Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI,

Ok, being a former dealer I have never been to fond of these plans because I always figured if something was going to go wrong it would up front. However, that said The price of the TSB if not caught before the 5yr 60,000 mile powertrain warranty expiration scares me. Using Ronnies (Rlhays) tip I searched through at least 10 different sites on the internet and found a tremendous difference in price. Some were more than double. Anyway if anyone is interested the cheapest place with the most options on how many miles you drive was myfordwarranty.com (Saccucci Honda, Lincoln, Mercury). You can get the full premium warranty if you do it before the 3yr/36,000 mile original warranty runs out. I'm good now till 2014 on everything for $655. I hope I won't need it and wish the stupid thing would go ahead and break...but now at least piece of mind.:zlurking:
Oh, I forgot to add the powertrain only option was about $100 less and it is transferable for a $75 fee.

·
Registered
658 Posts
FYI,

Ok, being a former dealer I have never been to fond of these plans because I always figured if something was going to go wrong it would up front. However, that said The price of the TSB if not caught before the 5yr 60,000 mile powertrain warranty expiration scares me.
If you bought the plan for fear of clutch failure (ie) TSB, you better read the "not covered" section of the ESP Policy, this is how it reads:

"These Are the Only Components
Not Covered by ESP PremiumCARE
Mechanical
Service adjustments and cleaning, battery and
cables, belts and hoses, brakes (front hub,
drums, shoes, linings, disc rotors, pads), coolant,
exhaust system (includes catalytic converter),
filters, fluids, lubricants, lights (bulbs,
sealed beam, lenses), manual clutch disc, shock
absorbers, spark plugs and wires, squeaks and
rattles, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing, wheel
alignment, wiper blades, wheel studs, and compressed
natural gas/liquid propane fuel system
components."

Also note: if a non covered part fails and causes the failure of a covered part, there is no warranty.
A local Phoenix Ford dealer tried to tell a friend of mine that the "non covered clutch disk" caused the damage to the flywheel and the trans, hence, no coverage.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you bought the plan for fear of clutch failure (ie) TSB, you better read the "not covered" section of the ESP Policy, this is how it reads:

Mechanical
components."

Also note: if a non covered part fails and causes the failure of a covered part, there is no warranty.
A local Phoenix Ford dealer tried to tell a friend of mine that the "non covered clutch disk" caused the damage to the flywheel and the trans, hence, no coverage.
I would think with a known TSB on this issue that a Ford dealer would have a hard time explaining it that way....that dealer was obviously a prick. I'm not advocating for the warranty, just trying to save anybody that wants it some legwork....doesn't matter to me what you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering a GT500 as I write, have a deal on the table to buy one...question is, the ESP is REALLY high through the dealer. I saw this post and was curious if you have any complaints thus far about myfordwarranty.com. Please let me know if you think as is still in order. Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts

Mechanical
components."

The issue the TSB addresses is the flywheel and not the disk; no extended warranty (and often even base warranty) will cover friction material wear items such as clutch disks, brake linings and brake pads. Agree that the dealer was being a prick and it should be elevated to the RSM for that territory....it is beyond me why a dealer would screw around a customer for something they will get paid for from the OEM.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am considering a GT500 as I write, have a deal on the table to buy one...question is, the ESP is REALLY high through the dealer. I saw this post and was curious if you have any complaints thus far about myfordwarranty.com. Please let me know if you think as is still in order. Thanks!
I have no complaints since I have not had to use it. I don't know if it's worth it or not, it was just the cheapest I could find. Kinda like life/flood/fire insurance....you don't need it till your screwed. I don't advocate anything just wanted to help with those that wanted it. I hope I don't need it, it's just a little something in the back pocket to biatch-slap the dealer with should he try to deny something.:zlurking:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would think with a known TSB on this issue that a Ford dealer would have a hard time explaining it that way....that dealer was obviously a prick. I'm not advocating for the warranty, just trying to save anybody that wants it some legwork....doesn't matter to me what you do.
Fightrpilot,would be interested as to what dealership you use in Tulsa? I've been using Joe Cooper in Midwest City where I bought the car - they've been good overall, but not too enthusiastic about going ahead with TSB. The things I've noticed are not severe, but I think its a matter of time before the TSB will have to be done.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fightrpilot,would be interested as to what dealership you use in Tulsa? I've been using Joe Cooper in Midwest City where I bought the car - they've been good overall, but not too enthusiastic about going ahead with TSB. The things I've noticed are not severe, but I think its a matter of time before the TSB will have to be done.
pm sent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I spoke with Ford ESP and then to Ford Warranty Dept. Warranty had me on hold forever and came back and said "no part in the TSB or the labor will be honored under the ESP plan." I would have bought it had it covered my ticking time bomb. :boohoo:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with Ford ESP and then to Ford Warranty Dept. Warranty had me on hold forever and came back and said "no part in the TSB or the labor will be honored under the ESP plan." I would have bought it had it covered my ticking time bomb. :boohoo:
I did'nt buy it to cover the TSB, I bought it to cover a transmission failure which it say's on the warranty that all transmission parts are covered. I'll pay for a new clutch if they get picky.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your OP says you were concerned about the TSB and you also infered you bought service coverage because of the TSB. Sorry if my info struck a nerve.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your OP says you were concerned about the TSB and you also infered you bought service coverage because of the TSB. Sorry if my info struck a nerve.
You are correct, I did say that. It did'nt strike a nerve. I'm just hoping for a little insurance for the tranny. They may or may not cover it, depends on the dealer.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
My buddy just took his 07 in for the TSB and when he gets his back I'm taking mine in for it. I'd rather get it done now and not worry about it later. Both of our cars had the clutch chatter and a little snap going into 3rd gear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've always had good luck with Ford's Premium ESP plans. I had 2 motors replaced in my '89 Mustang GT from oil pump failures, 3 AC units in my '96 Expedition, 2 rear DVD players and a rear LSD in my '03 Expedition. I'm hoping my new Shelby won't need anything, but it is covered for 7 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The TSB is now a non issue for me. I traded my Shelby for a new car yesterday. When I pulled into the dealers lot, the Shelby showed 2500.5 miles and shifted like butter. No TSB issues which is why no one would perform the service for me. As I said in an earlier post, I viewed the car as a ticking time bomb. I would have owned it for three years this August and the warranty would have been over and I doubt I would show any symptoms by then as I didn't drive it much. According to Ford, no part of the TSB would be covered by an ESP plan. Well I don't have any worries now and it feels good. I hope all you folks have the best of luck with your cars. Mine was great.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The TSB is now a non issue for me. I traded my Shelby for a new car yesterday. When I pulled into the dealers lot, the Shelby showed 2500.5 miles and shifted like butter. No TSB issues which is why no one would perform the service for me. As I said in an earlier post, I viewed the car as a ticking time bomb. I would have owned it for three years this August and the warranty would have been over and I doubt I would show any symptoms by then as I didn't drive it much. According to Ford, no part of the TSB would be covered by an ESP plan. Well I don't have any worries now and it feels good. I hope all you folks have the best of luck with your cars. Mine was great.
so what new car did you get??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts