Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing my BMR front sway bar and end links. And I have questions on how to properly adjust it.
The instructions say to adjust the end link to the same as the stock. First how do you do this? By eyeballing it? It appears to be about 7 threads showing on top and bottom? So I got nervous that I couldn’t get it exactly so I put the stock back on.
After installing it didn’t feel any tension? Is there suppose to be? I see on YouTube that you set one to stock then put the car back with weight and adjust the other side just until it feels tension. Any help is appreciated.
IMG_2648.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Theoretically, the bar should not biased once the car is level and the tires properly inflated. Now you can take it whole different levels by adding weight to the driver seat ect., but I tend to set mine without all the possible scenarios. What I would do is put the car on ramps, where the suspension is loaded and loosed the adjuster nuts on both ends and adjust the length to where the stud fits into the bar without forcing it, or putting the stud at an angle. In other words, I'd do something similar to what you're seeing on youtube.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theoretically, the bar should not biased once the car is level and the tires properly inflated. Now you can take it whole different levels by adding weight to the driver seat ect., but I tend to set mine without all the possible scenarios. What I would do is put the car on ramps, where the suspension is loaded and loosed the adjuster nuts on both ends and adjust the length to where the stud fits into the bar without forcing it, or putting the stud at an angle. In other words, I'd do something similar to what you're seeing on youtube.
thank you this helps! Just need a drive on lift now. What hole did you start with? Also did you just get the arms close to length then adjust once you load the suspension?
Another picture
IMG_2647.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
I had the arms as close to even as I could. I'm using the middle hole. My front spring rates are fairly heavy.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Not a great picture and I took it a few years go (I think when I upgraded to 15" Baers), but Shelby offered adjustable sway bar end links with the Shelby logo on them, I thought they were cool looking so I bought a pair. I installed them at the stock/oem link length, what is the purpose of adjustable end links? I have never played with them......

R

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a great picture and I took it a few years go (I think when I upgraded to 15" Baers), but Shelby offered adjustable sway bar end links with the Shelby logo on them, I thought they were cool looking so I bought a pair. I installed them at the stock/oem link length, what is the purpose of adjustable end links? I have never played with them......

R
The purpose is if the car is lowered you can adjust them for the new height plus they are stronger than OEM.

This is the best video I found o adj them even though it is not a mustang. Maybe someone has a better video they can post on adjusting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reg. End Links: In the old Man Cave days (before adjustable), you had to purchase end links that were manufactured at set increments; such as a 5inch, 5 1/2 inch, etc. -The goal was to always have the curved end of the sway bar set to horizontal level with the ground once the suspension was loaded with the full weight of the car. Now with an adjustable end link a person can set that level down to my-nute height increments. does that help with the 'Basic' idea for you? It's like having an adjustable Panhard bar.

For those who aren't aware; just replacing a factory end link with a non rubber bushing piece will make a noticeable difference in cornering. Most factory end links start to fail by the 50k mile point or less. On a heavy car those factory pieces can start running sloppy within 30k miles. So if someone wants to just tighten up their cornering prowess just a little bit more, an end link change can make a measurable difference without having to change out the whole bar (as some cars have their sway bar buried and it's difficult to just swap it out with a different unit. Nitro-Nicky

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Then there is also another geometry issue with a lowered car.............tie rod ends. When the car is lowered the steering rack is also lowered which causes rod ends to be at an angle to the spindle attachment. I guess that is where the bump steer tie rod ends come into play, so that the steering rack is pushing/pulling straight toward the spindle and not upward?

I have those adj. ends on my car also, the ones from Shelby and I have then adjusted so that the rack to spindle angle is as straight as they will allow. I guess I need to work on properly adjusting my sway bar links to get their geometry right for my lowered car.

R

·
Registered
483 Posts
You want the angle of the tie rods to be parallel to the lower control arms. That way as the suspension articulates it doesn't create steering angle changes. That is why these are called bump-steer kits. As you hit bumps and the vehicle goes up or down it can change the angle of the wheels from a toe standpoint.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts