Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to doing mods on cars. I just bought a M-5230-5GT exhaust (borla/frpp) for the GT500.

I managed to remove the original exhaust without much effort. The driver side exhaust installed fine and looks good and pretty centered. My problem is the passenger side exhaust. It's off center and close to touching the diffuser (maybe .5" away). Try as I might, I could not adjust it to be anything close to centered.

Is this something I did wrong or is the exhaust faulty? Should I send it back or just have a shop fix it for me?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jason

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Well I to started my install in my garage and one side which I don't remember was kicking my ass going on... so I said a few choice words... put the factory back on and took it to my local exhaust shop. I drove the car up on the lift where you can stand under it and work (so much better than on your back) and he had the old off and the new on in like 30 minutes or maybe even less. One side was not centered so he took his torch heated up the hanger a little than pushed it to the center until I gave the thumbs up... he held it there for about a minute let go...and it has been there ever since. Total cost I think about 30 bucks...was it worth it... YES.

My 2 cents unless you have a lift and torch... take it somewhere BUT make sure where to take it you let them know your standing back there with the car... even if it is ourside there garage door for insurance reasons DON'T turn it loose and stay up front reading Car & Driver wondering what is going on.. plus with you there watching it also assures a better install. I took pictures while mine was going on. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried to do it on some ramps on my back. My experience level on automotive work is less than impressive but damn I've learned a lot reading the forums! I've already ripped the doors apart and installed the moleskin and now this! Next, I'd like to install a intake, but I need to delay the next upgrade for a few months for spousal reasons... hehe

I've got a really good shop down the street and the owner loves the GT500 so I would not be surprised at all if he had his exhaust guy do the adjustments for free provided I give him a test ride. Either way, I will be sure to be directly involved in any work that is done. I had a coil go bad at 300mi and I wouldn't even let the local SVT dealer get into the repair unless I could watch the entire process.

Thanks for the input!

Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
Moleskin?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moleskin?
The 05 and up stangs seem to have a bad problem with scratching tint and even window glass. It's not just Ford but even Acura's and other higher end imports that are having window/tint problems. This felt install seems to do a great job at preventing damage:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55905

You can buy it at http://www.automoleskin.com/. The install was really easy, and well worth the piece of mind knowing that my windows and tint are safe from gouging!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Jason

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same problem, driver side went on in about 10 minutes and the passenger side took an hour and a half. Had to use a torch to bend the hanger. I got it centered and sticking out the same as the driver side but the Ford Racing stamp on the tip is slightly rolled to the right. Not that noticable though unless you stare at it and compare to the driver side. You know, when I looked at them and compared them to the original I noticed that the inside bracket on the driver side was mounted on the inside of the muffler but on the passenger side it was on the outside. The original passenger side had the hanger on the inside. Maybe this is the issue that makes it not align propperly. I looked at the instruction though and they showed the hanger mounted where it was on the product. Has anyone given feedback to Ford Racing that the passenger side didn't fit? I didn't, thinking that the hangers got bent up during shipping, the box was pretty crushed when I received it.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I installed mine myself.The drivers side took about 20 minutes and the passenger side about 10 minutes.No alignment problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I called Ford Racing who told me that it should be a perfect fit but to call Borla. I called Borla and talked with a really helpful tech.

I explained about the posts I have read regarding misalignments and people fixing it by twisting the exhaust pipe from the mid section, or heating the hangers. After verifying with me that I did not clamp the exhaust down until it was hung, He suggested that I not twist the upstream pipe or bend the hangers. Instead, he ordered a replacement ford racing part that has to be fabricated but should be ready in a few weeks. I'm hoping that the new part will fit perfectly, but something tells me there may be more to this misfit than Ford Racing or Borla is aware of. I guess I will know for sure when the new part comes in.

All in all, I must say that both Ford Racing and Borla's support seems very good. I may go out mark the exhaust position as it sits and then try the mid car twist trick. That might at least get me by until the replacement part comes in.

Whatcha think?

Jason

·
Registered
21 Posts
How does it sound compared to the factory mufflers?
Any photos to share?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
938 Posts
I love the sound of them, I think alittle more throatier but not obnoxious. I polished my exhaust.

DSC01471.JPG

DSC01529.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Looks good.I think I need a nudge too.I need to finish my mods.
You are not the only one 07, the boxes are accumulating dust. As I have always said Priorities and right now the Shelby is last on the list.:(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks great, thanks for the pics.
It is on the top of my short mod list now.
Man, this is fun stuff.

Where is the best place to purchase FMS stuff now?

Tom

·
Registered
938 Posts
07SHELBY HERES YOUR NUDGE. BROWN TROUT I HAD PURCHASED MY EXHAUST FROM BLUE OVAL INDUSTRIES AND OTHER SHELBY RELATED PARTS, THEY WERE VERY PROMPT AND HAVE GOOD PRICES. HERE IS A LINK TO LOOK AT.
http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry for all the questions, but here are more:

1. Lot's of you are using the FRPP exhaust M5230-5GT made by Borla. On all the product catalogs, Borla, FRPP, ect I can see this listed for a Mustang GT, but not for Shelby GT500. I can understand that it will fit, but why is it not officially listed for the GT500? I can only find a Bassani listed for the GT500.

2. Someone mentioned that they like Flowmaster for other Mustangs, but not for the GT500. Why is that? What is different about the sound, or is it just personal preference for the GT500 to be different than other Mustangs? From my experience other than GT500, the Flowmaster has a cackle during deceleration. Is this the same on GT500?

3. Anyone installed Dynomat or similar product to change the drone issue? How well did it work?

Thanks again,
Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tom,

I noticed the same thing regarding PN M5230-5GT. I'm not sure it makes any difference, but Mustang's Unlimited list M5230SGT 01 as the part number for the 2007-2008 GT500's. I can't post the link in this reply because I don't have enough post yet.

Later,
Cal

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have had both the M5230-5GTand the M5230-SGT in my shop. The major difference that I can see, is that the SGT has 4 diffusers installed. I would assume that those diffusers are enough to keep it 49 state legal on the GT500.
The 5GT exhaust is louder on the GT500
and they are less expensive.

I prefer the SGT myself, just my 2 pennies worth

·
Registered
32 Posts
I installed my 5GTs a while back and had some issues on the passenger side. I simply tweaked the support bars untils the tip was centered. I do not think you need a torch on these, just some leverage. T

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've put @ 12 exhausts on my cars over the last 2 yrs. and about half needed a torch to dial in the hangers....no big deal. I would torch it before I would wait for a part to be fabbed and shipped.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts