Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Has anyone had their factory wheels refinished? How were the results?

I have wheels from a 2008 and 2013 GT500, that have damage. I am in South Florida, and looking to see if it's worth having wheels refinished or trying to buy new. The 2008 wheels are factory, and are corroding under the clear coat (not sure why). The 2013 wheel was bumped and chipped (not curbed). Photos for reference:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,176 Posts
Hey Guys,

Has anyone had their factory wheels refinished? How were the results?

I have wheels from a 2008 and 2013 GT500, that have damage. I am in South Florida, and looking to see if it's worth having wheels refinished or trying to buy new. The 2008 wheels are factory, and are corroding under the clear coat (not sure why). The 2013 wheel was bumped and chipped (not curbed). Photos for reference:

View attachment 223112

View attachment 223114

View attachment 223115

View attachment 223116
I have seen a few threads through the years here regarding having wheels redone. It’s ill advised to do just one as it won’t quite match. At a minimum, do both on the same side and doing all four is best.

Reactions: Smokin_Snake

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,049 Posts
The PP wheel color is beyond most painter's/powder coater's range to color match, like Tim stated. They can make those wheels look like new, but they will never match if they only do one. Here's my wheels post powder coating. Color match was pretty close, but these had a glossier finish. Just not as flat as the original finish.

Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the share guys. For the 2013 wheel, I'll just buy and OEM new. Looks like the are still pretty widely available. The 2007-2009's look scare as far as buying "like new" undamaged. Should I take the path of trying to find OEM new, or having all 4 refinished? I am not driving the cars (much), mostly keeping for investment purposes; So i'd like to keep as factory as possible.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,176 Posts
Thanks for the share guys. For the 2013 wheel, I'll just buy and OEM new. Looks like the are still pretty widely available. The 2007-2009's look scare as far as buying "like new" undamaged. Should I take the path of trying to find OEM new, or having all 4 refinished? I am not driving the cars (much), mostly keeping for investment purposes; So i'd like to keep as factory as possible.
If you can find additional wheels in good condition, that would help. Keep an eye on eBay and FB Marketplace.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,372 Posts
If it's truly for investment purposes I'd look for factory units vs having them refinished.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
404 Posts
I had two of mine done in December because one was curb-rashed (front driver) and the other (rear passenger) - even though a Ford SVT wheel - was significantly darker than the other ones. I took 3 of them to the wheel place - the 3rd was a control for color matching. They came out 97% close and I'd also say I cannot tell AT ALL the one was ever curb rashed. The refinished wheels are slightly shinier than the OEM. I think they did a good job and now wish I had given them all four! Cost around $450 for everything - and that included mount and balancing.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2011 Magnetic gray GT500
62 Posts
I have done 2 of the factory wheels on 2011 GT500. Had rash on rim from curb-driver error.
These wheels were a bit different in that they require the wheel to be stripped and then a special gloss black primer be used as first coat (reported to be over $260/qt). The final coat is similar to a candy and required a good eye to match and not get variation in densities. Price was $275/wheel including demount/mount and balance. Match was spot on. Twin City Wheel in White Bear Lake MN did the work. http://twincitywheel.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts