full kit. I can't compare to stock because I only drove it 6 miles before turning it back over for the install. I like it, though. My brother, who has owned plenty of high performance cars, compared the ride to a BMW saying it felt tight and seemed to track well. It seemed a bit stiff until I did a track day(s) event. The performance and confidence on the track transferred to the street. I wouldn't have one without the FRRP kit now. The folks at Shelby all recommended the FRRP kit over the Eibach, saying the Eibach was too stiff for the street. $.02

·
Registered
191 Posts
So if you do the Ford springs to drop the car and the Tokico D-Spec struts/shocks for their adjustability, do you also get the sway bars from the FR3 package and put them on or ???

Thanks for the pointers. The car is almost always going to be used as a street car, never for track. Would like to drop it for looks and also tighten things up a bit for better control without the ride getting too harsh.
I went with the full FRPP kit, springs, Tokico struts & sway bars...I had to leave my stock strut tower bar on as the FRPP one would not clear the 2.9 Whipple.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9924

Keep in mind when you lower it you also need an adjustable panhard bar, I went Steeda for this but there are a lot of good ones out there.

The ride is not too harsh, it is just tighter than stock...like BJ said, if you want it softer just dial it out that way...it is adjustable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How does the FR3 work in a vert? The added vert weight seems compensated for by the Steeda springs, but I do not see a 'vert' setup by the others.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I've got the full kit. I can't compare to stock because I only drove it 6 miles before turning it back over for the install. I like it, though. My brother, who has owned plenty of high performance cars, compared the ride to a BMW saying it felt tight and seemed to track well. It seemed a bit stiff until I did a track day(s) event. The performance and confidence on the track transferred to the street. I wouldn't have one without the FRRP kit now. The folks at Shelby all recommended the FRRP kit over the Eibach, saying the Eibach was too stiff for the street. $.02
I can vouch for the Eibach being too stiff on poor road surfaces (lots of that here in Michigan). Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride in somebodys FRPP to make a valid comparison some day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also looking at the full FRPP handling package for my 09 GT500. I already have the power upgrade package (will do the 3.73 gears when the suspension is done). However, I want to ensure that the limited FRPP warranty honored by Ford is not voided by the addition of the other parts mentioned on this and other threads such as panhead bars, etc. And, I want to have my Ford dealer do the install.

So, do you really need to add the additional parts to the FRPP kit? And, if so, why doesn't the kit already contain them since it is advertised as a complete handling package? I want the FRPP kit, but am hesitant to add more parts if FRPP and Ford won’t warranty the package. Finally, does the stock FRPP handling package actually reduce wheel hop?

Any additional thoughts or comments?

Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am also looking at the full FRPP handling package for my 09 GT500. I already have the power upgrade package (will do the 3.73 gears when the suspension is done). However, I want to ensure that the limited FRPP warranty honored by Ford is not voided by the addition of the other parts mentioned on this and other threads such as panhead bars, etc. And, I want to have my Ford dealer do the install.

So, do you really need to add the additional parts to the FRPP kit? And, if so, why doesn't the kit already contain them since it is advertised as a complete handling package? I want the FRPP kit, but am hesitant to add more parts if FRPP and Ford won’t warranty the package. Finally, does the stock FRPP handling package actually reduce wheel hop?

Any additional thoughts or comments?

Thanks.
The adj panhard bar is not mandatory....in other words it will work without it but the wheel spacing will not be centered in the body and it will not look right. I cannot see how this would void any warranty but talk to the dealer doing the work.

Huge difference with wheel hop....last year I did the UCA and LCAs and it made an improvement....after the FRPP suspension my car hooks way better with close to 200 more RWHP than I had last year (pulley, CAI, headers/exhaust and tune last year). Really can't say enough about the FRPP kit...just have to pay more attention driving in parking lots, entering driveways etc so you do not rub the splitter on the ground.

You should also plan on installing an adjustable UCA and not a fixed one so you can adjust the pinion angle when you lower it...they cost close to the same money and putting on a non-adjustable is just wasted money...once you move the HP much over stock you want to go with a one piece driveshaft and need the adjustable UCA or you will pick up a vibration at about 100 mph and up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts