Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 Iconic Silver
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the outdoor car cover from Ford for the GT500? Unfortunately my motorcycles are in the garage and the car will be outside for extended periods and want a quality cover. I typically use Covercraft but if the Ford one is good it looks great for a cover.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP & 2017 GT350
67 Posts
I have one and its really nice. Make sure you get the base one or CFTP one as they are different.

The major difference between the indoor one and outdoor one is the material and thickness. The outdoor one is very much waterproof but is heavier so be careful when putting it on and taking it off. It has a nice tight fit to allow water to run off it.

I think I paid about 350 for it.

Randy

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 Iconic Silver
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one and its really nice. Make sure you get the base one or CFTP one as they are different.

The major difference between the indoor one and outdoor one is the material and thickness. The outdoor one is very much waterproof but is heavier so be careful when putting it on and taking it off. It has a nice tight fit to allow water to run off it.

I think I paid about 350 for it.

Randy
Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to order it in the morning!

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
54 Posts
I have the base GT500 and the gurney flap has been installed. The dealer ordered an indoor cover for me with the large wing option. It fits well and does have a little extra room in the back. I was not able to find where or for what vehicles the small wing option is for. If you do order, you might want to double check to see which option (small or large wing) is best for you.

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
605 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the outdoor car cover from Ford for the GT500? Unfortunately my motorcycles are in the garage and the car will be outside for extended periods and want a quality cover. I typically use Covercraft but if the Ford one is good it looks great for a cover.

Be careful which one you order. There is an older one that’s gray with black lettering and a newer one that‘s black with white lettering I believe. I got the old one, part number vlr3z-19a412-a. The old one doesn’t have the soft microfiber lining. I’m afraid to leave it on my car in high winds because it looks like it would scratch the hell out of it. The newer versions have a different last letter.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,031 Posts
Does anyone know if the outdoor one has the grommets for locking it?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,976 Posts
I have the base GT500 and the gurney flap has been installed. The dealer ordered an indoor cover for me with the large wing option. It fits well and does have a little extra room in the back. I was not able to find where or for what vehicles the small wing option is for. If you do order, you might want to double check to see which option (small or large wing) is best for you.
Small wing = any base model.
Large wing = CFTP.

Reactions: IMOMF

·
Registered
2020 GT500 L2717
40 Posts

I’ve used the new small wing outdoor version on a base model with wickers and gurney installed most days including outdoor winter storage since Sept 2020. Its unlined except at the grommet, waterproof and very light. It’s still water proof, but you can see the UV fade compared to the inside. I just recently did paint correction and ceramic. There were some minor swirls in the clearcoat, but overall in pretty good shape. It’s a very tight fit (almost felt too tight when new).
On windy days, the wind often billows up through the hood heat extractor and balloons the cover quite a bit and has led to front end exposure. Luckily the mirrors do a good job helping to hold the cover on when not tied at the grommets.
Vehicle cover Tire Plant Hood Wheel

Vehicle cover Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Grey Bumper Finger Wood

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
124 Posts
I actually have 2 covers on my GT500, a indoor which has good microfiber under it and the Base model GT500 Cover, even with the Track pack wing they both fit. The micro one will get damaged by UV rays the GT500 is outdoor so it protects the indoor from UV rays I have Sun issues only first few hours in the morning as Its parked under my car port.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
605 Posts
I actually have 2 covers on my GT500, a indoor which has good microfiber under it and the Base model GT500 Cover, even with the Track pack wing they both fit. The micro one will get damaged by UV rays the GT500 is outdoor so it protects the indoor from UV rays I have Sun issues only first few hours in the morning as Its parked under my car port.
So do you mean you put the outdoor cover over the indoor? I was thinking of trying that myself. Since both covers breath, I don’t think it will cause any moisture issues, and indoor cover is super soft and doesn’t scratch at all. I’m just afraid to use my outdoor by itself.

The GT500 only sits outside when I’m doing projects in the garage anyway.

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
124 Posts
So do you mean you put the outdoor cover over the indoor? I was thinking of trying that myself. Since both covers breath, I don’t think it will cause any moisture issues, and indoor cover is super soft and doesn’t scratch at all. I’m just afraid to use my outdoor by itself.

The GT500 only sits outside when I’m doing projects in the garage anyway.
Yes both at the same time, Indoor first the the GT500 outdoor. Even my Detailing and PPF Guy said its a good idea. Mine won't get rained on But just protection from Sun and Wind ETC.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
54 Posts
Just a thought: Since the GT's have a brake dust issue, I cover my wheels before I put on the indoor cover. This keeps the dust off of the inside cover and prevents the cover from getting dirty. I had some old mylar and just cut a big "D" and I place them next to the wheels - it works...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts