Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance on exhausts, but through many different sites I'm still confused on what exhaust I should consider buying. I want the nice throaty sound, loud enough that turns heads but not crazy loud that I can't hold a conversation, and with reduced dreaded drone. I'm looking for the expertise and knowledge of the fellow members on this site so any info, website, or suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Check out the forum of pictures and vids and you will see a youtube video of the Ford Performance exhaust. Allot of members have that exhaust myself included... it rocks...I have had 4 Gt mustangs and one cobra in my day and of course have played with all of them and had many different exhausts I love flowmaster but not on the Shelby, I really like what I have and searching many different websites have heard allot of them but this is the one I love the best... would not change it for the world. Exhaust sound is a personal thing and EVERYONE has their version of what they like or want...the best you can do is search the internet for all the different exhaust sounds clips on the shleby and than pick the one you like best.

Here is a start:
http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php?catid=3

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out the forum of pictures and vids and you will see a youtube video of the Ford Performance exhaust. Allot of members have that exhaust myself included... it rocks...I have had 4 Gt mustangs and one cobra in my day and of course have played with all of them and had many different exhausts I love flowmaster but not on the Shelby, I really like what I have and searching many different websites have heard allot of them but this is the one I love the best... would not change it for the world. Exhaust sound is a personal thing and EVERYONE has their version of what they like or want...the best you can do is search the internet for all the different exhaust sounds clips on the shleby and than pick the one you like best.

Here is a start:
http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php?catid=3
Perfect site...exactly what I was looking for....thanks Busababy!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
busababy, did you ever have a magnaflow on any of your cars? My '03 has a Magnaflow catback and I love the way it sounds. I like the Ford Racing setup and want to go that route, but wondering if it is louder than the maggies or drones more (if at all)? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I have used Magnaflow on one of the stangs, it did not have the deep throaty sound like a flowmaster BUT it also did not have that little kackel when you left off the exhaust I would give the magnaflow a thumbs up for exhaust but still would pick the Ford Performance (aka steeda)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe I am getting too old, but I could not deal with the Steeda drone at 1800-2200 rpm and ended up taking it off my GT500. I dropped the extra dollars for the Corsa and am happy now. Only barks when you step on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I am getting too old, but I could not deal with the Steeda drone at 1800-2200 rpm and ended up taking it off my GT500. I dropped the extra dollars for the Corsa and am happy now. Only barks when you step on it.
Anyone have an input on Bassani?? A bit more expensive, but does it deliver?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Drone is what worries me...I think I will just have to find some modified GT500 owners that will let me listen first hand. Websites and videos give you a great feel for the note, but not the overall sound levels. I would characterize the Magnaflow in the same way Florida Chris did the Corsa....Only barks when you step on it. Ideally, I would like it to sound stock for the 0-2K rpm range, but louder as I stomp on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have read every post I can find on the drone issue and the one setup that nobody has said has drone is the Corsa. If I were going to change from stock, Corsa would be my choice. Anyone know who has the best price?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Bassani has a good sound to it on 03-04 Cobra's not sure what it sounds like on the GT500. With the Steeda (aka ford performance) there is a drone at the 1800 - 2200 something rpm. I found those RPM's are only in 6 gear normally around highway speeds which if your taking a trip than that is the rpm you will be at a major part of the time. For those that think the Shelby is fine peformance wise the way it is than the drone could be an issue for you...than maybe the Ford Peformance exhaust is not the right choice. If you do go with the Ford exhaust the fix will cost you including parts from $ 450.00 to $ 525.00.. what is the fix...GET rid of the airplane gears that were put in the car. We didn't get from the factory 3.55 -3.73 just to ease up on the fee for the gas guzzle tax. The car is no honda civic when it comes to fuel economy but I don't care...I didn't buy it for that... I have a 03 focus for fuel economy :). Those gears were a compromise to try and give us the best of both worlds economy and performance but like most things in life when you try to have something be dual function it is normally not great at either one. If you change your gears out to 3.73 or 4.10 than at crusing speeds your rpms will be above the 1800-2200 zone and away goes the drone. Am I saying the fix is to change gears to use the Ford exhaust NO. (Another good reason to get rid of the gears) But changing the gears (beside a little worst gas mileage) will wake this car up and allow you to get into the powerband sooner, use all your gears more often (where mine sixth is almost a waste) and moving a heavy car gears does it better. Which is why on the Ford Lightings you got I think 4.11 gears from the factory someone correct me but I think that was the gear Ford choose. On trucks no gas guzzle tax so Ford didn't care about that they wanted a quick pickup truck...and it was.
Sorry got off the subject about the drone... but wanted to let everyone know if your going to change gears that the drone would go away with the Ford exhaust...

Probally the best thing to do like a member said is listen in person that way you know for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have read every post I can find on the drone issue and the one setup that nobody has said has drone is the Corsa. If I were going to change from stock, Corsa would be my choice. Anyone know who has the best price?
I bought mine from LMPerformance, here's a link:

http://www.lmperformance.com/6700/73.html

At $580 it is not cheap, but shipping is free. I have heard it can be found for $20 or so cheaper, but I don't know where.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Here's a vid of a GT500 with stock exhaust vs. one with Bassanis. The Bassanis have a lower growl, but they don't seem to be a whole lot louder than stock.

Stock exhaust vs Bassani

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Here's another, better quality FRPP video. After seeing this one, I may have changed my mind about going with the Bassanis. The FRPPs sound really mean!

FRPP Exhaust Vid

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dynamat to remove drone and you wont have to sacrafuce performance for comfort. Dynamat FTW!

·
Registered
45 Posts
P.S. Video and sound recordings of Diff. exhausts will not be a good indicatior as to the sound of the system unless all recordings set a control as to the type of microphone used to record, environment recorded in etc. the best thing to do is go to a meet and hear them in person. my 2 cents...

·
Registered
257 Posts
P.S. Video and sound recordings of Diff. exhausts will not be a good indicatior as to the sound of the system unless all recordings set a control as to the type of microphone used to record, environment recorded in etc. the best thing to do is go to a meet and hear them in person. my 2 cents...
I would agree w/this...anyone buying an aftermkt. exhaust based on the sound from a video/sound clip is taking a big chance that once installed, they will not like the sound based on variations in all the things that X STI C speaks of...someone kinda sorta said in an earlier post that this is one of those things that doesn't have to change very much for a person to go from liking it, to hating it...might even be worth it to beg for a test ride to get a feel for interior noise...:)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I would agree w/this...anyone buying an aftermkt. exhaust based on the sound from a video/sound clip is taking a big chance that once installed, they will not like the sound based on variations in all the things that X STI C speaks of...someone kinda sorta said in an earlier post that this is one of those things that doesn't have to change very much for a person to go from liking it, to hating it...:)

Yes Shelbywise you are showing your true color again.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
That would be White w/Blue...its fastest you know...Our Cooper S is red, not nearly as fast, even with a S/C...:p

Nice car none the less.A buddy of mine has one,he loves it,goes all over the country with it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts