Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Trackpack11, these GT500's are built and designed and engineered to handle a LOT of hard racing and driving right from the factory. Aside from a few transmission issues that have been reported in this community, the GT500 is a beast and it will be hard to do any damage to the vehicle while pushing it's limits at a track much less cruising around on your local streets. You would really have to do something way out of the ordinary to hurt anything. I understand wanting to be cautious about breaking in the engine with care and that is a good solid plan to make sure you dont have any issues down the road when you really are putting the car through it's paces.
With all that being said, and to put some of it in perspective, when was the last time you bought a car and they send you a usb stick with videos on how to do burnouts and give tips when your car is at the drag strip? Enjoy the car my friend, it can handle it!! (Plus it's still under warranty!;):giggle:)
Thanks for that input:)

Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
I am doing mine at 2000 miles, it is good to let the break-in oil run for a bit on a new engine. Also, for any metal flakes, the oil filter will catch them and "should" allow the oil to cycle without any issues.

My only concern is taking it to a dealership to have them perform the oil change. The only reason I will take it to a dealership is one within my area has good reviews and if anything goes wrong, it will be difficult for Ford to decline any type of warranty.

However, as Tim stated, I will definitely speak to whoever is working on the car to make sure they are putting in the correct amount and will not leave until I have paperwork which states what oil, filter, seal, and amounts were used during the change. Lastly, I will check the level myself before leaving.

I've heard good things about Koons Sterling and Chantilly (I will take mine to Chantilly as it is much closer then Sterling).

Reactions: DKnight and Goose17

Registered
I am doing mine at 2000 miles, it is good to let the break-in oil run for a bit on a new engine. Also, for any metal flakes, the oil filter will catch them and "should" allow the oil to cycle without any issues.

My only concern is taking it to a dealership to have them perform the oil change. The only reason I will take it to a dealership is one within my area has good reviews and if anything goes wrong, it will be difficult for Ford to decline any type of warranty.

However, as Tim stated, I will definitely speak to whoever is working on the car to make sure they are putting in the correct amount and will not leave until I have paperwork which states what oil, filter, seal, and amounts were used during the change. Lastly, I will check the level myself before leaving.

I've heard good things about Koons Sterling and Chantilly (I will take mine to Chantilly as it is much closer then Sterling).
I feel a bit different about the first oil change. At 1000 miles, IMO, I feel the motor is broke-in. It may in fact be broke in by 500 miles. A lot of engine builders that I've watched over the years generally break engines in on a dyno doing very specific pulls and rpm ranges for different durations. They then change the oil, check the filter for debris and then check how the engine is developing horsepower. They are not delicate with new engines when breaking them in. A recent good example is when Tim's Track Attack video showed the cars they were driving at the school only had 180 or so miles on them! Ford would not put those students or drivers in cars that still needed to be "broke-in", at least not IMO. Now if Ford doesn't care about those engines and would be okay with replacing them, then that's a different story I suppose.
I feel getting either break-in oil or old oil out of there between 500-1000 miles, is a good thing, but that's just me. Why I say "old" oil is because my car was built in November of '20 and it sat till I bought it in March of this year. I now have 1000 miles and the original oil is now 6 months "old". I feel it's time to get it out of there and get fresh, clean oil in there.
Just my 2 cents. :)

Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
When I asked --- I was told there was no break-in oil change recommendation from Ford. So I changed mine at 3k, and had to argue about it - dealer wanted to wait till 5k.
Owners Manual says no extended WOT until after 100 and no track until after 1000.
I didn't notice the mileage on the Track Attack car, but they mentioned all they did was change the oil in them to 'get them ready'.

I imagine they get fluids changed after every class - and probably go through plenty of tires as well lol.

Registered
When I asked --- I was told there was no break-in oil change recommendation from Ford. So I changed mine at 3k, and had to argue about it - dealer wanted to wait till 5k.
Owners Manual says no extended WOT until after 100 and no track until after 1000.
I didn't notice the mileage on the Track Attack car, but they mentioned all they did was change the oil in them to 'get them ready'.

I imagine they get fluids changed after every class - and probably go through plenty of tires as well lol.
If you look up Tim's first Track Attack video, you can see the miles on his car @ 13:08 time frame is at 180.6 miles! That tells me the car is good-to-go right out of the gate, just change the fluids and GO! Now....would I do that in MY car with 180 miles on the clock is the question :unsure: 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 Probably not, but it could probably handle it just fine.

One more car in Tim's video is at the dragstrip with 108.2 miles on it (@16:15). The instructor is showing how to do launch control and burnouts!! Love it.

Registered
Update 4/20/21: Just got back from the dealership and had the first oil change done @1090 miles. Dealership did a decent job (even though they gave me the "what's this guy's deal changing the oil at 1K?" look) and allowed me to hang around by the hoist while the tech did his thing. I watched him pretty close and we talked a bit. He seemed like a nice kid, maybe in his late 20's. I saw him put the new o-ring seals on the new filter so I was feeling confident that he'd done this already so I asked him if they get many GT500's in for service and he said "lots, mostly in the spring and then again in the fall". He was digging the car and complimented on how cool it was. He said that there are only 2 techs that are allowed to even touch those expensive 500's in the dealership, he being one obviously.
The dealership also replaced my drivers side window seal and reinstalled my driver's outside door handle, which meant they had to pull the inner door trim panel on that side. I was very nervous about that but all is well and it all turned out fine. Since it started snowing here in Michigan, while I was driving out of there, I haven't been able to check the oil level but I'll do that after I'm done working from home today. Gotta get back at it...

Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
Update 4/20/21: Just got back from the dealership and had the first oil change done @1090 miles. Dealership did a decent job (even though they gave me the "what's this guy's deal changing the oil at 1K?" look) and allowed me to hang around by the hoist while the tech did his thing. I watched him pretty close and we talked a bit. He seemed like a nice kid, maybe in his late 20's. I saw him put the new o-ring seals on the new filter so I was feeling confident that he'd done this already so I asked him if they get many GT500's in for service and he said "lots, mostly in the spring and then again in the fall". He was digging the car and complimented on how cool it was. He said that there are only 2 techs that are allowed to even touch those expensive 500's in the dealership, he being one obviously.
The dealership also replaced my drivers side window seal and reinstalled my driver's outside door handle, which meant they had to pull the inner door trim panel on that side. I was very nervous about that but all is well and it all turned out fine. Since it started snowing here in Michigan, while I was driving out of there, I haven't been able to check the oil level but I'll do that after I'm done working from home today. Gotta get back at it...
I'm glad it worked out... the tech that forgot my fill cap was one of their 'specially qualified' ones too lol.

Registered
I'm glad it worked out... the tech that forgot my fill cap was one of their 'specially qualified' ones too lol.
I'm going to do a thorough inspection when I get a hot minute to make sure everything is all good.

I laughed out load when I read your post! I guess even "experts" make mistakes. I hope my tech wasn't sleeping on the job!

Registered

When I raced motorcycles I was sponsored by BG and they would perform oil analysis on my engine after each race weekend. While they gave me more oil than I knew what to do with, I actually did not have to change the oil for two race weekends and I typically ran race practice and 8 sprints (7 laps each) per weekend. Each and every time the oil was far from degraded and I ran the bike full-tilt 100% (I was top 20 in 6 classes in the US). My race mechanic about lost his mind however, even he could not argue with the numbers. Here's the best part, I ran semi-synthetic as my clutches would slip when I ran full synthetic and that oil still held up. I recall some races being in 90+ degree weather (VIR heats up so much in August it literally would melt our boots on the grid! ).

I asked them about car engine oil and they said the same thing, most engines do not run hard enough to break down the oil and more often than not, you can go far more than you might think. The sponsor himself would run the same oil in his truck for about 15K miles before the numbers showed degradation.

Of course, to each their own however, having seen the oil analysis over many years, I am comfortable running the break-in oil for about 2000 miles and changing around that mileage is a bit early however, I do want to flush out the system which is the only reason why I would even change it that early. That being said, I am also not beating my car, so here and there a few pulls but nothing "crazy" or by any means "hard driving." Also, I do not drive in any type of stop/go traffic so heat is not an issue either.

I would highly recommend anyone who has higher miles to have the oil analysis performed as the reports provide very detailed insight into the health of your engine.

Here is a great video which shows how a GT500 with 182,000 miles still makes amazing power!

GT500 with 182K Miles Dyno

Registered
When I raced motorcycles I was sponsored by BG and they would perform oil analysis on my engine after each race weekend. While they gave me more oil than I knew what to do with, I actually did not have to change the oil for two race weekends and I typically ran race practice and 8 sprints (7 laps each) per weekend. Each and every time the oil was far from degraded and I ran the bike full-tilt 100% (I was top 20 in 6 classes in the US). My race mechanic about lost his mind however, even he could not argue with the numbers. Here's the best part, I ran semi-synthetic as my clutches would slip when I ran full synthetic and that oil still held up. I recall some races being in 90+ degree weather (VIR heats up so much in August it literally would melt our boots on the grid! ).

I asked them about car engine oil and they said the same thing, most engines do not run hard enough to break down the oil and more often than not, you can go far more than you might think. The sponsor himself would run the same oil in his truck for about 15K miles before the numbers showed degradation.

Of course, to each their own however, having seen the oil analysis over many years, I am comfortable running the break-in oil for about 2000 miles and changing around that mileage is a bit early however, I do want to flush out the system which is the only reason why I would even change it that early. That being said, I am also not beating my car, so here and there a few pulls but nothing "crazy" or by any means "hard driving." Also, I do not drive in any type of stop/go traffic so heat is not an issue either.

