Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,747 Posts
Next time you’re near the car with your phone snap a pic under the the rear.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Wood

As you can see, mine have Ford, Ford Performance AND Borla stamped into the mufflers.

Reactions: msirach and Goose17

· Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
7,228 Posts
I recently bought my first Shelby 2013 gt500 with 4k miles and couldn't help but notice the annoying drone around 75mph. I thought this car was stock but now second guessing because I also found a sct tuner with a headers CEL tune.
I know my father's 2022 Shelby has no drone at all.
Is this normal for a stock 2013 gt500?
Maybe get back with the seller & ask more questions, there's a lot that's not stock, besides the wheels & axle-backs.
As you found an SCT, you need to find out who's tune is on the car.
The rocker stripes are not OEM, which could explain the front seats, which are the default on a stripe delete build.
How about a pic of the engine ??

· Registered
2013 GT500 candy red white stripes
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Maybe get back with the seller & ask more questions, there's a lot that's not stock, besides the wheels & axle-backs.
The rocker stripes are not OEM, which could explain the front seats, which are the default on a stripe delete build.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Hood Vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Cloud Bumper Sky Gas Automotive exterior

I found no writing on the muffler and Mecum where I got the car won't put me in contact with the previous owner. The person sold there whole collection so I doubt they want to hear from anyone.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Font Material property Rectangle Handwriting Parallel

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

The rocker stipe is OEM I think this one was special order

· Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,747 Posts
Engine bay “looks” stock except the battery. I would get yourself a passenger side oil catch can. As @Cobra4me confirmed, the axle back is aftermarket. I would start there after confirming if the rest of the exhaust is factory. Easiest way to do that is get it up in the air.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Engine bay “looks” stock except the battery. I would get yourself a passenger side oil catch can. As @Cobra4me confirmed, the axle back is aftermarket. I would start there after confirming if the rest of the exhaust is factory. Easiest way to do that is get it up in the air.
I just installed passenger and driver side catch cans like 2min ago lol
I will get in the air probably this weekend and report back.

· #1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
12,147 Posts
I just installed passenger and driver side catch cans like 2min ago lol
I will get in the air probably this weekend and report back.
The driver's side catch can is pretty useless, gathers little or no oil. Can you return it? Most of us never installed one because all of us found it was decoration only! Can you order factory mufflers from your local dealership? I loved the stock exhaust sound as it was perfect for my needs.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The driver's side catch can is pretty useless, gathers little or no oil. Can you return it? Most of us never installed one because all of us found it was decoration only! Can you order factory mufflers from your local dealership? I loved the stock exhaust sound as it was perfect for my needs.
I plan on tracking the car so I figured better safe with 2 instead of just the one. I can probably find some stock mufflers just so I can really see the difference.
Do you know if these cars come xpiped factory I do remember seeing that the last time I was underneath and thought it strange since my last car was a 2013 mustang GT and it was Hpiped

· Registered
2013 GT500
261 Posts
I plan on tracking the car so I figured better safe with 2 instead of just the one. I can probably find some stock mufflers just so I can really see the difference.
Do you know if these cars come xpiped factory I do remember seeing that the last time I was underneath and thought it strange since my last car was a 2013 mustang GT and it was Hpiped
Yep should be an h from the factory. If it has headers there will be a flanges where they meet kindve parallel to the bottom of the car. If not then the midsection pipe will angle upward towards the stock/shorty location with no flange until it gets up there

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yep should be an h from the factory. If it has headers there will be a flanges where they meet kindve parallel to the bottom of the car. If not then the midsection pipe will angle upward towards the stock/shorty location with no flange until it gets up there
So stock should look like this?
Road surface Automotive exhaust Asphalt Gas Auto part

And off memory this looks like what I have
Human body Gesture Font Art Elbow

So if that's the case with a proper tune I should be able to gain some serious ponies?

· Registered
2013 GT500
261 Posts
So stock should look like this? View attachment 261760
And off memory this looks like what I have View attachment 261761
So if that's the case with a proper tune I should be able to gain some serious ponies?
Nice that’s a badass exhaust you got then. You could pick up some power if the tune isn’t right but it sounds like the car is already tuned for headers and not having cats which is probably where I would keep it. Maybe have a tuner put the car on the dyno with a wideband and make sure the tune is safe, if it is then no sense getting an updated tune especially since the newer software will not be able to turn off your CEL. Your current tune was written before the EPA did a massive crackdown so no more of that. Also the drone is probably from what looks like a magnaflow type muffler. If you switch to Corsa sports or can find borla touring those would be not too loud with your current setup and not drone.

Reactions: AZ21GT500

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice that’s a badass exhaust you got then. You could pick up some power if the tune isn’t right but it sounds like the car is already tuned for headers and not having cats which is probably where I would keep it. Maybe have a tuner put the car on the dyno with a wideband and make sure the tune is safe, if it is then no sense getting an updated tune especially since the newer software will not be able to turn off your CEL. Your current tune was written before the EPA did a massive crackdown so no more of that. Also the drone is probably from what looks like a magnaflow type muffler. If you switch to Corsa sports or can find borla touring those would be not too loud with your current setup and not drone.
So backing up. the reason I had to get under the car was to replace bank2 sensor 1 O2 sensor the CEL was on when I bought it. And when I checked with the sct scanner it says it was returned to stock but there is a tune for "headers CEL delete" and I didn't add the tune. My guess it has high flow cats. Because I've had no more CEL since replacement of the sensor.
I'm definitely going to look for a tuner hopefully around north east Florida.

· Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
10,594 Posts
I have headers with no cats on my 2012. While my car does not have dual exhaust tips, I never had drone with the stock muffler, or Borla's Touring muffler. I'm thinking finding a pair of stock mufflers should get rid of the drone. If not, a pair of resonators after the mid pipe should finish the job. My car is currently configured with Borla Tourings and two bullet resonators. Without the resonators it's a bit too loud for me.

· Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
7,228 Posts
These OEM exhaust parts are off MY 2011.

Based on your window sticker, your car is a stripe delete.................( OEM rocker stripe )

Some high flow cats throw codes, back in the day, tuners used to turn off the 02's

· Registered
2013 GT500
261 Posts
Might be worth getting it tuned then. See if a local shop has anyone that knows these cars well. Otherwise it’s going to be hard to remote tune not knowing exactly what’s done to it mod wise

21 - 38 of 38 Posts