·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah- I might have to agree with you. :shrug03:

I have the Borla Stingers. They sound killer!! I have Kooks Headers on order with some High Flo Cats which really make them scream...

Good Luck with the exhaust. When I had my 05 GT I went through three exhaust until I found the ones I liked.

Jay

·
Registered
246 Posts
The Borla Touring/FRPP SVT-1 mufflers are really quiet all around.

They only sound "ok" on a stock car when you're getting on it in the upper RPM range. Just revving down low like this video does not do them justice though. Get into boost up around 3k RPM and they come into the right tone/volume and proper Mustang exhaust note. Admittedly, down low just driving around they don't sound too hot outside.

They also work really well with long tubes. Otherwise, I'd definitely search greener pastures.

If you still want something "quiet" like the SVT-1/Borla Touring; but with some actual sweetness/note down low and cruising; go with the FRPP GTA's. 3.5" double walled tips and they have a nice purr with a reasonable volume, hollow growl outside.

Shot me a PM with your email if interested. I have sound clips of MacBoom Tubes; FRPP SVT-1's; and OEM Bullitt's/FRPP GTB's; and FRPP GTA's...have in car clips of the GTA's as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So Are You Saying This Exhaust Is No Good??? Im Kinda In The Market For A Better Sounding System As Mine Is Still Stock. Im Not Sure What I Should Get Tho, Heard The Kr Type Is Good....what About Anything From Magnaflow Corsa Or Slp? N E Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
IMHO, nothing sounds better than an H-pipe exhaust on a Mustang.

Yes the X-pipe does produce more hp (~5 varies per application) but it does not
have that sound that most people desire.

It's been discussed before that the KR's have H-pipes and a deeper, smoother sound.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Are You Saying This Exhaust Is No Good??? Im Kinda In The Market For A Better Sounding System As Mine Is Still Stock. Im Not Sure What I Should Get Tho, Heard The Kr Type Is Good....what About Anything From Magnaflow Corsa Or Slp? N E Ideas?

yes, I am very disappointed with this system. It has drone at ~1600-1900 rpm, but doesnt even have any muscular tones. Its pretty quiet.

If you are looking for something loud, I have been looking around and the following seem like good throaty loud systems:

KR mufflers, Corse axle backs, Borla stingers (maybe), SLP loudmouths (if you want something super loud).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had Corsa systems on my Corvettes, and they have 0 drone, but have a tendency to sound more exotic and higher pitched. That's how the eliminate the low end I suppose by raising the pitch. That's just axle back however. Once you tamper with cats or headers, it's a free for all.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sounds a little deeper, but I agree... not much different than stock. I've heard good reviews with the Corsa Extreme axle-backs (deeper than the Sport) and the Roush 427 cat-backs.

·
Registered
867 Posts
What is up with the capitalization of every word there Brotato.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Ford Racing has a version of the Stingers. They are actually made for the Mustang GT with manual trans. The autos were quieter.

Stingers drone (so do the FRPP version). I have them. The drone is exactly where yours are. A nice set of 3.73 gears solves that problem because it puts your cruise speed just over 2,000 rpm. You'll appreciate the change in the gears and you'll get the same mpg.

There are some that don't drone. They don't sound as mean though. None of them add HP.

bj

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
The FRPP SGT is baffled for the GT500. They have a buzzing drone that is RIDICULOUS at part throttle speeds from 4th gear up.

FRPP 5GT lacks the baffles, but drones about the same.

FRPP GTA's are what the SVT-1's should have sounded like.

MacBoom Tubes are a nice replacement the Stingers/SGT systems. Volume outside, volume inside, but without the killer drone. They're not quite as "deep" but have a really sweet sound.

The Bassani "Street" full-sized can mufflers DO NOT fit the '500 due to the valance. If you trim the valance, they'll fit.

The Bassani "Race" mufflers fit just fine. I'll have clips of them sometime soon if the rain will stop...

Running an H pipe (like the one from Powerhouse) will make the exhaust deeper; but more 'poppy'. Ford basically copied the Bassani style clamshell "X" that isn't really an x or an h; it's more of an x'd-h design and drones like a mofo.

The KR Mufflers are deeper with the H; but also a LOT more poppy on decel. They're ok with the stock X and sweeten up and get a higher exotic pitch 'rippy' sound with a real X (like SLP or Magnaflow).

X's also usually kill drone and lower the dB level compared to an H.

·
Registered
42 Posts
does anybody have a clip of a gt500 with no mufflers? i.e the slp "loudmouth"...... i think magnaflow might make one as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anybody have a clip of a gt500 with no mufflers? i.e the slp "loudmouth"...... i think magnaflow might make one as well.

The muffler deletes seem like a good route to go, Im just worried they will be TOO loud and get annoying after a while....I also want a deep rumble too and I dont know what slp LM sound like in person. This guy made a good video though...youtube has a bunch more

·
Registered
24 Posts
The stock system in the video sound's alot better than the Borla, which is sad because you would think Borla would have made a better sounding kit than factory. That's usually the point when upgrading an exhaust, you want more grunt plain and simple. Apparently Borla missed that concept because every car i've ever heard with a Borla kit is so quiet. You should just sell the Borla system and move on. I've never liked the sound of any Borla product.

Kooks actually makes a nice sounding catback for GT500, they sounded sweet on a GT500 I seen at a car show.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The stock system in the video sound's alot better than the Borla, which is sad because you would think Borla would have made a better sounding kit than factory. That's usually the point when upgrading an exhaust, you want more grunt plain and simple. Apparently Borla missed that concept because every car i've ever heard with a Borla kit is so quiet. You should just sell the Borla system and move on. I've never liked the sound of any Borla product.

Kooks actually makes a nice sounding catback for GT500, they sounded sweet on a GT500 I seen at a car show.
Not Borla Stingers (also Ford Racing Stingers)! They have a nice tone. I can't wait to hear them as soon as I get my Kook Headers/X-Pipe on...aaah Yeah!!

Jay

·
Registered
42 Posts
i think if you go to the nino sport website you can listen to the exhaust sounds of most of the ones they have for sale. sadly i doesnt specify whether or not its the 4.6 or 5.4, also doesnt say if its with stock manifold or aftermarket. you can still get an idea though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
haha i like the way that guy casually walks up starts his engine revs it a few times then casually walks away..... looks funny to me for some reason. that didnt sound to bad, it almost sounded like the slp's i had on my 04 gt with a full exhaust setup including Lt's. i was leaning toward those slp's more so for the price, but hearing this i think it might be a decent investment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
just ordered the slp lm's from american muscle and threw in a lil shorty antenna also, i read some reviews up there....there were like 74 or 47....something like that but anyways not a bad review at all out of the ones that i read. a couple people said there is 0 drone, we will see about that. ill post a video maybe even a drive by for those interested in getting them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts