Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
GT500 2020
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in March I traded in my hellcat challenger for a 2020 GT500. Was wondering if anyone else has done the same, and what are your thoughts about it now? Do you sometimes wish you still had the challenger? Any regrets with making the trade?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,717 Posts
Back in March I traded in my hellcat challenger for a 2020 GT500. Was wondering if anyone else has done the same, and what are your thoughts about it now? Do you sometimes wish you still had the challenger? Any regrets with making the trade?
I was just reading a post elsewhere that a guy said his new GT500 kicks his Hellcat’s butt in every way. I have no experience with the Hellcat... it does look like an awesome machine, but the new Shelby does it all and does it all with brutal grace!

·
Registered
2021 Race Red Shelby GT500
146 Posts
Ya I mean HC's are fun and they do what they do well but it's no GT500. The GT500 is as much a track star as it is at home on the drag strip or ripping up back roads or going to the mall. It really is a jack of all trades but does them all well which is amazing honestly. HC while a cool car and fun isn't the same type of car.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT 500 Iconic Silver w/ Blck Strips
171 Posts
I have had a 2016 Challenger Hellcat and a 2018 Corvette Z06. Both new prior to having the GT500. Dont miss the Corvette at all and only miss the Supercharger “whine” on the hellcat. Other than that i think the GT500 is best all around. My 10 year old agrees since he hated the hellcat and didnt get to ride as much in the corvette since no back seat.

I may be wrong but i dont think you are going to regret you decision.

·
Registered
GT500 2020
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had a 2016 Challenger Hellcat and a 2018 Corvette Z06. Both new prior to having the GT500. Dont miss the Corvette at all and only miss the Supercharger “whine” on the hellcat. Other than that i think the GT500 is best all around. My 10 year old agrees since he hated the hellcat and didnt get to ride as much in the corvette since no back seat.

I may be wrong but i dont think you are going to regret you decision. View attachment 216227
View attachment 216228 View attachment 216229
Why did you hate the corvette? Seems like a pretty good ride?

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT 500 Iconic Silver w/ Blck Strips
171 Posts
I was OK. Just low and rough ride. I did like it better then the hellcat. But we never really drove much since almost always 3 of us. Had for almost 3 years and had 3300 miles on it when i traded it in. Most miles was taking son to school and picking him up

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
185 Posts
I too had a Z06, I liked it however, I like the feedback the GT500 provides and IMO the GT500 looks better as well. My wife has a Trackhawk, absolutely love it and I am a bit jealous of the supercharger whine, I wish Ford allowed whine like they did with the prior GT500’s, I enjoyed the whine and exhaust note on my prior 2010 GT500.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,717 Posts
I too had a Z06, I liked it however, I like the feedback the GT500 provides and IMO the GT500 looks better as well. My wife has a Trackhawk, absolutely love it and I am a bit jealous of the supercharger whine, I wish Ford allowed whine like they did with the prior GT500’s, I enjoyed the whine and exhaust note on my prior 2010 GT500.
A pulley/intake/tune will make it sing much more, but it’s a quiet TVS. It will never scream like my 2011 Whipple.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
921 Posts
A pulley/intake/tune will make it sing much more, but it’s a quiet TVS. It will never scream like my 2011 Whipple.
I rewatched one of the supercharger videos the other day and it indicated there was a sound barrier in the top of the SC + I wonder what removing it would do?

Personally I don’t mind only hearing it a little bit but I get it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,717 Posts
I rewatched one of the supercharger videos the other day and it indicated there was a sound barrier in the top of the SC + I wonder what removing it would do?

Personally I don’t mind only hearing it a little bit but I get it.
I don’t mind the lack of whine either. That glorious exhaust keeps me entertained! 🤟

·
Registered
GT500 2020
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mustangs always scream signature performance exhaust in my book. Hellcats have the signature blower whine. I definitely miss the whine from the Hellcat but the exhaust note from the 500 blows it away!
Ya I agree with you. I love the sound of stangs, even when I had a HC you always knew the sound of a mustang around. TO be honest the hellcat whine got a little annoying sometimes on long drives.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mustang has Always had the best sounding exhaust straight from the factory imo. Always been that way sInce I was a kid. I was always a Camaro/ corvette guy growing up but always agreed mustang exhaust sounded better than anything else. Still does. 👍

·
Registered
2021 Anti-Matter Metallic Blue GT500
33 Posts
I’ve owned the Redeye and Super Stock. Absolutely no regrets switching to the GT500. It’s faster than the Redeye, not quite the super stock, but overall it’s a far more capable car. Don’t even get me started on looks, this thing turns heads. The challenger is an antiquated/archaic look lmao. Would trade for it again.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
386 Posts
I’ve owned the Redeye and Super Stock. Absolutely no regrets switching to the GT500. It’s faster than the Redeye, not quite the super stock, but overall it’s a far more capable car. Don’t even get me started on looks, this thing turns heads. The challenger is an antiquated/archaic look lmao. Would trade for it again.
Man, that 309 in the Redeye makes it a tough call when using my Seat of the Pants-o-meter. That thing would slam me into the seat when flooring it at 60+. The 500 is definitely more refined. I love the widebody Charger look better than the Challenger. If Dodge puts the 309 rear in the redeye Charger, lookout!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man, that 309 in the Redeye makes it a tough call when using my Seat of the Pants-o-meter. That thing would slam me into the seat when flooring it at 60+. The 500 is definitely more refined. I love the widebody Charger look better than the Challenger. If Dodge puts the 309 rear in the redeye Charger, lookout!
Yeah, I was always curious as to why they haven’t with the 3.09. Straight line racing is fun, but it gets old kind of quick. I wanted something different. I’ve always loved the way Shelby’s looked.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's funny you say that about the looks. I get stopped all the time when I'm out with the car. I've had people at traffic light trying to get my attention to ask me about the car. I get random thumbs up from other drivers. When I'm parked somewhere same thing attracts crazy amounts of attention. People seem to love the car. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's funny you say that about the looks. I get stopped all the time when I'm out with the car. I've had people at traffic light trying to get my attention to ask me about the car. I get random thumbs up from other drivers. When I'm parked somewhere same thing attracts crazy amounts of attention. People seem to love the car. lol
It’s just so aggressive looking. I absolutely fell in love the moment I saw it.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
185 Posts
While I do miss the whine, I agree that the exhaust more than makes up for it, especially the small backfires! I am lucky enough that if I do what to hear some whine, I just take out my wife’s ride!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts