Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500 Coupe 5.4 ltr 4v DOHC 4 cam SC EFI OBDII CD/CD-R/DVD-R
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those DIY’ers with burnt/charred BEC wire terminals on your 12 awg wires that lead to the high speed cooling fan relay as well as the low speed cooling fan relay via the fuse box under the hood… (Green/Violet wire & Green/Yellow wire).

If you’d like to remove and replace the charred terminals with new ones, I believe I’ve located the correct terminals on Amazon. I ordered a set myself and will arrive friday, when they do arrive I’ll confirm weather or not the terminals end up being the correct direct replacements for the original terminals.
Link for terminals on Amazon
12-10 Ga. Tangless Sealed Female Metri-Pack 280 Series Terminals #12110853 - (Pack of 50) 12-10 Ga. Tangless Sealed Female Metri-Pack 280 Series Terminals #12110853 - (Pack of 50) - - Amazon.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news fellas, the Amazon female terminals are an exact match to the factory 12 awg wire terminals that connect below the low & high speed cooling fan relays inside the fuse box.

As for the thinner gauge wire terminals, I don’t know the wire gauge thickness for them yet. However I do have a set of 18-16 ga terminals that have identical dimensions at the female end when compared to the 12 awg set… I’ll compare the 18-16 ga terminals against the thinner factory wire terminals and will update you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For reference, here are both the 12awg & the 18-16 awg side by side with (forgive me for not having a miniature banana for scale) a Capri-sun and brake cleaner straw to give some of you an idea of the scale.
Automotive lighting Bumper Tool Electronic device Cable
Engineering Auto part Plastic Composite material Cable

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my 2 burnt terminals replaced. My burnt terminals were the Low Speed Cooling Fan relay and the Climate Control Blower relay
Mass production Shelving Wood Winery Gas

Grille Office equipment Automotive exterior Rectangle Audio equipment

I apologize because I didn’t look into the possible size or tooling for the terminals with thinner wires. It was just too damn hot and I had so much sweat dripping into my freakin eyeballs to the point where I was getting worried that the sweat droplets would fall into BEC’s and short out every damn thing on the car once I reconnect the battery so I decided fugget about it.

Back to the topic, the surgery was a success. My low speed cooling fan is activating when it’s supposed too and also… maybe I’m over analyzing the sounds but the low speed fan sounds louder than it did prior to the terminal change (on the days the LS fan felt like working). I’m also noticing the RPM’s and Desired Idle Speed RPM are very close to being perfectly in-sync, I know it’s impossible for the values to be 100% in-sync but the margin would usually range from 760 - 830 when desired is 800, but now the margin isn’t as wide, desired was 800 and actual was 798 - 813. Idk though, could be a fluke, also it could have something todo with me rubbing down all the male pins on the under side of the fuse box with alcohol.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,429 Posts
Got my 2 burnt terminals replaced. My burnt terminals were the Low Speed Cooling Fan relay and the Climate Control Blower relay
View attachment 218594
View attachment 218595
I apologize because I didn’t look into the possible size or tooling for the terminals with thinner wires. It was just too damn hot and I had so much sweat dripping into my freakin eyeballs to the point where I was getting worried that the sweat droplets would fall into BEC’s and short out every damn thing on the car once I reconnect the battery so I decided fugget about it.

Back to the topic, the surgery was a success. My low speed cooling fan is activating when it’s supposed too and also… maybe I’m over analyzing the sounds but the low speed fan sounds louder than it did prior to the terminal change (on the days the LS fan felt like working). I’m also noticing the RPM’s and Desired Idle Speed RPM are very close to being perfectly in-sync, I know it’s impossible for the values to be 100% in-sync but the margin would usually range from 760 - 830 when desired is 800, but now the margin isn’t as wide, desired was 800 and actual was 798 - 813. Idk though, could be a fluke, also it could have something todo with me rubbing down all the male pins on the under side of the fuse box with alcohol.
Glad you got it solved! Thanks for sharing and helping out the next guy.

Reactions: Carlos J Cazares

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dumb question but is it just the terminal that’s getting nuked? As in the wire is thick enough gauge you can just recrimp a 12 awg terminal on it?

Or did you rewire back to the fan?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dumb question but is it just the terminal that’s getting nuked? As in the wire is thick enough gauge you can just recrimp a 12 awg terminal on it?

Or did you rewire back to the fan?
Good question, I cant answer that question with 100% certainty, all I can say is that Ive replaced only the terminal. The original 12awg wire is being used, only alteration is the addition of about 1 inch of wire for added slack due to the original wire having literally no slack to begin with. I should have considered replacing the entire wire but too late, project for another day i guess but so far replacing the terminal is working out in my particular case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.