Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per Nick’s advice, I am reaching out to the members to see what options they like for a Superduty tow vehicle. I am looking to get a 2023 F350 SRW long bed truck this year. I will likely stick with the standard 6.7 diesel. I was leaning towards a Platinum, but learned late last night that Platinum and Limited orders are shut down for the year.

So far, my wish list is:

F350 SRW
Crew cab
8’ box
Paint: red or blue
6.7L turbo diesel (standard version)
Spray in bed liner
Retractable bed cover
Gooseneck hitch

· Registered
6,417 Posts
Incredible orders are shut down for the year.

I'm not a towing expert, so the specifics should be defined by more seasoned veterans but here's some:

1. Rear Gear: Seems to be several options, but looks like it locks you down to the 3.31 with the standard 6.7? Certainly upgrade to the electronic diff lock.
2. Alternator: There's several options there... bigger is always better?
3. Seems as thought he towing technology package is not that expensive ($925) and may be worth the upgrade? Easy to spend others' money...
4. Pro Power onboard - Do you haul a generator? May be nice to have mobile power onboard. Again, spending your money.
5. Gooseneck - I'd research factory installed vs aftermarket.
6. Spray-In Liner - As I mentioned on the other post, go aftermarket. My Line-X is worlds better than factory.
7. Air Bags - You can feel this out over time, but my buddy put bags on his Cummins for pulling a camper. Really helped level out and making driving dynamics better.

· Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
874 Posts
Here is another Forum, it's the Tremor model, but also has some SD topics/info you may find helpful. The Factory spray in bedliner had been a delay item, but that may have changed. I have factory and mine was a solid job vs aftermarket, but mine was a late 20' build. Definitely get the UTT/camera Trailer backup system. I would also get the "Upfitter" switches, you may never use them, but for things like a winch, air compressor system, or aux lights it much more convent to have in place. GL

https://www.fordtremor.com

· Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
5,991 Posts
Working off Lariat package.

• Two 6.7L diesel engines offered, but I see no need for you to get the HO one.
  • I have the 3.55 electronic locking rear end, but you have a choice between 3.31, 3.73, or 4.30. Given the new trucks have a 10 speed auto compared to my 6 speed, a 3.31 would be fine given all the torque in that 6.7L. These newer Super Duty trucks with the 10 speed do get better fuel economy than their predecessors. The electronic locker is nice sometimes like at boat ramps, but it's not helpful in the snow except when things get really bad. Then I went to 4wd plus locking the rear. This one isn't critical, and with shifting into 4wd so easy, you could just do that vice locking the rear end.
  • Mine was bought used, and the only option I don't want is the sun roof because it lowers the headliner by about 2".
  • Definitely get the towing tech package. Backup camera is terrific when hooking up to a trailer by yourself.
  • I'd get the snowplow/camper package for the heavier alternator, rear aux springs, and rear stabilizer bar.
  • The FX4 package has some nice features all under one package.
  • You'll want running boards or Diane will be pissed each time she struggles to get into the truck. The F350 IS higher than an F250. Most women (shorter people) grab the handle to pull themselves up while stepping onto the running board.
  • I absolutely love the tailgate step! Did I mention the F350 is higher, and it's even worse if you happen to park with the nose lower than the rear.
  • Power rear window, rear defrost, and remote start are very nice options that are part of the Lariat package.
  • Agree with getting upfitter switches. You'll be glad even if you only use one.
  • Surprised to see no captain's chair upgrade for front seats! I have them in my platinum, and had them in a previous lariat. Guess they don't give you that choice anymore for the lariat package.
  • Get the rapid heat supplemental cab heater! It gets a low amount of heat flowing immediately after starting, which helps the defrost effort. The big diesel engine doesn't heat up quickly. So you don't want to rely on engine heat. Even in the worst weather up in the mountains, when I remote start my truck with the windshield covered in snow, the windshield is clear by the time I get in.
  • Pro-power would be nice. I wired in a 2k or 2.5kw invertor to my truck that helped on different occasions. I've even run a chest freezer in the bed a few times.
  • The power side mirrors that are part of the Lariat package are very nice!

Just know that the diesel does require more maintenance (2 fuel filters changed ever 15k, more oil, DEF, and 2 batteries to name a few), and the emission loaded exhaust with DEF can be a pain if it acts up. It's beautiful to tow with, but I've read about some guys who don't tow a lot moving to the 7.3L gasser. It has less than half the torque, but the diesel has torque to spare for sure.

· Registered
2022 GT-500 CFTP
199 Posts
Working off Lariat package.

• Two 6.7L diesel engines offered, but I see no need for you to get the HO one.
  • I have the 3.55 electronic locking rear end, but you have a choice between 3.31, 3.73, or 4.30. Given the new trucks have a 10 speed auto compared to my 6 speed, a 3.31 would be fine given all the torque in that 6.7L. These newer Super Duty trucks with the 10 speed do get better fuel economy than their predecessors. The electronic locker is nice sometimes like at boat ramps, but it's not helpful in the snow except when things get really bad. Then I went to 4wd plus locking the rear. This one isn't critical, and with shifting into 4wd so easy, you could just do that vice locking the rear end.
  • Mine was bought used, and the only option I don't want is the sun roof because it lowers the headliner by about 2".
  • Definitely get the towing tech package. Backup camera is terrific when hooking up to a trailer by yourself.
  • I'd get the snowplow/camper package for the heavier alternator, rear aux springs, and rear stabilizer bar.
  • The FX4 package has some nice features all under one package.
  • You'll want running boards or Diane will be pissed each time she struggles to get into the truck. The F350 IS higher than an F250. Most women (shorter people) grab the handle to pull themselves up while stepping onto the running board.
  • I absolutely love the tailgate step! Did I mention the F350 is higher, and it's even worse if you happen to park with the nose lower than the rear.
  • Power rear window, rear defrost, and remote start are very nice options that are part of the Lariat package.
  • Agree with getting upfitter switches. You'll be glad even if you only use one.
  • Surprised to see no captain's chair upgrade for front seats! I have them in my platinum, and had them in a previous lariat. Guess they don't give you that choice anymore for the lariat package.
  • Get the rapid heat supplemental cab heater! It gets a low amount of heat flowing immediately after starting, which helps the defrost effort. The big diesel engine doesn't heat up quickly. So you don't want to rely on engine heat. Even in the worst weather up in the mountains, when I remote start my truck with the windshield covered in snow, the windshield is clear by the time I get in.
  • Pro-power would be nice. I wired in a 2k or 2.5kw invertor to my truck that helped on different occasions. I've even run a chest freezer in the bed a few times.
  • The power side mirrors that are part of the Lariat package are very nice!

Just know that the diesel does require more maintenance (2 fuel filters changed ever 15k, more oil, DEF, and 2 batteries to name a few), and the emission loaded exhaust with DEF can be a pain if it acts up. It's beautiful to tow with, but I've read about some guys who don't tow a lot moving to the 7.3L gasser. It has less than half the torque, but the diesel has torque to spare for sure.
Per Nick’s advice, I am reaching out to the members to see what options they like for a Superduty tow vehicle. I am looking to get a 2023 F350 SRW long bed truck this year. I will likely stick with the standard 6.7 diesel. I was leaning towards a Platinum, but learned late last night that Platinum and Limited orders are shut down for the year.

So far, my wish list is:

F350 SRW
Crew cab
8’ box
Spray in bed liner
Retractable bed cover
Gooseneck hitch
I wish I could help… I know nothing about 1 ton ford diesel trucks…
No joking though… I have 2 -23 orders 1 with a build date in early Feb…. The other not scheduled yet..
1 is a 7.3 gas…( ~8500.00 less than diesel)
The gas is a ranch feed truck and will get major abuse.. we will see..
Automotive parking light Car Sky Tire Land vehicle

· Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
5,991 Posts
I wish I could help… I know nothing about 1 ton ford diesel trucks…
No joking though… I have 2 -23 orders 1 with a build date in early Feb…. The other not scheduled yet..
1 is a 7.3 gas…( ~8500.00 less than diesel)
The gas is a ranch feed truck and will get major abuse.. we will see..
View attachment 261578
Own any F450’s? I’ve never been in one, but some guys over on FTE forum say they have a tighter turning radius and ride better.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoo

· Registered
'22 Code Orange
168 Posts
I've had 3 of this generation Ford SDs now. Happy shopping, prices are high, but these trucks have a ton (literally) of capability. Luxury car features, with amazing power and handling.

8ft bed will crimp your parking options and turning circle noticeably. The 6.75' standard bed is pretty spacious.
If you really want to go 8ft, consider a dually - if you keep tracking and racing you will get one eventually anyway :LOL: and they are not that bad as daily drivers, except for parking.

Lariat package is the sweet spot if it fits the budget. It now has a lot of features that were in the Lariat Ultimate (ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, power tilt/telescope)

Lariat Ultimate now adds features that were ala cart before, like power steps, adaptive cruise control etc. Not essential but nice to have.

5th wheel/gooseneck prep - get it - aftermarket costs 2x as much to install. OEM install after the fact costs 3x

Tow tech - get it - but does not add as much features as it used to - now is just backup assist, but it may add trailer views . 360 cam is now standard on the Lariat, and a must have.

Pro-Power - worth it for less than 1k. Its not enough to run a trailer AC, but will power anything else you need - fans, lights, tool chargers, etc.

3.55 axle - you want it, but build/price does not show it, and order guide only mentions F250 pkgs that add it. The other ratios are for gas (3.73) or dually (4.30). Work with your dealer in the actual order system to see what combo is needed - like the high capacity axle pkg.

HO 6.7 - $2k for the power upgrade is cheap for what you get, but not needed for your current towing need. Take it if you need it for the 3.55.

FX4 - its just stickers and skid plates. Any dealer stock order will add it. You can skip it on custom orders.

Tremor pkg - I used to think this was just a front limited slip and some stickers, but then I bought one, and the suspension is different. It is not a soft raptor suspension, but has the heavy duty rear axles and springs, 3.55, very well tuned shocks, and just generally nice driving. It is almost worth the price :) If you find one that is a tremor, don't rule it out.

· Registered
2022 GT-500 CFTP
199 Posts
Own any F450’s? I’ve never been in one, but some guys over on FTE forum say they have a tighter turning radius and ride better.
No Sir… no 450’s … not a big fan of the gearing on the 450…. We put air bags and super springs on our 350’s to increase our towing capacity and also helps with spring depression..
We have really heavy flatbeds made for our ranch trucks..and haul way more than we should (🤷‍♂️)
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

· Registered
'22 Code Orange
168 Posts
I have a '22 F450 as the current tow rig - turning radius is tighter than the Lightning that we had. The bigger brakes feel like brembos compared to my previous trucks (F350, Ram 2500) and wife's F250. Ride is a bit harsh - the 19.5" commercial tires have super stiff sidewalls. That is the only negative over the F350. It tows down the road with authority! Does not really cost much more either. You do need to watch your state's registration and licensing with DOT towing limits with bigger trailers (over 26k GCVW). But the F350 dually has that DOT caveat as well.

As for gearing, the 4:30's with 19.5's is almost identical to the F350's 4.10's with 17's. These motors are so smooth, it is not stressful to run down the road at 2k rpm on faster hwys.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want the long bed because 4x race tires/wheels when new do not fit in my short bed lying flat under the cover.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want the single rear wheel due to the harsher ride of the dually.

· Registered
6,417 Posts
I want the long bed because 4x race tires/wheels when new do not fit in my short bed lying flat under the cover.
Keep in mind your F150 short bed is 5.5, but the SD is going to be 6'7".

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: GT500 The Mistress

· Premium Member
9,639 Posts
I want the single rear wheel due to the harsher ride of the dually.
I asked my neighbor who tows big RVs what was most important to him, his response was get a DUALLY and a DIESEL. Fighting side winds and stability was his biggest concern. FYI.

....of course, my suggestion below ....
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Sky

:ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
No advice to offer Tim, but looking forward to seeing your new rig. I believe the advice everyone has given is very good though.

Happy shopping, hope you get a deal. I've never even seen a F350 Here, few F250's

If you don't mine me asking how much these F350's going for these days. Off topic, sorry

I am off to the track in a hour. ( Rented Clark speedway for the day) I won't have video or pictures this time, I'll be alone.

I have a question about your rear camera in the video you posted on the 909hp hellcat thread. I posted the question there. I also asked other questions.

Anyway got to get ready.

· Registered
2014 GT500
751 Posts
Tim, if it’s available on the Super Duty, the Pro Trailer Backup Assist is awesome!! I thought it was kind of a gimmick at first since I can actually back a trailer up by myself but after having it in my 2019 Platinum F150 I ordered it in my 2022 also.
You can go backwards as far as you want with very little input…..I backed up an entire city block by just tweaking the knob to keep the trailer straight.

· Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
498 Posts
I have a 2019 KR F350 LB with the 5th Wheel prep. I wanted the bigger fuel tank. Yes, its longer in parking spaces but worth it.
I put a below the rail tool box in, then my B&W 5th wheel hitch and a Backflip bed cover. I can open up the bed cover and hook up the 5th wheel.

No need for air bags, it tows my 38' toy hauler RV with no sag.

I had a 2011 F250 Lariat SB previously and I wished I had a bigger bed and fuel tank.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

· Registered
2020 GT500 , 2015 50th GT Conv.,39 Caddy Cp, 67 Caddy conv, 67 Vette roadster 2021 Bronco WLD TRK..
379 Posts

So far, my wish list is:

F350 SRW
Crew cab
8’ box
Spray in bed liner
Retractable bed cover
Gooseneck hitch
We have a 250.. We tow a 40' toy hauler with a car inside and don't even know you are towing (goose neck).
The 350 has a much harder ride than the 250 with not that much extra to offer.
You should install some Firestone air bags to help level it (on either the 250 or 350).
We were able to order a Limited on the first day the order banks opened. Ford is only building XL, XLT and Larriat in the first three months. The Limited, Platinum and King Ranch are supposed to start in March.
They had 50,000 orders place the first week and over 150,000 before the end of 22.
Here goes the wait again.
Lou

1 - 20 of 70 Posts