Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I purchased used VMP GEN II R, and need some advised for my future setup.

Right now installed:
Stock Supercharge (2.6 pulley)
Gear ratio 3.31
Spark Plug Heat 6
SLP Loud Mouth Exaust
Auxiliary Idley Pulley kit double bearing
JLT Carbon Air Intake 123mm
BBK Twin 65mm Throttle Body

What I am thinking for setup, I am hoping to hit 7xx rwhp:
VMP GEN II R 2.3L (2.42 pulley)
AFCO Double Pass Heat Exchange (installed)
Reische 170* Thermostat with Gasket (I have it, but not installed yet)
Ford Performance Super Cobra Jet Oval Throttle Body
Fuel pump booster and FIC1000 INJECTORS
Ford Performance Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft

I did ask my dyno guy, but did not heard much from him :(

Thanks for help guys,
Claude

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
If your car is more street car than race car, I'd probably go with the VMP 69mm throttle body as opposed to the mono. The pick up from the mono won't be that significant and you'd probably have slightly better drivability with a twin. The rest of it looks fine. Be sure to recalibrate your fans for the thermostat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I do not think you are going to make your power requirement on that boost level and mods on pump gas.
Longtubes and FFE would deff help quite a bit here.
I would go to a 7 range plug though, but otherwise looks like it will be a stout setup. Just make sure you got solid 93 octane

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,693 Posts
Nice upgrades Claude!

As Catmonkey eluded to regarding the throttle body... very few tuners have been able to dial-in the mono-blade throttle body. I believe Lund has had decent success from what I recall reading, but the upgraded twin 65 or 67 throttles have had great success regarding drive-ability.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I didn't think Ford still made the monoblade throttle body either. VMP is currently making one identical to it and calling it the 137.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Alex from Lund have stated many of times if you are making in the 800's or less, having a mono will yield little to no gains over a twin of decent size and quality.
Mostly likely to gain is problems of tip in or idle hang issues.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your car is more street car than race car, I'd probably go with the VMP 69mm throttle body as opposed to the mono. The pick up from the mono won't be that significant and you'd probably have slightly better drivability with a twin. The rest of it looks fine. Be sure to recalibrate your fans for the thermostat.
Nice upgrades Claude!

As Catmonkey eluded to regarding the throttle body... very few tuners have been able to dial-in the mono-blade throttle body. I believe Lund has had decent success from what I recall reading, but the upgraded twin 65 or 67 throttles have had great success regarding drive-ability.
Great input, so i already have BBK Twin 65mm Throttle Body installed, Do you guys thing good enough or go a little bigger?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Great input, so i already have BBK Twin 65mm Throttle Body installed, Do you guys thing good enough or go a little bigger?
I have made well into the 700's on pump gas and a Cobrajet twin 65.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have made well into the 700's on pump gas and a Cobrajet twin 65.
Great to hear that ?, so seem keeping my BBK 65mm will do the work.

So so far, I will do following installed:
What you guys think about VMP fuel pump and FIC1000 injectors? so many selection, hard to decide, but seem good kit all together!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,693 Posts
I’m running a Ford Racing twin 65 with my 2.9 Whipple... works great/zero issues!

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I don't know much about the BBK and you're the only guy I know running one. The Ford 65mm is supposed to flow 1322 cfm according to flow bench testing by Kenne Bell. The theoretical airflow for 2.3 with a 2.4" pulley should be pumping 1,442 cfm at 6,000 rpm. I think the 67 mm is going to be in slightly below that range, but don't forget the keyword "theoretical". Surely it won't better that. Best I can figure is the 69mm would come in around 1,500 cfm. KB flow tested the CJ mono at 1,701 cfm. The 69 mm just seems to match the airflow requirements of the blower even though its not at its best efficiency at that higher rpm. That's my thoughts on the throttle body. Bigger throttle bodies are going to be monos and they just come with inherent idle issues. VMP's conclusion in dealing with their big monos is the TB motor is not stout enough for the bigger heavier blades for reliable electronic control and the effects of engine vacuum.

·
Registered
239 Posts

What you guys think about VMP fuel pump and FIC1000 injectors? so many selection, hard to decide, but seem good kit all together!
new had this topic the other day. A booster is a booster. I think the KB ones provide higher voltages, but that is A whole other topic.
Personally I would opt for a nicer billet throttle body that has had testing done, but that is me. BBK is ok. It works, but not fabulous by any means
Your mod list is great though.
Personally I run the TR7IX plugs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know much about the BBK and you're the only guy I know running one. The Ford 65mm is supposed to flow 1322 cfm according to flow bench testing by Kenne Bell. The theoretical airflow for 2.3 with a 2.4" pulley should be pumping 1,442 cfm at 6,000 rpm. I think the 67 mm is going to be in slightly below that range, but don't forget the keyword "theoretical". Surely it won't better that. Best I can figure is the 69mm would come in around 1,500 cfm. KB flow tested the CJ mono at 1,701 cfm. The 69 mm just seems to match the airflow requirements of the blower even though its not at its best efficiency at that higher rpm. That's my thoughts on the throttle body. Bigger throttle bodies are going to be monos and they just come with inherent idle issues. VMP's conclusion in dealing with their big monos is the TB motor is not stout enough for the bigger heavier blades for reliable electronic control and the effects of engine vacuum.
new had this topic the other day. A booster is a booster. I think the KB ones provide higher voltages, but that is A whole other topic.
Personally I would opt for a nicer billet throttle body that has had testing done, but that is me. BBK is ok. It works, but not fabulous by any means
Your mod list is great though.
Personally I run the TR7IX plugs.
Very good point guys on BBK, I want to do right things on TB.

That is why i love this forum! great info with a lot of experience forum members!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,267 Posts
FRPP mono-blade is a great T/B, good for 20+ hp @ the wheel over a twin 65mm. Ran one on my 11, which replaced the FRPP 750 kit twin 65, & noticed NO difference in drive-ability. It was a no brainer choice for my 14.
Some of the " tooners " had issues tuning them, mine didn't. ( I suspect but have no proof that most of these issues involved " canned tunes "..
According to the Mfg. ( Accufab ) a twin 65mm flows 1517cfm, the mono-blade flows 1797cfm.
There are larger mono-blades out there, which I have no experience with, the FRPP I do.
& it would appear you can still buy them..................good luck with your decision..

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some of the " tooners " had issues tuning them, mine didn't. ( I suspect but have no proof that most of these issues involved " canned tunes "..
First great pics of engine bay.

I got email reply from my dyno guy, he told me stay away from mono-blade, tunes will be an issues. I prefer to stay on safe side!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,267 Posts
First great pics of engine bay.

I got email reply from my dyno guy, he told me stay away from mono-blade, tunes will be an issues. I prefer to stay on safe side!
Something I forgot to mention.
Going from a twin 65mm to the mono-blade required NO ADJUSTMENTS TO THE TUNE. ( 2011 MY )

·
Registered
6 Posts

The boosters and fic 1000s are a good choice to have. I am looking at doing the same setup on my car I have the boosters waiting to go in.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts