Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not new to changing pads, but new to Brembos/pads. I’m putting in new pads and rotors (Centric rotors and their Ceramic pads), and they have a stainless shim and a thin stick on one. Safe to assume these stainless ones are only meant to be used with the original Brembo pads?

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,433 Posts
The shims are usually used to prevent brake squeal. On my past cars, the shims came with the brake pads. If the replacement pads don't have them, and the original shims are not damaged or deformed, I'd be inclined to re-use them. Re-reading your post, I'm a little confused. The pads and shims pictured look pretty beat up and used. Is that a picture of the OEM pads or the replacement pads? Your narrative seems to indicate that the new replacement pads had the shims included..right?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, it was a bit confusing how I worded it. Yes, the pic is the old pad pics showing the SS shims. New pads have a thicker metal shim already glued on. (Typical to what I’m used to seeing much like on the 94-04 Cobra PBR’s and most anything else I’ve done.)

But this is an odd one to me that the factory Brembo branded pads have a sticker type of shim already in addition to these SS shims. With that said I saved them because they do have the holes for the pins. I didn’t use them and took it out to test and bed them. I didn’t have squeaks just now or before. Just changing pads as I hate the dust and the rotors looked pretty bad.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,433 Posts
Sorry, it was a bit confusing how I worded it. Yes, the pic is the old pad pics showing the SS shims. New pads have a thicker metal shim already glued on. (Typical to what I’m used to seeing much like on the 94-04 Cobra PBR’s and most anything else I’ve done.)

But this is an odd one to me that the factory Brembo branded pads have a sticker type of shim already in addition to these SS shims. With that said I saved them because they do have the holes for the pins. I didn’t use them and took it out to test and bed them. I didn’t have squeaks just now or before. Just changing pads as I hate the dust and the rotors looked pretty bad.
Okay, that makes sense. The new pads are good to go with the anti-squeal shims already present.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to close the loop on this, took another cruise out with it yesterday and no issues. Still an odd shim set up with the Brembos compared to anything I've see. The Centric Pads I used were these and hope to update with how they are for dust:

IMG_8316.JPG

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wrapping this up regarding dust. Very little after a 300+ mile round trip to and from OC, MD for the cruise weekend.

Have the rear caliper adapters that allow the 13-14 rear rotors to be installed. Also using Centric rotors and pads...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts