Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone turned a decent time with their car.. it looks like I will have to be careful even with the stock 08 corvette as they seem to turn better times and nothing is more embarrasing than having a fat old bald guy laughing at you as he pulls away in his Vette.. thats what drives them here in Florida:D

Maybe I will only go from a roll that way tire spin can be controlled..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Anyone turned a decent time with their car.. it looks like I will have to be careful even with the stock 08 corvette as they seem to turn better times and nothing is more embarrasing than having a fat old bald guy laughing at you as he pulls away in his Vette.. thats what drives them here in Florida:D

Maybe I will only go from a roll that way tire spin can be controlled..
..and what's wrong with being fat, old and bald???????:mad:

going from a roll is a good thing, hard to get traction from a stop or low speeds. A lot of folks would like to have our problem :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I am sorry as I did not mean to insult you..:D but fortunately for me I still have a lot of hair--must have been the easy life I lead.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

going from a roll is a good thing, hard to get traction from a stop or low speeds. A lot of folks would like to have our problem :D
Reminds me of a little email humor I sent out a couple years ago - stereotypes of who drives which cars...
2 memorable stereotypes I recall were -

Volvo- bad driver who either knows this or, more frequently, has no idea their driving sucks.
Saab- same as the volvo but they really believe they are good drivers
Corvette- bald or balding, usually with greying hair.
Trans-Am- Have a poster from the movie Rocky hanging in their bedroom and probably wearing too much Polo.

Had about 25 cars on the list.

As far as best stock times, I don't think many have posted their tiems in stock form. Low 12s to high 12s depending on the weather and driver I think are probably right on.

TD

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't wait for the local track to reopen, but I'm thinking mid 11's right now. I raced a stock "08 Vette and when i shutdown at 130ish I had about 8 lenghts on him. Granted it was a 20 roll, but still. The embarassing part for him was I went home got my Marauder (runs a steady 12.90) and he had about a length on me doing the same gig.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I better go from a roll... a laughing bald head old man would make me want to go and hide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off i am a former Cobra and GT owner.....i will be back in a Ford again..real soon.

As for this post.

04GTO when stock and spraying 75 shot killled a maurader.....an 04 GTO is suppose to be a 14 second car..

the GT500 vs a BASE vette with 400 na HP c'mon boost is fantastic for rolling runs... but throw a few twists and turns....and i feel sorry for the GT500

I personally want a GT500 i don't care if its running 12.8 stock.....its very cool and a looker.....and at the price ....put a few dollars into key areas and you'll match any Stock Vette.
cept for the Zr1

but my point is i have a 06 GTO with over 500 rwhp and an excellent suspension package( from australia) and even upgraded brakes.....

And correcting ,as much as i can, the dynamics of this GTO.....its a good match for the Z though weight is the ultimate mod, hence a car like the Z06 performing well above its on paper figures.

the GT500 is a heavy weight.....and boosted from the factory with good HP

why didn't Ford thik to put better wider rubber/ better weight distribution

i mean My Stock 02 Ws6 ran a 13 flat almost everytime in hot south florida.

i just don't get it.......and the vette is a status symble.... not a muscle car
or dragger.....it does everything in balance. Hence why ii bought one.

I'm not bald....far from being fat....and not that old (40)

if all my machines were to run in 70 degree weather ...i could guarantee another .2-.3 right off the bat.

the Z is a freak i've seen...not done it...see a measly 505 hp Vette beat the new Viper at 600 hp and the Viper is lite......

I thinkwe should al look for balance in our machines.....my 99 Cobra embarasssed alot of SS's and Ws6's and even a few C5's they had mods and so did i.

anyway i want to say i'm not trollling but am looking to see which Ford is the most balanced 500 hp and 12's does not compute.....especially s/c were you get that instant torque....hence the Maruarder hanging with the a base c6. in a straight line... i wonder if the maruader would do as well trying to catch the c6 as if the c6 were criminals in the city and the maurader was a cop.

I pick on the maruarder cause it was one of the first competitions i won
and the final was the 04 GTO and the Maruader....i ran a 12.2 @ 113 i think he ran a higher trap 115 with a 12.7x
Heavyweight Shootouts

i got him in the 60 and 330 bad.....then he came on strong. Yep. Boosting from a roll is the tickect to a win... i really love Stangs. just wish they perfomed to there hp potetial

peace and any GM haters i've still got the Busa which will anniliate any American car plus a few euro/ jap exotics

all for 11k$ bone stock and beleive me i hate rice ...but this machine is just that, a machine

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm not bald, either. Losing a little hair on top now, but I was 34 when I bought my Z06 new and had a full head of hair. Maybe it started falling out on the top-end of the 11.2 @ 138mph pass. LOL

In all seriousness though, I understand the stereotype.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is life in this old thread:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
let me just say this 900rf. (rf, for ridiculous F*#K??) I am 65, few lbs over,
and lost some hair. I just bought a 08 GT500 vert in June. Traded 07
GT for it. I think you better get a grip, if you think just young weenies
drive these cars. I was driving orginals of these when you probably were'nt
even a cum drop. You may think your some "hot shit", but just remeber
if you survive, you may be the same thing. With any luck you'll be trying
to pull "wheelies" in your wheelchair, in a nursing home at 95. What's
your oldman drive? F*&K Off!!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wow!....you forgot to tell that whipper snapper to get off your damn lawn!:simmadown:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Chill chill, way to take something the wrong way. It wasn't even aimed at anyone in particular.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
Funny GT1...lol. Devil loves to promote his GM stuff, but there's 7 and 8 sec 96-98 cobras all day on youtube. If you've got that kind of money to blow, more power to you...I wish I did. There was a guy that used to go to the Steeda Stampede every year with a white 96-98 cobra that would run high 7s at 196mph...but he would never show me what was under the hood... It was still the highlight of the show every year, best part was he drove it there and home.

As far as you old guys go, I'm 26, lucky enough to have a good job and one of these cars. I go out in my garage every day and fall in love over and over again. When I'm your age, I will definitely not be driving a Buick, so more power to you...just do us a favor...make sure you're not doing 30 in a 60 :) .

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good Lord, you guys are all makin me nervous. Being that I'm at the wonderful age of 54, I'm not sure what I should be driving, or what you should be driving. I love quick cars and fast cars no matter what badging they have on the side.
This site should be reflecting the performance that all of us enjoy along with the info share stories, and I got one for ya........

This past weekend I was sitting at a light and some "elegant looking" SUV pulled up along side me with a guy and his wife. They looked to be in their late 60s early 70s and they were smiling @ me and looking at my Shelby. Just as the light turned green, this guy nails the throttle and the shit was on! My tires went up in flames as he pulled about 1.5 car lenths on me. I finally hooked up and did not get along side him until I redlined the car in second gear! The grins on their faces were a picture waiting for a frame! At this point I still did not know what this guy was driving as I had never seen one. At the next light he rolled up to me and dropped his window and said "I have waited some time for a car like yours to pull the light with".
But I will tell you guys one thing that is for sure, I will never forget what a NEW Porsche Cayenne Turbo S looks like :pinklove:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Funny GT1...lol. Devil loves to promote his GM stuff, but there's 7 and 8 sec 96-98 cobras all day on youtube. If you've got that kind of money to blow, more power to you...I wish I did. There was a guy that used to go to the Steeda Stampede every year with a white 96-98 cobra that would run high 7s at 196mph...but he would never show me what was under the hood... It was still the highlight of the show every year, best part was he drove it there and home.

As far as you old guys go, I'm 26, lucky enough to have a good job and one of these cars. I go out in my garage every day and fall in love over and over again. When I'm your age, I will definitely not be driving a Buick, so more power to you...just do us a favor...make sure you're not doing 30 in a 60 :) .
No... I'm downshifting and looking for an opening into the passing lane at 60mph. :)

I remember 26... I was in my 5.0 liter Mustang running high-10s and running the True Street 5.0 series. Loved every minute of it.

Still working on a deal on a GT500 to add to my stable. It'll be done shortly! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
larryagray1, I never meant to insult someone of your age and weight and if you read the complete thread you should be able to comprehend that especially considering what you drive "GT500" being a lot younger than you and always looking for a role model I'm more than a little disgusted at your language and bad attitude directed towards me for no obvious reason other than not reading the 1st post, especially since I was talking about Vette drivers (Quote)
"fat old bald guy laughing at you as he pulls away in his Vette"

Please don't feel insulted as this was not meant for you or anyone in particular, it was intended to be taken as humor only :cheers:

As you can see I keep myself in shape
[/IMG]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Noted RF, admit I got a little carried away, just get a little upset at people
continuing to think, just because your a certain age, you should drive a
certain vehicle. Remeber bald, and fat does not mean old age. Just look
at some of these monsters on the offensive line in the NFL. I also love
to listen to Metallica, when cruising with the top down, no line dance
music in my 500.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Larry if it makes you feel any better I just turned 59 and still like to raise hell:) so I guess I'm no spring chicken either

1 - 20 of 25 Posts