Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 GT500, mostly stock, DD, with 84k miles.
I do have a very steep driveway with a tight, >90 turn at the top. I always spin a tire getting up it - no way to avoid it.
No whining, no howling, no noises - just leaking in the garage.

Finally got it to Ford and they want nearly $700 to fix it. I'm having a hard time getting a real explanation about it. I called the service manager for more, but no reply yet. All the advisor would say is that they have to take it all down and put it back together. Sounds like BS to me. Gave me no other repair options. I expected a simple rear cover seal.

Any thoughts about why this could (legitimately) be so much?

I am at my wits end with Ford Service. Running out of places to try.
Thanks

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,365 Posts
I do have a very steep driveway with a tight, >90 turn at the top. I always spin a tire getting up it - no way to avoid it.

Finally got it to Ford and they want nearly $700 to fix it. I'm having a hard time getting a real explanation about it. I called the service manager for more, but no reply yet. All the advisor would say is that they have to take it all down and put it back together. Sounds like BS to me. Gave me no other repair options. I expected a simple rear cover seal.

Thanks
I personally wouldn’t take something like this to the dealer. They are always the most expensive option. I only go to the dealer when I HAVE to. If you don’t want to (or can’t) repair this yourself, I’d take it to a general repair shop and watch them do the job to ensure they don’t screw anything up.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,385 Posts

Thanks

Leaking from where on the rear? Driveshaft end of rear cover end? Wheels? At the Ford dealer it will cost you about 500 labor for what you said above, total disassembly and re asembly. As Tim said above, going to a non dealer shop will cut your cost for a rear end rebuild, that looks to be what they quoted you without the gears.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,330 Posts
Changing the pinion seal the correct way is a bit involved, but with that sort of labor charge, you could replace the ring and pinion, excluding parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, folks.

leak is only from the rear cover that I have seen.

Advisor told me today there is an inner seal that has to be replaced - not just the rear cover (?). asked if the driveshaft side was leaking and he said no. he said they do not have to take the gears out. just seal replacements. this guy is not really much of a car guy.

I am going to have to investigate more when I get there tomorrow when its done.

I don't really know any shops on my side of town that I could take a GT500 to. I also took it in to finally have the passenger air bag recall done.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Thanks for the replies, folks.

leak is only from the rear cover that I have seen.
Buy a 'LubeLocker' gasket for $20 bucks, some new fluid and Ford friction modifier, and you'll have it done in less than two hours ( and that's with a coffee and donut break)!! No special tools needed. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to close this out in case anyone else has this issue.

turned out it was pinion seal on rear end. back cover was discolored but ok. The quote added rear end service too - full drain and replace. That was the 700.

I skipped the service since they had to drain and refill it to get the seal done. Service mgr gave me some discount and I was out of there for $400. Seems more in line for pinion seal replace.

Thanks to all for the support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts