Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2012 GT500. The car only has 2100 original miles and is in "as new" condition. It is also completely stock. I have been considering purchasing a 3 year Ford Premium Extended Warranty due to the complex systems on these cars which equates to expensive repairs. The cost of the Extended Policy is almost $2,000 dollars. I have read reviews that states these cars are surprisingly reliable and trouble free. The car will be driven as a collector car, about 1,000 miles per year. I am now thinking it may be smarter to not purchase the Extended Policy and bank the $2K for possible repairs. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Thanks Chet

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
If you're keeping it stock and only putting 1,000 miles a year, I would recommend you pass on an extended warranty. I never buy them regardless. My philosophy is they wouldn't sell them if they didn't make money on them. Granted someone will benefit, but most won't.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Cost is too high. I had an extended warranty on my 2010 when I purchased it in 2014. I had 20k miles on it and I used it several times in the four year window of its activation. Rear end gears, blend door actuator, radiator, altenator, New steering wheel for defective switches, and a fuel pump. Car was stored for awhile and I think some of the problems were due to that. Anyway my cost was $1200 for 75k and four years. Dealer cost for that plan is about 400-600 dollars. Negotiate a cheaper price, around 1k, oh and a heater core forgot one!

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Given your driving parameters, I agree with Goose and Catmomkey. Two grand will go a long way to conduct any minor repairs. As said, the newer GT500's are pretty bullet proof.
Agree with all above, and I'll add, make sure you DRIVE the car a little bit every month to keep all the seals, bearings, pumps, etc. in good working order. It's a good rule of thumb for all machinery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When we bought ours (it had 11,182 on the odometer) last July, my wife was convinced we needed to purchase the extended five-year warranty plan. It was an extra bit of money, to be sure. But she and I both thought it made good sense since we can afford it. We have NEVER gotten an extended warranty on any of our cars. BUT... We don't know how our GT500 had been treated under the previous owner. The Carfax shows the service history, as does the FordPass membership. Nothing shows up out of the ordinary, but the extended warranty supposedly covers any issues with the supercharger, the dual disk clutch, etc. Anyway, we did it, and with it comes some level of comfort knowing much will be covered if something goes wrong (hopefully!).

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I agree that extended warranties CAN be quite expensive IF you take the initial price from a dealer. It is a HIGH PROFIT item for the dealer.
If you are firm and keep saying NO, they will usually come down to around $1,000 to $1500 for a 10 year/ 100K mile extended warranty. Still a lot of money, but if you intend to keep a car and DRIVE it until the wheels fall off, IMHO, it is not too bad. If you can afford it and it gives you piece of mind, why NOT.
However, if you'd rather save that money for MODS....the Warranty wouldn't help anyway!
If the car is a LEMON, it should show up while it is under the Factory Warranty.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
I purchased an '11 GT500 with 2,140 miles on it this past summer and did not buy an extended warranty from Ford (or an other provider). My reasoning was that I wouldn't be driving it enough to justify the expense. I have made a habit of buying extended warranties for pre-owned daily drivers and have been glad I did (particularly with an Audi I owned). I also bought them for my current daily and summah cah (Fusion and '13 GT 'vert...both of which were new) and they've paid for themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
A lot of good advice here. If you end up deciding a warranty is what you want, you can call Ford Extended Warranty services directly and negotiate your price. On the occasion that I have bought an extended warranty, I haven't bought it from the dealership because (like stated already) it's a money maker for them. I also don't want to give a dealership the opportunity to slow roll the purchase process in an attempt to wear us down. I have no experience with third party extended warranties...except they robocall my cell phone periodically! :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
We had never purchased an extended warranty but, for reasons I can't remember, we did purchase one for our Raptor back in 2013. Guessing because it's a truck and assumed at some point would be used as such. Last winter I noticed a couple of drips under the rear diff. When it went in for it's annual service in the spring I mentioned it to our service coordinator not really expecting anything more than for them to take a look. They replaced the cover, gasket and fluid at no charge. Said it was covered under warranty. Because of this recent incident my wife thought we should go ahead and get one for my son's '18 Focus ST as well. Good piece of mind knowing he can take it to any Ford dealer if he has any problems when he leaves for college this fall. Guess what I'm saying is do it if you think it's right for YOU.

·
Super Moderator
5,024 Posts
Lots of good advice and perspective being offered. In the end, multiple factors to consider in making the decision.

FWIW, I have never purchased a warranty for any vehicle and thus far (knock on wood) I’ve come out ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I have no experience with third party extended warranties...except they robocall my cell phone periodically! :)
After working at a dealership for many years, I've learned to NEVER buy an extended warranty from a third party warranty company .... there is so much runaround and not-covered items that they usually end up being worthless (and a lot of them go out of business). I was told that if you ever wanted an extended warranty, to always insist on one FROM THE MANUFACTURER. Just my 2 cents of experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts