Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, when I went to check out at the local dealer, the paper says 8 quarts of oil. I told her that wasn't right, it should be 7 (6.5 quart requirement).

I go out and talk to the shop foreman and he presents me this:
20201014_195605.jpg
20201014_195611.jpg

I told him that can't be right, so I go get my manual and show him this:
20201014_195634.jpg

He then pulled up my service history, and from what we can tell, sometimes in 2018 or 2019, the requirement changed, because they have history of 7 quart charges and now 2 8 quart charges (my last service used 8 and I just didn't pay attention).

I find this extremely odd that Ford changed the specification and I had not seen anything here or SVTP.

Guys chaging their own oil, may want to keep an eye out on levels.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,733 Posts
The oil pan didn't grow. Is the oil filter bigger? What does the dipstick say?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,830 Posts
I have always put 6.5 quarts in my 2011, which looks perfect on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
617 Posts
I have always put 6.5 quarts in my 2011, which looks perfect on the dipstick.
Me too with my '09. In fact I'm going to change my oil in the next week or so and put 6.5 quarts in it.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
617 Posts
Maybe Ford caught on to the potato chip bag idea. More air less product per quart. 😁
Ha! Ha! Maybe so. Buy 8 and get 1 empty one absolutely free.

Reactions: ButWhatDoIKnow

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,621 Posts
This was discussed years ago on TeamShelby.
Have had more than 1 oil change documented @ the dealership showing 7.4 qts. on the 2011. Of course all that paperwork is with the new owner..

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was discussed years ago on TeamShelby.
Have had more than 1 oil change documented @ the dealership showing 7.4 qts. on the 2011. Of course all that paperwork is with the new owner..
Do you care to elaborate any? Got a link? What was the consensus?

The oil pan didn't grow. Is the oil filter bigger? What does the dipstick say?
Dipstick shows a bit high. However, my last change I got the same 7.4 quarts and everything was fine this summer. I dont get it.
20201015_070730.jpg

Reactions: Norton

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
I'm thinking a misprint on the dealership's spec sheet. I agree with Norton. The oil pan didn't change, and the oil filter has remained the same. Your manual remains the same, as always. I'd stick with the manual specifications. Unless Ford is secretly reducing the amount of oil in their Motorcraft quart containers, I can't think of any other reason to add and additional quart! Puzzling.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,705 Posts
I'm thinking a misprint on the dealership's spec sheet. I agree with Norton. The oil pan didn't change, and the oil filter has remained the same. Your manual remains the same, as always. I'd stick with the manual specifications. Unless Ford is secretly reducing the amount of oil in their Motorcraft quart containers, I can't think of any other reason to add and additional quart! Puzzling.
I agree with Mike and Norton, Nick. You should be almost 1 qt high on your dipstick, and I would think asking your Service Manager or foreman why your oil registers high on your dipstick would give them reason to pause. Maybe your dealership doesn’t see a lot of GT500’s, but I’m a little surprised they didn’t balk at the change.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've emailed the picture of the dipstick to the service manager, whom I have a good relationship with, and asked him to look into it. Explained I'm not trying to be a pain, but just want to be sure it's right and I'm not going to harm the car.

Like I said, I got the same amount this spring and the car was fine all year. I just find it all real odd.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,690 Posts
Not to mention, Alldata is not Ford Motor Company. Data is only as good as those proof reading. I'd stick with the Ford recommendation. I usually fill up to somewhere in the crosshatch on the dip stick and call it good. I don't get too hung up on quantities. While the 11-12 got aluminum blocks, the oil pan didn't change from prior models. I don't think they manufactured this engine for six years and woke up one day and said, we were a quart shy. And if it did happen, I think FMC would issue a TSB.

Overfill = BAD!
Overfill + Boost = REAL BAD!

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
I went to the owner manual and service manual and come away with this.

• If the oil level is between the lower and upper holes, the oil level is acceptable. DO NOT ADD OIL.

So technically, it may not be overfilled. I can't see the top level or the hole in that pic very well. I just know oil windage is not a good thing. Motor Trend's Engine Masters had an episode on windage that was pretty interesting. If you don't have access to MT, check youtube. Some of them are on there.

(on edit: episode 32 of engine masters)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not to thread jack but since we're on the topic of oil, where is the best place to get the full syntheic 5W50 oil? Most places seem to just carry the blend

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Not to thread jack but since we're on the topic of oil, where is the best place to get the full syntheic 5W50 oil? Most places seem to just carry the blend
I've been using Driven FR-50.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Long story short, when I went to check out at the local dealer, the paper says 8 quarts of oil. I told her that wasn't right, it should be 7 (6.5 quart requirement).

I go out and talk to the shop foreman and he presents me this:
View attachment 206848 View attachment 206849

I told him that can't be right, so I go get my manual and show him this:
View attachment 206850

He then pulled up my service history, and from what we can tell, sometimes in 2018 or 2019, the requirement changed, because they have history of 7 quart charges and now 2 8 quart charges (my last service used 8 and I just didn't pay attention).

I find this extremely odd that Ford changed the specification and I had not seen anything here or SVTP.

Guys chaging their own oil, may want to keep an eye out on levels.
That paperwork came out over 7 years ago so why didn't they tell you and charge you for 8 quarts way back then? I'm sure you've had them change your oil a few times since then, but only the last 2 have the updated quantity? Let me ask you. Did you get a new recalibrated dipstick to go with that 7.4 quart oil change? I would ask your dealer the same question. If not then stick with the 6.5 quarts that your Manuel states and tell your dealer to do the same at the next oil change and also tell them that you're not paying for the extra quart that you don't need.

Us gear heads always double and even triple check the work we do on our cahs and that includes checking the dipstick reading to insure that we have the correct amount of oil in our engine after we complete an oil change. Always check your oil level on a cold engine or at least after it's been sitting for awhile.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
I just changed my oil before the hurricane hit and while I have a 2012, I am running a 2013 oil pan with the original dip stick. I only have 8 quarts in it so far because, storm prep took precedence over finishing up the car and getting it off the ramps. I'm going to do a before and after adding a 1/2 quart more to see how much movement measures on the stick. I may add the other 1/2 quart depending on where the oil level is. I generally shoot for the middle of the cross hatch area.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,621 Posts
Same topic running on the SVTP site, general manager @ a Ford dealership stated 7.4 is correct, not sure what his info source is..

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Same topic running on the SVTP site, general manager @ a Ford dealership stated 7.4 is correct, not sure what his info source is..
So are you going to start adding an additional quart to your 2014? Serious question. I figured if this applied to the 07-12, why not 13-14. While the oil tube is the same, the dip stick is a different part number. Curious! I'm intrigued by my experiment and will order a a new dipstick on my next Ford parts order. My rationale is that the oil level should be the same on the 5.4 and 5.8. Ford Performance mentioned nothing about, nor provided, a different dip stick with it's 8.5 quart aluminum oil pan.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,733 Posts
So are you going to start adding an additional quart to your 2014? Serious question. I figured if this applied to the 07-12, why not 13-14. While the oil tube is the same, the dip stick is a different part number. Curious! I'm intrigued by my experiment and will order a a new dipstick on my next Ford parts order. My rationale is that the oil level should be the same on the 5.4 and 5.8. Ford Performance mentioned nothing about, nor provided, a different dip stick with it's 8.5 quart aluminum oil pan.
All '13/'14 specimens require 8.5qts at change and, IIRC, 9.5qts on initial fill of SVTTP-equipped versions. I have yet to see anything changing that but, even if I do, I'm unlikely to fix what isn't broken...

Capture.JPG

1 - 20 of 29 Posts