Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally got the Nitto 335/30/18s installed and snapped some photos. See they do fit!

I'll take a couple shots of the whole car outside when it quits raining. I finally got it clean from the body shop.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Cool! Who chromed your wheels?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Nice!

Are those rims same width as stock size (thought stock was 9.5")? What mods did you need to make for them to fit?

How much were the tires (look like the 555R from the sidewall photo and tread pattern) each?

Did you replace the front tires too?

TD

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheels are replicas that I bought already chromed from discount tire. Sent 2 to Weldcraft and had them widened from 9.5 to 11. Tires are Nitto 555R. No modification to the car, they just fit fine. No rubbing at all.

Cost breakdown as follows, Wheels were $195 each, tires $291, wheel widening was $225 each and return shippping. I reused the stock front tires and purchased TPMS sensor bands and mounts for $24/set of 4 from Discount when they mounted/balanced the tires.

The valve cover in the photo are the take offs from when I installed FRPP chrome valve covers a few months back. Need some stock covers to get chromed?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The wheels are replicas that I bought already chromed from discount tire. Sent 2 to Weldcraft and had them widened from 9.5 to 11. Tires are Nitto 555R. No modification to the car, they just fit fine. No rubbing at all.

Cost breakdown as follows, Wheels were $195 each, tires $291, wheel widening was $225 each and return shippping. I reused the stock front tires and purchased TPMS sensor bands and mounts for $24/set of 4 from Discount when they mounted/balanced the tires.

The valve cover in the photo are the take offs from when I installed FRPP chrome valve covers a few months back. Need some stock covers to get chromed?
Nice JC . What is the offset (back space )that you ended up with on the 11" wide rims ?

Thanks ,
George.....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice JC . What is the offset (back space )that you ended up with on the 11" wide rims ?

Thanks ,
George.....
The wheels started off as 50mm offset. Added 1.5" to the inside. The resulting offset is 69mm.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Just to clarify...you don't have any suspension mods such as lowering springs??

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The wheels started off as 50mm offset. Added 1.5" to the inside. The resulting offset is 69mm.
Prepare for stupid question....

What is offset and why is it important?

So the real thing I'd like to know is, how do the tires hook up (and what kinda Torque at you putting out at the rear wheels?)

TD

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weldcraft took about 2 weeks plus shipping back to me took fedex about 5 days.

The car has been lowerd a bit. Hard to say exactly how much as I have ground control coilovers that are adjustable in height. I would estimate about 1.5" lower than stock in the back.

Offset is the dimension between the flange mounting face and the centerline of the wheel. Defines where the wheel sit in relation to the car. (Thanks harley99fb for posting the link)

The tires hook far better than the Goodyear F1s but I can still easily spin them if I nail it in first. Still requires feathering the throttle on launch.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Prepare for stupid question....

What is offset and why is it important?

So the real thing I'd like to know is, how do the tires hook up (and what kinda Torque at you putting out at the rear wheels?)

TD
It is important to keep the wheel tucked in the wheel well so it won't protrude beyond the upper lip.I think that's where offset is important.
To be honest this is a bit confusing to me as well.
Here is a very good tire and wheel calculator
http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JC by adding an inch and one half to the offset wouldn't that bring the wheel out from the fender that much ? Or did you just add the 1-1/2 to the backspacing which would add the width to the inside of the wheel well?

Here is a very good tire and wheel calculator
http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp
The 1.5" was added to the inside. Therefore the offset was only increased by 19mm as stated above.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Looks great, JC!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Those tires... Look perfect.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts