Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Track Pack 11.

Hello
I have 480 miles on my CFTP.Easy miles with intermittent gas pedal smacks.Only had it in TRACK mode with TRACK exhaust once.Im all about meticulous maintenance.Should I drop oil at 1k miles? And manual only calls out for dual track mode if your on track.Not recommended for street use.Have not performed a launch yet as well.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Track Pack 11.

Hello
I have 480 miles on my CFTP.Easy miles with intermittent gas pedal smacks.Only had it in TRACK mode with TRACK exhaust once.Im all about meticulous maintenance.Should I drop oil at 1k miles? And manual only calls out for dual track mode if your on track.Not recommended for street use.Have not performed a launch yet as well.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
I went ahead and combined your two threads and edited the title of the thread for a little more clarity.

@Goose17 will chime in -- he has CFTP and has tracked it several times. I believe Track mode loosens things up a bit but not in the sense that it is ok/advised for the street. Track exhaust I believe you can run in any mode (somebody double check me on that), so let the beast roar!

Reactions: DKnight

·
Premium Member
2013/2020 GT500
253 Posts
I would change the oil now. I just performed my first oil change at 500 miles and there was lots of metal flakes in the filter. My recommendation would be to get the breakin oil out of the system at 500 miles. I will be changing mine once more after 1000 miles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would change the oil now. I just performed my first oil change at 500 miles and there was lots of metal flakes in the filter. My recommendation would be to get the breakin oil out of the system at 500 miles. I will be changing mine once more after 1000 miles.
Thanks for that info.My CFTP will go in April 19th with 5-600 miles for oil drop.
I only showed off the track mode engaging exhaust for a 2 minute rip at 300 miles roughly.Im sure I did not hurt anything, however I get the exhaust mode freedom but wondering on track mode switching on the street.?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,585 Posts
Track Pack 11.

Hello
Thanks
The owner’s manual does not specify a shorter change interval for the first break-in oil change. I chose to do my change at 1k miles.

As for Track Mode... it’s fun as hell! It does stiffen up the suspension, which is already stiff in the CFTP. Because of this, I use Track Mode less in my CFTP than I did in my base model, but use it when it’s time to go full-tilt boogie! It doesn’t hurt anything. It does loosen up the yaw parameter though allowing you to hang the ass end out more aggressively.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,585 Posts
Have not performed a launch yet as well.
Use Drag Mode when it’s time to launch. It loosens the rear shocks to allow a squat/weight transfer and is the best way to dig out of the hole.

Reactions: ShadowBLK500

·
Registered
2020 GT500
342 Posts
Break in oil change @ 1k miles for me. I didn’t see anything in the filter or oil that looked odd. For settings, I use all sport and track exhaust.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
266 Posts
I intended to change my oil at 1k, but its hard to park it on the weekends :D
Changed the oil at 1,400

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
176 Posts
I went ahead and combined your two threads and edited the title of the thread for a little more clarity.

@Goose17 Track exhaust I believe you can run in any mode (somebody double check me on that), so let the beast roar!
You are 100% correct, you can choose the Track exhaust mode in any mode.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,585 Posts
Little more time to type my reply now (I was at work). With my base model, I lived in Track Mode unless cruising on the highway... track mode exhaust has drone... sport mode exhaust does not. The CFTP has a stiffer suspension setup. My regular driving mode is My Mode that I set up with Sport everything except the magneride struts... those are set to Normal. When I want to get jiggy, I still switch to Track Mode in my CFTP, but it makes for a stiff ride, which I want at times, but not all the time. So, in my CFTP, I’d say I am 80/20 for street driving (My Mode/Track Mode). On the track, I am 100% Track Mode! 🤟 🤟

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for that info.My CFTP will go in April 19th with 5-600 miles for oil drop.
I only showed off the track mode engaging exhaust for a 2 minute rip at 300 miles roughly.Im sure I did not hurt anything, however I get the exhaust mode freedom but wondering on track mode switching on the street.?
Trackpack11, these GT500's are built and designed and engineered to handle a LOT of hard racing and driving right from the factory. Aside from a few transmission issues that have been reported in this community, the GT500 is a beast and it will be hard to do any damage to the vehicle while pushing it's limits at a track much less cruising around on your local streets. You would really have to do something way out of the ordinary to hurt anything. I understand wanting to be cautious about breaking in the engine with care and that is a good solid plan to make sure you dont have any issues down the road when you really are putting the car through it's paces.
With all that being said, and to put some of it in perspective, when was the last time you bought a car and they send you a usb stick with videos on how to do burnouts and give tips when your car is at the drag strip? Enjoy the car my friend, it can handle it!! (Plus it's still under warranty!;):giggle:)

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
734 Posts
Trackpack11, these GT500's are built and designed and engineered to handle a LOT of hard racing and driving right from the factory. Aside from a few transmission issues that have been reported in this community, the GT500 is a beast and it will be hard to do any damage to the vehicle while pushing it's limits at a track much less cruising around on your local streets. You would really have to do something way out of the ordinary to hurt anything. I understand wanting to be cautious about breaking in the engine with care and that is a good solid plan to make sure you dont have any issues down the road when you really are putting the car through it's paces.
With all that being said, and to put some of it in perspective, when was the last time you bought a car and they send you a usb stick with videos on how to do burnouts and give tips when your car is at the drag strip? Enjoy the car my friend, it can handle it!! (Plus it's still under warranty!;):giggle:)

This
I'm very happy knowing that I have a car that is engineered to take more than I'm likely to ever put it through.

I went looking for a break in oil change and couldn't find anything.
The dealer said there was no recommended break in change, so I did mine at 3k --- they tried to encourage me to go to 5k, but I didn't feel right doing that.
But, I'm not hard driving it.
There is a break-in period however. 100 miles before extended WOT and 1000 miles before high-speed or track use.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This
I'm very happy knowing that I have a car that is engineered to take more than I'm likely to ever put it through.

I went looking for a break in oil change and couldn't find anything.
The dealer said there was no recommended break in change, so I did mine at 3k --- they tried to encourage me to go to 5k, but I didn't feel right doing that.
But, I'm not hard driving it.
There is a break-in period however. 100 miles before extended WOT and 1000 miles before high-speed or track use.
I'm at 994 miles on my GT500 and am making plans as we speak to get the oil changed. I'm a little bummed bc I will not be able to do it myself as I don't have the ramps, lift, or jack yet. Plus, if I have it done at the Ford dealership I'm not responsible if anything happens (like they forgot to put in the drain plug, don't laugh, it happens :rolleyes:) AND it's logged into the vehicles maintenance history (and CARFAX). I agree with getting the first oil change done fairly quickly to get any break in metal material out of the engine. Definitely can't/won't hurt anything by doing that. ALL engines "break in" over time regardless of what was done when the engine was built and installed at the assembly plant. It's physics, metal on metal causes wear and material to contaminate the oil. The more you change the oil the cleaner your engine will stay (but it's expensive in our cars!!) Just depends on your budget and time and how anal you may or may not be. ;)
One additional comment: It states in the manual that the oil should be changed before and after track days, so that tells you how important keeping clean oil in there is. (y)

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
734 Posts
I'm at 994 miles on my GT500 and am making plans as we speak to get the oil changed. I'm a little bummed bc I will not be able to do it myself as I don't have the ramps, lift, or jack yet. Plus, if I have it done at the Ford dealership I'm not responsible if anything happens (like they forgot to put in the drain plug, don't laugh, it happens :rolleyes:) AND it's logged into the vehicles maintenance history (and CARFAX). I agree with getting the first oil change done fairly quickly to get any break in metal material out of the engine. Definitely can't/won't hurt anything by doing that. ALL engines "break in" over time regardless of what was done when the engine was built and installed at the assembly plant. It's physics, metal on metal causes wear and material to contaminate the oil. The more you change the oil the cleaner your engine will stay (but it's expensive in our cars!!) Just depends on your budget and time and how anal you may or may not be. ;)
One additional comment: It states in the manual that the oil should be changed before and after track days, so that tells you how important keeping clean oil in there is. (y)
Oh yeah.... my dealer forgot to put my oil filler cap back on mine...... now I'm using a different dealer haha

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,585 Posts
Oh yeah.... my dealer forgot to put my oil filler cap back on mine...... now I'm using a different dealer haha
We have seen many posts here through the years where oil change techs screwed stuff up. They rarely see a GT500 if ever and assume it’s like a 5.0. They often put the wrong type or amount of oil in these cars. I highly recommend babysitting the car and verifying what goes in it. Have them do the 1/2 quart first... if they overshoot the 1/2, they have many more chances to nail it. If they do it last, you are stuck with that amount.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We have seen many posts here through the years where oil change techs screwed stuff up. They rarely see a GT500 if ever and assume it’s like a 5.0. They often put the wrong type or amount of oil in these cars. I highly recommend babysitting the car and verifying what goes in it. Have them do the 1/2 quart first... if they overshoot the 1/2, they have many more chances to nail it. If they do it last, you are stuck with that amount.
I completely agree, Tim. I wish I could do it myself but I don't have my tools and garage set up yet for my DIY projects. The house is 3 years old and I just moved in last year so still working on projects in the basement, laundry room and closets. The garage is being planned now and I have cabinets being shipped as we speak.
I will try and see if I can babysit the oil change, that would make me happy!

·
Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
266 Posts
If you are having just an oil/filter change done at the dealer then you are more then likely not getting an experienced Tech. Roll the dice if you want. I have had a lot of bad luck with dealers, I just don't trust them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you are having just an oil/filter change done at the dealer then you are more then likely not getting an experienced Tech. Roll the dice if you want. I have had a lot of bad luck with dealers, I just don't trust them.
I completely hear what you're saying and I agree. I will double check everything the best I can. I wont be able to check if the o-rings were replaced or properly installed on the new oil filter, is one of my concerns for sure.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts