Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bring this up after considering all the posts about the 2020 GT500 with the CF wheels (especially after seeing the pics of the white one that was posted a few days ago that was totaled) wondering if any of you are considering there might be a need for a second policy to address the exorbitant prices FORD is demanding for your wheels. I'm of the opinion that we insure our cars, and as long as we do, why should I need a second policy to cover the wheels (be it the stock ones or even aftermarket ones)?

If I have already asked this before, (my apologies for the repeat of the question and spacing off the responses) but a post I read yesterday about the guy who totaled his 2020 GT500 got me to wondering if it is something I probably need to do.

Previously to getting my GT500, my Mustang GT got hit directly on the right rear Alcoa wheel. The wheel was absolutely ruined and needed to be replaced among some of the other damage to the car. The other drivers Insurance co balked and threw a hissy fit because I told them I wouldn't allow them to 'repair' the wheel since due to the finish that was applied during its manufacturing, it would never be like it was before. So anything involving any repair (they wanted to powder coat it after it was physically repaired), would create more maintenance for me as far as cleaning, it wouldn't match the other 3, etc...yada yada yada.

I decided to call my insurance company a week or two after the accident looking for advice. I was curious how I should deal with the adjuster from Farmers Insurance who was an a$$hole deluxe and was continually refusing any and all of my assertions, that the wheel could never be returned to its 'state' prior to the accident due to the DuraBrite coating applied to the Alcoa's during production. I explained the coating could not be imitated nor reproduced in any way, and how repairing the wheel wasn't a valid option, and it would be replaced. All this despite not only telling him, but providing him with links showing this was in no uncertain terms, completely true.

Ultimately, at the end of the discussion with my agent, he causally remarded that if my wheels (since they are out of production and are now going for serious money based on who has what left and how much someone is willing to spend to get them) are ultimately that expensive, maybe I ought to get a separate policy for them in addition to the one I already have for the car. This was based on me telling him that the typical cost of a set of wheels (due to it being practically impossible to find a single wheel anywhere for sale, much less one that matched the writing of the remaining wheels) was anywhere from $3000-$6000.

When all was said and done, I was awarded enough money to buy a full replacement set I had found on the net and linked them to to confirm the going rate at the time (since no single ones could be found) as long as I handed over the remaining wheels that were on the car at the time of the accident. After further discussion we agreed that they would deduct $1000 from the cost of the set I had located ($5500 brand new, never mounted and still in the box) which would allowed me keep the remaining three I already owned. Ironically, six months or so later, I did find one that exactly matched my original set locally. I waited for an additional few months since his ebay price was so high (initially he was asking well over $1500) until he lowered it enough for me to consider it 'reasonable'. So by finally getting that other wheel, it allowed me to have an additional full staggered set of wheels, in case any catastrophic damage befalls any other wheel.

Also, of some note.....I took the damaged wheel to a place local to me where it was repaired physically and was suppose to be sent off afterwards to be powder coated. While I had every reason to demand they wouldnt power coat a wheel that would be on the car, I had no problem with being able to use it as a 'spare' that I'd keep in the car in case I got a flat. After not hearing from the shop for a 2-3 weeks, I tried calling them but the phone was never answered. I decided to drive over and talk to the owner, and found the doors locked and the wheel repair shop completely empty. I ended up calling the shop that I took my car to for repairs and he said the rumor was the Fed's seized the shop and everything in it because the owner hadn't been paying his taxes. So THAT wheel was seized among all the other things there during that time and is literally gone forever.

So (my apologies for what was suppose to be a short post), for all of us who have either aftermarket wheels or you guys driving the new 2020 GT500's, how are you dealing with the above issue? Don't believe it's an issue so no intention of addressing anything? I've never created an additional policy, but had been quite surprised when it was mentioned during the conversation. My agent was a decent guy, but we ended up changing from that insurance agency to USAA not long thereafter for unrelated issues so I never followed up with him why he felt it was necessary. That being said, even if I don't agree with it, if somehow another wheel or set is messed up due to an accident, I certainly would like to avoid going round and round with my or any insurance company yet again. So I find myself curious as to how others see the issue.

Of course, none of us might agree with needing a second policy, but what might be BS to us may in fact be a reality despite not agreeing with the need for one.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
I typically find that the supplemental policies are cost prohibitive (never looked specifically for wheels). I think you're better off where you ended up with a 2nd set rather than paying every 6 months for something that might never happen.

I don't think I'd personally keep a 2nd set just for the space they take up. If something happens, I'd just use it as an excuse to order something custom from Forgeline or HRE.

Reactions: Andretti

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always been on the fence about it, so that was why I posted it.

I'd also agree that keeping an extra set of wheels definite seems a bit overkill. I only did so in this case since I just really believe that for the S197 body style, this wheels by far look the best IMO and ended up happening out due to the way the insurance issues played out.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd ever consider having a different set on it after having these, thought I did have a set of Shelby Razors prior to the Alcoa's on my GT. If I ever move up to a newer model GT500 by selling my current one, the wheels would likely go with the car (along with the stock set I removed the day I got it).

For some reason I'm unable to explain, I just think the Alcoa's really go with this particular skinned mustang. /shrug

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,320 Posts
Legit concern and question Bryan. Like Tom eluded to though, I’m not sure you’ll find an insurance plan with acceptable terms though. I also think it’s a little different scenario insuring Alcoas, which are an aftermarket wheel that are no longer in production versus an OEM wheel currently coming on the latest Mustang. The carbon fiber wheels are no doubt expensive. I believe they retail for $6500ish each. I did get a Ford insurance plan on my wheels that was only available prior to taking delivery of the car. My “Plan-C” is a second set of wheels.

I talk about the insurance plan at 22:26 here:

Plan-C:

Reactions: msirach

·
Registered
2014 GT500 PP
536 Posts
I'm not an insurance expert but I don't see how they could complain about replacing a damaged OEM rim. They insured the vehicle and that is what it came with. Now, your Alcoas were an aftermarket item. Same as a stereo system, restomod Mustang or a truck with a lift kit and rims. You get a stated value policy to cover the value you put on the vehicle and pay the premium accordingly. Or, a rider on the policy to cover the aftermarket items.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert
44 Posts
Great video Tim. It was great to hear your first hand experience through the whole process.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,320 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts