Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see we have a new member,welcome cyrusapollo.He is a salesman for a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership.Let's direct all dealership questions to him!Ok I will go 1st,what are you charging for the 3 Shelby's that you have already sold?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello cyrusapollo & welcome to the show. I have a few questions that an inside guy like you should know. What's up with getting an invioce on a Shelby & not having a vin #? My car received a vin #, then I got an invoice. It was on temp delay for about 2 weeks then it was sheduled for build. Even more confusing is that my Ford dealer swears he has an ETA of 6/12. Sounds impossible as "Job 1" is 6/5. Do you have one of these babies locked up for yourself? Looks like the Shelby party is about to get started.

·
Registered
106 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
I see we have a new member,welcome cyrusapollo.He is a salesman for a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership.Let's direct all dealership questions to him!Ok I will go 1st,what are you charging for the 3 Shelby's that you have already sold?
Hello, 07 Shelby, and thanks for the welcome. I will be glad to answer any questions to the best of my ability, feel free to ask anything.
As to what we charged, we didn't technically charge anything. We are a small store in a rural farm community. We have a very loyal, yet very frugal customer base, for which we are fortunate. When news of the Shelby first broke we were all excited, as we are passionate about Mustangs. One problem we were immediately faced with was price strucure. We knew that this was going to be an extremely hot item, with limited availability and that due to the size of our store we would only be gauranteed one. As we got closer and closer to the GT500 being reality, we began to get local interest, but no one around here was willing to pay a premium for the car, which is fine and in a sense understandable. But the other side of that coin is manifold. The biggest consideration was this- why should we sell the car for X amount when big city stores, not 200 miles from us, are getting in excess of $20,000 over MSRP? It is a philosophical and ethical delima that we wrestled with, but the bottom line is that it was also a question of survival and business sense. Bare in mind that some of us are still recovering from last year's Employee Pricing fiasco. It drove many of us to the brink of closing the doors. Yes we sold a great number of cars, but at almost no profit, and the market has been in turmoil for the domestics ever since. Sorry, that's a whole different discussion, but it is relevant. Anyhow, here's how we handled it: enter EBAY. That way, it was a level playing field and anyone iterested could name their own price. Not a single one of our local customers was upset and several of them bid, but did not win. That way we didnt offend our local customer base, and we also opened ourselves to a global market. In the end, we sold them all for at least $17, 350 over MSRP. In fact, one of them was sold to someone outside of the ebay community, who called the store and made an offer that we accepted. So in the end, we didn't have to charge anything, we just accepted offers; the cars priced themselves. To put that in perspective,one of my customers now has about 62,000$ wrapped up in a factory order for his very own 2007 Shelby GT500 coupe with every option, in the color scheme that he wanted, that will be supercharged, 500 horsepower and will hit 60 mph in about 4.5 seconds. Did we do the right thing? Hard to say,there will be people who agree and those that disagree, but one thing I know is that for the fortunate few who will own these cars, money will be the farthest thing from his or her mind when they drop the clutch and nail it. At that point, I'm sure it will be worth evey penny!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That answers my question.Thanks for sharing that with us.Wow that'a lot of typing!How many did you get?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cyrus. I have a question for you. As far as contracts go, I know when you order a shelby that that does guarantee the car is yours. I have asked many about this and recieved answers but it would be nice to hear it from a dealer.
I know special contracts can be written up if you ask for them. I would like one that guarantees that THAT car is mine, even if someone offers more or puts more down than me, that I wont be pushed back to a car further down the line if someone offers more, and that the price is locked for me.
How often do you do this and what exactly should I have in this contract?
Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
cyrusapollo said:
Hello, 07 Shelby, and thanks for the welcome. I will be glad to answer any questions to the best of my ability, feel free to ask anything.
As to what we charged, we didn't technically charge anything. We are a small store in a rural farm community. We have a very loyal, yet very frugal customer base, for which we are fortunate. When news of the Shelby first broke we were all excited, as we are passionate about Mustangs. One problem we were immediately faced with was price strucure. We knew that this was going to be an extremely hot item, with limited availability and that due to the size of our store we would only be gauranteed one. As we got closer and closer to the GT500 being reality, we began to get local interest, but no one around here was willing to pay a premium for the car, which is fine and in a sense understandable. But the other side of that coin is manifold. The biggest consideration was this- why should we sell the car for X amount when big city stores, not 200 miles from us, are getting in excess of $20,000 over MSRP? It is a philosophical and ethical delima that we wrestled with, but the bottom line is that it was also a question of survival and business sense. Bare in mind that some of us are still recovering from last year's Employee Pricing fiasco. It drove many of us to the brink of closing the doors. Yes we sold a great number of cars, but at almost no profit, and the market has been in turmoil for the domestics ever since. Sorry, that's a whole different discussion, but it is relevant. Anyhow, here's how we handled it: enter EBAY. That way, it was a level playing field and anyone iterested could name their own price. Not a single one of our local customers was upset and several of them bid, but did not win. That way we didnt offend our local customer base, and we also opened ourselves to a global market. In the end, we sold them all for at least $17, 350 over MSRP. In fact, one of them was sold to someone outside of the ebay community, who called the store and made an offer that we accepted. So in the end, we didn't have to charge anything, we just accepted offers; the cars priced themselves. To put that in perspective,one of my customers now has about 62,000$ wrapped up in a factory order for his very own 2007 Shelby GT500 coupe with every option, in the color scheme that he wanted, that will be supercharged, 500 horsepower and will hit 60 mph in about 4.5 seconds. Did we do the right thing? Hard to say,there will be people who agree and those that disagree, but one thing I know is that for the fortunate few who will own these cars, money will be the farthest thing from his or her mind when they drop the clutch and nail it. At that point, I'm sure it will be worth evey penny!
Hi cyrusappolo and welcome to the site...I have a some questions regarding your Shelby pricing and allocations...1. Understanding that you have a loyal yet very frugal customer base, I'm curious as to the pricing that you offered your loyal customers before you chose to enter the auction arena? And 2. How did you go from an allocation of one Shelby (small store in a rural farm community) to three cars? 3. If someone came in to your small store and offered to pay you a significant amont over the price that your auctions and private sale netted, would you accept the offer ? Thank you...:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
shoyoright said:
Hello cyrusapollo & welcome to the show. I have a few questions that an inside guy like you should know. What's up with getting an invioce on a Shelby & not having a vin #? My first car received a vin #, then I got an invoice. It was on temp delay for about 2 weeks then it was sheduled for build. Even more confusing is that my Ford dealer swears he has an ETA of 6/12. Sounds impossible as "Job 1" is 6/5. I received an invoice on my next earliest car but do not have a vin. I assume I will get a vin # soon on this car. Do you have one of these babies locked up for yourself? Looks like the Shelby party is about to get started.
Hello, shoyoright, and kudos to you (not one,but multiple Shelbys!) It is not likely that you have an invoice without a VIN. Unless someone is using one of the Halo cars (built before production to draw interest to an upcoming model.)it is more likely what you have is a build sheet and not an actual invoice, although a build sheet will have much of the same information. Again on the ones that you have VIN's for, you should have a build sheet which looks like an invoice but is technically not. Invoices are not available until the car is built and on its way to the dealer. Remember it is "an invoice" just like anything else, a paper representation of the transaction between manufacturer and distributor. So until the car is complete and about to be billed to the purchasing dealer, there won't be an actual invoice. If you already have an actual invoice, get ready, your car has left the plant and is on it's way to the dealer. 6/12 may not be unrealistic depending on where the dealer ranks in Ford's pecking order. As long as there are no more material holds, they will be leaving the plants this week!!
And no, I didnt get to keep one for myself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
stangsrule said:
Cyrus. I have a question for you. As far as contracts go, I know when you order a shelby that that does guarantee the car is yours. I have asked many about this and recieved answers but it would be nice to hear it from a dealer.
I know special contracts can be written up if you ask for them. I would like one that guarantees that THAT car is mine, even if someone offers more or puts more down than me, that I wont be pushed back to a car further down the line if someone offers more, and that the price is locked for me.
How often do you do this and what exactly should I have in this contract?
Thanks
Hello, stangsrule. First I need to know how far along you are in your deal before I can answer intelligently and give you ammo you can use. Where are you in the order process?

·
Registered
106 Posts
ShelbyWise said:
Hi cyrusappolo and welcome to the site...I have a some questions regarding your Shelby pricing and allocations...1. Understanding that you have a loyal yet very frugal customer base, I'm curious as to the pricing that you offered your loyal customers before you chose to enter the auction arena? And 2. How did you go from an allocation of one Shelby (small store in a rural farm community) to three cars? 3. If someone came in to your small store and offered to pay you a significant amont over the price that your auctions and private sale netted, would you accept the offer ? Thank you...:)
Hello Shelbywise and congratulations on your order!
1.) Initially when we mentioned the Shelby to our customers, we would start by saying that our guess was that they would go for somewhere between 5 and 10k over, remember too that until last week, no one knew what official pricing was, but anyone who has been in the business awhile could see this firestorm coming a mile away. After about the 3rd farmer told us he wouldnt pay a dime over sticker, we stopped mentioning or offering it because at that point we were only guaranteed one and we did incur a certification fee from Ford.
2.) We bought the others from other stores. I was on the phone for about 4 hours a day for a month trying to buy them. I was amazed at how many small stores are not ordering them because they dont want the hassle. In essence, if a store sells one for sticker, they would make more money on an F-350. So to some stores it's not worth aggrivating their customer base trying to make a decent profit and they just don't want to be part of the rat race.
Hang on, customer coming in... I'll be back
continuing-
3.) If someone came into the store and offered me a significant amount more than the other sales, I would first say that the chances of me being able to acquire another, especially one that has not yet been spec'ed out are extremely low. No amount of money would influence me to bump or switch or in anyway alter the commitments I have already made on the first three, like I am hearing about some dealers. Again, at this stage, finding one "unbuilt" would be very difficult, and finding one that a dealer would give up would also be very difficult. And if I was able to find one, I am sure it would be costly to procure. But- I would give it my very best effort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well we have a verbal agreement. He acutally has the car on order. (May change color though). I drove a good ways and met him and he looked at my trade in.
He told me today he would do a special contract if I asked so what I need to know is how can i put in in writing so that I KNOW that I will get that car.. even if someone else offers more or puts more money down on one.
As of right now I am his only person but I am sure that will change and I want to make sure I dont get bumped for any reason such as someone paying more.
We are trying to get everything as fast as possible to secure the deal but I want to make sure all my ends are covered.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stangbanger7 said:
Well we have a verbal agreement. He acutally has the car on order. (May change color though). I drove a good ways and met him and he looked at my trade in.
He told me today he would do a special contract if I asked so what I need to know is how can i put in in writing so that I KNOW that I will get that car.. even if someone else offers more or puts more money down on one.
As of right now I am his only person but I am sure that will change and I want to make sure I dont get bumped for any reason such as someone paying more.
We are trying to get everything as fast as possible to secure the deal but I want to make sure all my ends are covered.

I can not talk for everyone else but I am not a lawyer.I have a purchase order that states $ 5,000 over MSRP + the cost of options.Read the paper work over and make sure a fleet manager,owner or somebody of importance signs that paper work.The owner of my dealership even called me to ease my nerves, that were shot!

·
Registered
20 Posts
So you just had them put the price in the notes section of the purchase order or what? Also did you make them write that you were guaranteed that allocation? (the first)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was incorrect about receiving invoice on one of my cars last week. What I received was the DORA w/pricing. I have received this on 2 of my cars so far. Does this mean they are getting closer to getting vin # s & build date?

·
Registered
106 Posts
shoyoright said:
I was incorrect about receiving invoice on one of my cars last week. What I received was the DORA w/pricing. I have received this on 2 of my cars so far. Does this mean they are getting closer to getting vin # s & build date?
Not necessarily, shoyoright. refer to my answer on page 1 of this thread. You have a DORA because the order bank is open and the price list is available. That doesnt mean that Ford has accepted it, or that the dealer actually submitted it, for that matter. Until he hits the "F4" button (the button the dealer hits to submit the order) all you have IS a dora.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cyrus.. Have you read the questions I asked you? Im really nervous about my deal and want to make sure that it will be binding. Like I said my dealer said he could add the parts containing the price and where I am on the list in the notes section of the buyers order (left hand window on order). Would this be binding to him or would I need a whole different contract?
As I said before the buyers order does state that... no other agreement of any kind, verbal understanding or promise whasoever will be recognized.
This is written below the trade in info. it has a certificate number blank on it and an expiraration place on it next to it. (in case you have one handy to read).

I would REALLY appreciate some help. I know not all dealers are going back on their words but I do want to be covered just in case. After all I REALLY dont want to lose the money I am putting down, or lose the car because of a higher payer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
stangsrule said:
Cyrus.. Have you read the questions I asked you? Im really nervous about my deal and want to make sure that it will be binding. Like I said my dealer said he could add the parts containing the price and where I am on the list in the notes section of the buyers order (left hand window on order). Would this be binding to him or would I need a whole different contract?
As I said before the buyers order does state that... no other agreement of any kind, verbal understanding or promise whasoever will be recognized.
This is written below the trade in info. it has a certificate number blank on it and an expiraration place on it next to it. (in case you have one handy to read).

I would REALLY appreciate some help. I know not all dealers are going back on their words but I do want to be covered just in case. After all I REALLY dont want to lose the money I am putting down, or lose the car because of a higher payer.
Thanks.
Hello, stangsrule. I tried to respond yesterday but maybe you didnt see it. I also just sent you a message. I'd be glad to help in any way that I can, but I'm not sure I have a clear picture as to how far along in the buying process you are. Help me understand where exactly you are in the process so that I can give you the proper ammo to use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello cyrusapollo, thanks to you I now understand about the DORA. When my orders were first submitted I received the Vehicle Order Confirmation sheet showing dealer, order # options etc. Does this psperwork mean I am getting closer to getting vins & build dates or is it just par for the course. Thanks in advance PC

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Cyrusapollo,

If the VOPC says that the dealer must call the regional rep to input an override so that the car can be serialized...what does that mean? Why is an override required? They are saying the status is material hold...and that the reason is what I stated above. I have a coupe ordered without the shaker 1000...so that's not the issue. I would like to get my SN.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 20 of 37 Posts