I would highly recommend anyone who has higher miles to have the oil analysis performed as the reports provide very detailed insight into the health of your engine.

Here is a great video which shows how a GT500 with 182,000 miles still makes amazing power!

GT500 with 182K Miles Dyno
I can see how oil may be more durable than we give it credit for. I would imagine that full synthetic oil is even tougher.
With that being said, the owners manual says to change the oil BEFORE and AFTER track events/days. They apparently think oil breaks down. I even think that's kinda over the top myself.
I don't drive like a lunatic but I aint easy on my car either, I drive it hard at times and I like have fresh oil in there when I'm tearing around in it.
"Drive it like ya stole it!!"

Registered
I can see how oil may be more durable than we give it credit for. I would imagine that full synthetic oil is even tougher.
With that being said, the owners manual says to change the oil BEFORE and AFTER track events/days. They apparently think oil breaks down. I even think that's kinda over the top myself.
I don't drive like a lunatic but I aint easy on my car either, I drive it hard at times and I like have fresh oil in there when I'm tearing around in it.
"Drive it like ya stole it!!"
I would definitely follow changing out the oil in the GT500 after a trackday as these engines probably produce far more heat than my race bike used to. Also, the power to weight ratios on a motorcycle do not stress the engines as much as the power to weight ratio of a GT500 so, it would make sense that the oil and engine are subjected to far more wear.

The normal maintenance is something I will follow and on the lower end where it states between 5000 and 7000 miles however, I will send in my oil for analysis ever 30K miles as the reports can tell you if there are any underlying issues.

Also...good to hear you drive the Shelby as it is meant to be driven!

Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
Do these newer models have a "smart" oil sensing system for change interval?

Tom
Pretty sure they do Tom, but since I track my car, I will be changing my oil way before the counter tells me to.

Reactions: ShadowBLK500

Super Moderator
I would definitely follow changing out the oil in the GT500 after a trackday as these engines probably produce far more heat than my race bike used to. Also, the power to weight ratios on a motorcycle do not stress the engines as much as the power to weight ratio of a GT500 so, it would make sense that the oil and engine are subjected to far more wear.

The normal maintenance is something I will follow and on the lower end where it states between 5000 and 7000 miles however, I will send in my oil for analysis ever 30K miles as the reports can tell you if there are any underlying issues.

Also...good to hear you drive the Shelby as it is meant to be driven!
Ditto!

Premium Member
I think these are great comments. Wish someone (Tim!!) would create a Checklist for the non mechanics that we can use and take with us to insure dealership does everything on the oil change. My son has a Bullitt and the put not enough oil in his at dealership. I鈥檓 scared as hell to bring my 500 in for any service.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
I think these are great comments. Wish someone (Tim!!) would create a Checklist for the non mechanics that we can use and take with us to insure dealership does everything on the oil change. My son has a Bullitt and the put not enough oil in his at dealership. I鈥檓 scared as hell to bring my 500 in for any service.
If you must take it in, watch them like a HAWK! I鈥檓 doing my own oil changes. I have 2700 miles on the car and about to do my 2nd change.

Registered
2021 Race Red Shelby GT500
I had the oil changed at my dealer at approx 480 miles. Car now at roughly 1021 miles so far so good. If I tracked the car I would do fresh before the track day and after.

Registered
If you must take it in, watch them like a HAWK! I鈥檓 doing my own oil changes. I have 2700 miles on the car and about to do my 2nd change.
Do you document everything and do you have any concerns with warranty since you are performing your own maintenance?

The reason I ask is that I prefer to do my own maintenance however, I also want to avoid any issues should I have a problem.
Of course, if I do end up taking it to a dealer, I will ask what they are putting in as far as levels and their experience. The only upside is that I will have the service on record should anything happen.

I would greatly appreciate anyone鈥檚 input on this.

Registered
2021 Race Red Shelby GT500
Generally speaking doing your own oil changes is fine with any manufacturer. Keep the receipts from the oil which is a bit on an old school thing I guess can't hurt. Keep in mind if that engine seized or had a catastrophic failure they can tell if you've changed the oil when they pull apart the engine. They will know if you've taken care of the car or not.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
Do you document everything and do you have any concerns with warranty since you are performing your own maintenance?

The reason I ask is that I prefer to do my own maintenance however, I also want to avoid any issues should I have a problem.
Of course, if I do end up taking it to a dealer, I will ask what they are putting in as far as levels and their experience. The only upside is that I will have the service on record should anything happen.

I would greatly appreciate anyone鈥檚 input on this.
I鈥檓 not really documenting it. I鈥檓 changing the oil more than required by mileage. I do have email receipts from Rock Auto that I could show if needed, where I buy the supplies.

Reactions: fletchffletch
21 - 40 of 53 Posts