Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Just popped in to say hi and share some insight on what I believe is the MOST IMPORTANT MOD and FIRST MOD to do to your GT50) and any of your other ponys.

Quick background: Awhile back I ripped into the intake of my '98 Cobra. Man was it fouled with oil. I am a faithful Mobil 1 user and the car only had 28K on the odo. My mechanic told me it was from the PCV, not be ing bad, but just the excessive amount of oil that was venting back through the system from the crankcase. Right about that time, I recall seeing Steeda's Oil Separator. (I am from SO FL and 15 mins from Steeda but by no means do I worship them, work for them, or endorse all of their products, however they got it right with this one). It was originally designed for the '03-'04 Cobras but can be used on any car, to separate and collect the vaporized OIL coming up from the crankcase, allowing only AIR back into the intake.

YOU WON'T BELEIVE THE AMOUNT OF OIL THAT YOU WILL SEE JUST AFTER 100 MILES. AND IT ALL WOULD HAVE BEEN IN YOUR INTAKE. Plus no more clouds of oil laden smoke when you start your Stang.

THIS IS THE PART FORD FORGOT ABOUT:

"Steeda Oil Separator

555-3710 Steeda Oil Separator - Fits '79 - '04 $69.95

Steeda's oil separator kit reduces detonation, oil burning and deposits on the valves by removing oil drawn through the PCV system before it can contaminate the intake charge.
Excess crankcase pressure (sometimes known as "blow-by") is vented from the crankcase through the PCV system, where it is drawn into the intake manifold and returned by the engine. This re circulated air contains aerated oil from the crankcase which is burned by the engine. Supercharged, nitrous boosted and high mileage engines often draw excessive amounts of oil into the engine through the PCV system. The Steeda oil separator plugs into the PCV hose between the PCV valve and the intake manifold and removes aerated oil from the re circulated air and collects it in a tube that can be drained and recycled.

The kit includes the oil separator, connecting hoses, a mounting bracket and hardware. Instructions for installation on a '03-04 Cobra are included, but the kit can be used on any vehicle.

© 2005 STEEDA AUTOSPORTS INC. All Rights Reserved. 1351 NW Steeda Way Pompano Beach, Florida 33069"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: First and foremost mod should be.......

Man I thought this thread would be loaded with comments, replies, etc. Oh well.

Re the warranty question: It's been said on here many times, if you are going to modify your car, get in good with a Ford Shop Foreman, Service Writer, etc, at YOUR local dealership. Some larger dealerships are cool with mods and it has been my experience that as long as the SPECIFIC mod didnt' cause your warranty issue, you are okay.

The smart thing to do would be to put the vehicle back to as stock as possible if you have a warranty claim. This particular item can be put on and taken if is a matter of minutes. It simply goes in line between the pcv and the intake. I put mine on my '04 Cobra before I drove it off the lot.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Man I thought this thread would be loaded with comments, replies, etc. Oh well.

Re the warranty question: It's been said on here many times, if you are going to modify your car, get in good with a Ford Shop Foreman, Service Writer, etc, at YOUR local dealership. Some larger dealerships are cool with mods and it has been my experience that as long as the SPECIFIC mod didnt' cause your warranty issue, you are okay.

The smart thing to do would be to put the vehicle back to as stock as possible if you have a warranty claim. This particular item can be put on and taken if is a matter of minutes. It simply goes in line between the pcv and the intake. I put mine on my '04 Cobra before I drove it off the lot.

Hi Snake.Glad to see you back.I hope everything is well?I got my Shelby and I love it.Going to the Ford yacht club on Grosse Isle this weekend.They are having a car and off shore power boat show.Should be a good time.Anyone that wants to go let me know!It is free and very,very nice.Well gotta go...................07............................

·
Registered
257 Posts

Hi 98Snake...I'm gonna get one. Thanks for the tip and it was nice to hear back from you. My car isn't here yet, but I'll take it to the dealership w/me when the call comes in. I grew up w/the New Car Mgr. @ the dealership I'm working with, so I don't believe I'll have any warranty issues on this or any other mods I plan to make in the future...so long as she stays put...:)

·
Registered
257 Posts

Hi Snake.Glad to see you back.I hope everything is well?I got my Shelby and I love it.Going to the Ford yacht club on Grosse Isle this weekend.They are having a car and off shore power boat show.Should be a good time.Anyone that wants to go let me know!It is free and very,very nice.Well gotta go...................07............................
Ford Yacht Club, New Shelby, New Garage, New Exhaust, Interior Chrome Accessories and a whole drawer full of GT500 'T' Shirts...07, anyone ever told you, you know how to live?? :p

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

98SNAKE,

555-3710 is that the part number for the Steeda oil separator or the telephone number? Looks like a telephone number and just asking before I order one through my local dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Ford Yacht Club, New Shelby, New Garage, New Exhaust, Interior Chrome Accessories and a whole drawer full of GT500 'T' Shirts...07, anyone ever told you, you know how to live?? :p
Thanks Shelbywise, but just for the record I don't belong to the Ford Yacht Club.I was invited from the Shelby Club(which I do belong to)and anyone who wants to go is invited free of charge.Other than that the rest is true.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Good to hear from you too! Man you are a "Super Moderator" on here now. I remember when you were just a "newbie". Awesome. Enjoy the car. Enjoy life!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi 98Snake...I'm gonna get one. Thanks for the tip and it was nice to hear back from you. My car isn't here yet, but I'll take it to the dealership w/me when the call comes in. I grew up w/the New Car Mgr. @ the dealership I'm working with, so I don't believe I'll have any warranty issues on this or any other mods I plan to make in the future...so long as she stays put...:)
Great to hear from you to ShelbyWise. Enjoy your new baby! I know I am out of the Shelby game but I am loving my "new to me" 04 Cobra. After the drive back from NC, she still has only 1344 on the ticker! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

98SNAKE,

555-3710 is that the part number for the Steeda oil separator or the telephone number? Looks like a telephone number and just asking before I order one through my local dealer.
Welcome shlbysvt, that is inded the part number. To be sure and actually view a pic of the separator, go to www.steeda.com and use their search engine to either search by entering "oil separator" or the part number.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

98Snake

Thanks for the information. Just orderd the oil separator from Steeda. Sounds like an important mod to me. Now all I need is my Shelby.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Welcome shlbysvt, that is inded the part number. To be sure and actually view a pic of the separator, go to www.steeda.com and use their search engine to either search by entering "oil separator" or the part number.
98Snake,

Is this oil separator an easy self install? Also, can it be easily removed if there is a warranty issue? It seems like this wouldn't be a warranty issue, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

98Snake,

Is this oil separator an easy self install? Also, can it be easily removed if there is a warranty issue? It seems like this wouldn't be a warranty issue, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Super easy on my 98 and 04 Cobras. Can't see much changing on the PCV system on the GT500.

Basically the PCV valve (which is usually located inside of a grommet on top of the valve cover) has a hose running from it to the intake. The oil separator goes inline, in between the PCV valve and the intake. Hoses are included with the kit. Therefore, a hose comes off the PCV valve into the separator. Another hose goes out of the separator into the intake.

The separator can be mounted on the firewall or can be tied to something with wire ties if you want a less intrusive mount.

If you ever needed to take it off, you could just pull the hoses off, attach the factory hose to your intake, and re-attach it to the PCV valve.

Put it this way, when I picked up my '04 I put it on in the dealership parking lot with no tools before driving away.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Excellent! Thanks, 98Snake. I may have to pick one up. (If I ever get my @#$%& Shelby)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Good to hear from you too! Man you are a "Super Moderator" on here now. I remember when you were just a "newbie". Awesome. Enjoy the car. Enjoy life!
98Snake,
I am getting a lot of mileage out of the Super Moderator gig but I am just helping the powers that be keep all the spam off the site.We are all "newbies"I am just trying to help people with their Shelbys when I can.There are a lot of emotions,high and low with the anticipation of delivery.No matter what you say we all just have to wait till it comes in.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

98Snake,
I am getting a lot of mileage out of the Super Moderator gig but I am just helping the powers that be keep all the spam off the site.We are all "newbies"I am just trying to help people with their Shelbys when I can.There are a lot of emotions,high and low with the anticipation of delivery.No matter what you say we all just have to wait till it comes in.
Well said 07. Have been here just as long only taking it all in and staying on the side lines. You make this a great site.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I got an SCT programmer for the GT500 and found it on ebay. Got 35 hp at the tires. Not bad for something that takes 2 minutes to install.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Received my oil separator today. From the previous posts it sounds like there is no warranty issues if the separator is installed. For those who already have installed the oil separator, did you mount it to the fire wall or use a different method? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

Greetings all. Just popped in to say hi and share some insight on what I believe is the MOST IMPORTANT MOD and FIRST MOD to do to your GT50) and any of your other ponys.

Quick background: Awhile back I ripped into the intake of my '98 Cobra. Man was it fouled with oil. I am a faithful Mobil 1 user and the car only had 28K on the odo. My mechanic told me it was from the PCV, not be ing bad, but just the excessive amount of oil that was venting back through the system from the crankcase. Right about that time, I recall seeing Steeda's Oil Separator. (I am from SO FL and 15 mins from Steeda but by no means do I worship them, work for them, or endorse all of their products, however they got it right with this one). It was originally designed for the '03-'04 Cobras but can be used on any car, to separate and collect the vaporized OIL coming up from the crankcase, allowing only AIR back into the intake.

YOU WON'T BELEIVE THE AMOUNT OF OIL THAT YOU WILL SEE JUST AFTER 100 MILES. AND IT ALL WOULD HAVE BEEN IN YOUR INTAKE. Plus no more clouds of oil laden smoke when you start your Stang.

THIS IS THE PART FORD FORGOT ABOUT:

"Steeda Oil Separator

555-3710 Steeda Oil Separator - Fits '79 - '04 $69.95

Steeda's oil separator kit reduces detonation, oil burning and deposits on the valves by removing oil drawn through the PCV system before it can contaminate the intake charge.
Excess crankcase pressure (sometimes known as "blow-by") is vented from the crankcase through the PCV system, where it is drawn into the intake manifold and returned by the engine. This re circulated air contains aerated oil from the crankcase which is burned by the engine. Supercharged, nitrous boosted and high mileage engines often draw excessive amounts of oil into the engine through the PCV system. The Steeda oil separator plugs into the PCV hose between the PCV valve and the intake manifold and removes aerated oil from the re circulated air and collects it in a tube that can be drained and recycled.

The kit includes the oil separator, connecting hoses, a mounting bracket and hardware. Instructions for installation on a '03-04 Cobra are included, but the kit can be used on any vehicle.

© 2005 STEEDA AUTOSPORTS INC. All Rights Reserved. 1351 NW Steeda Way Pompano Beach, Florida 33069"
With anxiety running high I purchased several items before I received my Shelby, one of which was the oil seperator. When I was a young one the only item installed on our motors, for environmental purposes, was the PCV valve, which was located on the rocker arm covers of all vehicles, and fead back into the intake manifold. When I read this thread I felt it was a good mod for the Shelby. Upon delivery of my Shelby I noticed there were two hoses coming off the rocker arm covers, nicely mounted with clamps and hoses I do not want to disturb. Gone are the days of feeler gauges and timing lights. Any one want to buy a Streeda oil seperator still in the box please PM me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts