Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just chiming in with a few thoughts...
I completely understand about doing our own maintenance and keeping the young inexperienced techs from jacking up our expensive cars. With that being said, I kinda look at it this way - while my expensive Shelby is under warranty, and if I take said car to the dealership for regular maintenance it is on record and there is PROOF, without question, that the car has been maintained. Therefore, Ford cannot come back at me IF there is a problem. It is one less excuse that they can use against me if I have an issue. Is it a risk? Yes, but again it's under warranty and if the dealership screws something up, it's their dime. Now, once the car is OUT OF WARRANTY, then all bets are off and I'M doing all of the maintenance myself, unless I don't have some special equipment for a particular process or procedure. In that case, I may be taking it to someone or a reputable shop that I trust.
Also, any maintenance associated with my VIN will show up if it's done at a dealership and is tied to the car if anyone looks up the history. This may be helpful if anyone wants to sell their car and the purchaser is into that kinda thing. Obviously, having oil receipts and keeping your own records will also help with at potential buyer but some really want the CARFAX! lol (I don't plan on selling my car but someone may want too.)
Just my two cents...🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
743 Posts
Yeah I used to change my oil in everything --- then I stopped, ease and cost were the factors mostly. On our highlander it was a mess and I couldn't do it much cheaper than the oil change places.

With the Shelby, now that I'm going to my preferred dealer, with a trusted serve center, I'll let them do it. But, I'm kicking around raceramps or quickjacks so I can do some inspections etc --- maybe I'll get back to oil changes again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah I used to change my oil in everything --- then I stopped, ease and cost were the factors mostly. On our highlander it was a mess and I couldn't do it much cheaper than the oil change places.

With the Shelby, now that I'm going to my preferred dealer, with a trusted serve center, I'll let them do it. But, I'm kicking around raceramps or quickjacks so I can do some inspections etc --- maybe I'll get back to oil changes again.
I like doing oil changes and maintenance on my vehicles, it's kinda like washing them, seems therapeutic to me. In the case of the Shelby I also like having the recorded maintenance records to show that it was indeed done. I am waiting for the factory warranty to end THEN I'll be doing some add-ons/bolt-ons etc. etc. I don't like wishing time away though so I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this beast in the meantime!

I am also looking into quickjacks, just haven't gotten around to those upgrades yet.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
273 Posts

"Preferred, trusted service center".......I dont have one of those. I flat out dont trust my local dealer. I dont trust them with my daily so I darn sure wont trust them with my Shelby. I have caught them more then once not doing a complete service.

I have the race ramps and its not really that bad to do.

Reactions: DKnight and Goose17

·
Registered
2020 GT500
351 Posts
Like many here, I’ve always changed the oil in all my vehicles and still do.

I don’t think just running the engine hard can break the oil down, but sitting for extended periods and not allowing water vapor (plus other combustion byproducts) to be burned off is an issue as well. I’m not sure if Ford has a time limit on oil change intervals, but Hellcats require oil changes at 5k miles or 6 months. Who knows, maybe it’s a small money grab attempt by Dodge….

·
Registered
2014 GT500 PP
556 Posts
Do you document everything and do you have any concerns with warranty since you are performing your own maintenance?

The reason I ask is that I prefer to do my own maintenance however, I also want to avoid any issues should I have a problem.
Of course, if I do end up taking it to a dealer, I will ask what they are putting in as far as levels and their experience. The only upside is that I will have the service on record should anything happen.

I would greatly appreciate anyone’s input on this.
I've done my own on my 14 since new. I do buy the oil and filter from my local dealer so I have a record of it showing it is Ford parts going in. I write on the receipt the actual date and mileage of when I do the change for my records and documentation. I get a decent discount so the cost is comparative to other sources. I figured this would help if I ever had a warranty claim.

Tom

·
Registered
2020 GT500
351 Posts
I've done my own on my 14 since new. I do buy the oil and filter from my local dealer so I have a record of it showing it is Ford parts going in. I write on the receipt the actual date and mileage of when I do the change for my records and documentation. I get a decent discount so the cost is comparative to other sources. I figured this would help if I ever had a warranty claim.

Tom
I’ve been tracking all of my maintenance through an Auto Care app on my iPhone for the last 10 years or so. Works well and is very convenient.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I’ve been tracking all of my maintenance through an Auto Care app on my iPhone for the last 10 years or so. Works well and is very convenient.
Which one do you use? I've wanted one that I could track the motorcycle maintenance (that I do all myself) for awhile but never found one that really caught my attention?

·
Registered
2020 GT500
351 Posts
Which one do you use? I've wanted one that I could track the motorcycle maintenance (that I do all myself) for awhile but never found one that really caught my attention?
I’ve used a few but settled on Auto Care 1. You can add custom maintenance/service categories and details with dates/mileage/etc.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I’ve used a few but settled on Auto Care 1. You can add custom maintenance/service categories and details with dates/mileage/etc.
Thanks -- I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Just performed 1st oil change on my 2021 CFTP at local Ford dealer watching closely his procedures making sure the proper torque is done on oil filter upon installment of the new one making sure he places the O rings properly etc.11 1/2 quarts of 5 w 50 synthetic and showed no metal shavings with 1250 miles.Had mechanic unbolt the underneath plastic tray that covers rear differential.It was like a sand box with numerous pebble fall out from pebbles shooting into that area thanks to those Cup2 tires.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Base RR
370 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,658 Posts
41 - 53 of 53 Posts