Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 performance white
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the folks that live in central Florida(Ocala area preferable), how do like living there? weather, cost of living, crime...may have opportunity to move there for job, I know we like to go on vacation to the beach, but this isn't the beach, just need some first hand perspectives...thanks.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,555 Posts
69bossnine lives in that area and may be able to give you some insight. Florida has some serious issues with their water supply, increasing tides, and a number of environmental issues which are impacting the State and housing. I think much of it is the result of overbuilding and destroying the natural habitat and wetlands. Its no longer the Florida where I grew up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To the folks that live in central Florida(Ocala area preferable), how do like living there? weather, cost of living, crime...may have opportunity to move there for job, I know we like to go on vacation to the beach, but this isn't the beach, just need some first hand perspectives...thanks.
I just moved to Riverview (Southeast of Tampa) from the Miami area. Its about 90 mins south of Ocala. Coming from the Northeast I love living in Florida. Not sure exactly where your coming from but Ocala is DEFINITELY country. I did the half mile Event there and while that private airstrip is in a wealthy community I didnt see much else around on my visit.

-Pierce

Reactions: JSHACK

·
Registered
405 Posts

Ocala - farming center of Florida due to the convergence of the land & sea breezes, creating plentiful rainfall. Now also big time horse country. Lovely gentle rolling hills. A friend hosts a motorcycle ride, usually a mid November weekend, always a good time.

I'm further south and east. I wouldn't live anywhere else, I've been here 21 years coming from the Detroit metro area. But than again I don't mind hot weather.

YRMV

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,002 Posts
My mom lives in Ocala in a 55+ community and loves it. Ocala is horse country and beautiful. Since it is inland and pretty much central FL, it’s protected from any serious hurricane destruction. Also, with no winter and no state income tax plus the ability to do a short trip to the beach or tourist fun spots, it has a lot going for it.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
SW Florida ...... winters are great summers sizzle.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Some people have hit it already, you need to like HOT weather. It rarely gets cool, and when it does it's only for a few days. This year there were 22 days in February where the temp was higher than 80. Everything else about Florida is about the same as anywhere else with the exception of no state income tax. If you like outdoor sports, it's pretty much year round here. Great fishing and more than a few nice beaches. Theres also a lot of touristy areas like Disney, Universal Studios, Lego Land etc. They are all a couple hour drive from Ocala. And Ocala has some really pretty areas and also some high crime areas, just like anywhere else. The breaking point for me is the heat. Been here over 30 years and it seems like it's getting hotter each year with less relief from the sweltering heat and humidity. That is the real difference between Florida and many other states.
Good thing for me is I retire in 5 years and will be headed a few states north for some seasons.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, have visited pretty much all the state at some point, business and pleasure. Here in north Mississippi, summer is hot and humid, tired of winter, cold, we can have mild or really cold, varies greatly. The everyday living and crime issue was biggest concerns, read much about that, but appreciate the input.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,002 Posts
Doing something for FedEx in FL @JSHACK?

I have lived in Memphis/N. MS as well as FL. I’d chose FL hands-down. You’ll like it there.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I have lived in Memphis/N. MS as well as FL. I’d chose FL hands-down. You’ll like it there.
I with you, my wife definitely.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Missed your question-yes, for FedEX, was approached about relocating.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I'm in Lakeland, 1/2 way between Tampa and Orlando. I have lived here since 1981, the population has def. grown since that time.

R

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I'm in St Augustine and love it!

·
Registered
2019 GT350
589 Posts
Some people have hit it already, you need to like HOT weather. It rarely gets cool, and when it does it's only for a few days. This year there were 22 days in February where the temp was higher than 80. Everything else about Florida is about the same as anywhere else with the exception of no state income tax. If you like outdoor sports, it's pretty much year round here. Great fishing and more than a few nice beaches. Theres also a lot of touristy areas like Disney, Universal Studios, Lego Land etc. They are all a couple hour drive from Ocala. And Ocala has some really pretty areas and also some high crime areas, just like anywhere else. The breaking point for me is the heat. Been here over 30 years and it seems like it's getting hotter each year with less relief from the sweltering heat and humidity. That is the real difference between Florida and many other states.
Good thing for me is I retire in 5 years and will be headed a few states north for some seasons.
And this right here is why I will never live south of Virginia - it is just too freaking hot! When we go to Florida we go in February just to get some reasonable temperatures.

I start to get uncomfortable in anything over ~65 degrees. I like it when I can work outside without turning into a sweaty mess - 40-45 degrees is the best. Just need a light jacket to walk around and if you are working a t-shirt works fine.

·
Registered
524 Posts
For those of you who will never move to FL, thank you. Stay where you are. We don't need any more people here. It's too hot for you anyway.

For those of you looking to move here, please stay where you are. We don't need any more people here. It's not gonna be anything like where you're coming from and I don't want to hear how you did it in wherever.

For those of you who already live in Florida, please move. We don't need any more people here. You're taking up too much space on the roads.

This has been my public service announcement on behalf of the Great State of Florida.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts