Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed the stage 2 kit last week, the steeda pulley installer that i purchased broke with the pulley 2mm from being all the way on, certainly a big pain in the a**, drove it to a local ford dealer and they finished it off for me.
Seat of the pants results are very disapointing, the car seems less responsive than stock, however up in the higher RPM range it has certainly got more power, not sure if there is something wrong , I have set the programmer with all the spark advances in the positives and as lean as it goes, after trying the complete opposite and finding no differences. running at 91 octane.
could my belt be slipping? in high gear cruising on the highway i floor it and only get just a shade over 10lbs of boost, gear down a couple gears bring the rpms up and the boost is up around 12-13
any thoughts? on this?
BTW I added a 180 degree thermostat as well.
TIA
D

·
Registered
412 Posts
If your belt is not slipping with the 2.6 pulley, maybe you need to carried the car and have it tuned to get the full effect. Did you run stage 1 before you put the pulley on it-if so what was your result?

Did you install an aftermarket heat exchanger?

I am running just the stage 1 and it is running great with no fine tunning. In the next few days, me and a friend are going to install the pulley and HE purchased from evolution. After reading your post, I am concerned now but will be cautious. If I have trouble like you, I will take the pulley off and have a shop re-installed it and tune it.

I hope you figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Seat of the pants results are very disapointing,... ..., I have set the programmer with all the spark advances in the positives and as lean as it goes, after trying the complete opposite and finding no differences. running at 91 octane.
could my belt be slipping? ...any thoughts? on this?
BTW I added a 180 degree thermostat as well.
TIA
D
From the way your post reads, it sounds like your "tune" may be slipping. You prob need a good tune from Evo or VMP. :pimp:

How did your puller break? Which part?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
As above, you should be getting sideways easily with stage II, so you have a tune problem or something is not installed right. My result was immediate and the car wanted to break loose up to 3rd gear.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
From the way your post reads, it sounds like your "tune" may be slipping. You prob need a good tune from Evo or VMP. :pimp:
+1

You shouldn't need to bump all the advances and lean it out to get power. That's a recipe for major detonation and a heavy repair bill in my book.

Have a competent tuner do his work with the help and direction of a dyno and real-time A/F readings.

Anything else is trouble IMO.

-

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

How did your puller break? Which part?
the tune is from EVO, however the SCT tuner has those adjustable options

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
The handheld tuner is a far different animal than the actual programming software.Yes you can adjust several things-Enough to cause problems.An SCT dealer can adjust 100+ parameters and see the effect of those adjustments.The first tune I got from Evo gave the car enough to spin 1st 2nd and halfway through 3rd,But only dynoed at 510rwhp.As an example with the additional mods since then and power in the 570s I spin less now than I did then-Adjusted with SCT on a dyno then loaded into the programmer.I hope you understand what I am trying to get across.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same thing (Evo StageII+) -car was less responsive, and power showed only at high RPM WOT.

Now it's responsive all the way! How? Two words: JON LUND.
That's the man to resolve your problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the tune is from EVO, however the SCT tuner has those adjustable options
I've posted this before, but will post again.

I also purchased the Evolution Stage II kit, with the tune. My car also didn't feel like it had the same kick in the pants as it did stock, BUT it did feel quicker and faster in a smoother way.

The tune you recieved from Evolution is a "canned" tune...meaning it is probably a little rich, but definitely safe. The tuner I took my Evo stage II kit to, to put on, said there was about 30 more safe rwhp to be had. My tune was on the rich side. At that time I did not want to pay $250 or more to have the car re-tuned, so I left Evo's tune on there. It is safe and the car is quicker and faster.

I dyno'd my car prior to the stage II kit install and my stock rwhp was 412 and rwt was 420. The stock numbers were a little low, when compared to most in the forums I've read. However, my car was dyno'd when it was hot...I had driven for 40 minutes and within 10 minutes of me arriving at the shop, the first dyno was ran. So maybe that is why the numbers are a little low. I can't say, because I don't know how Evo's cars are dyno'd...cold or hot.

The stage II kit was installed within 90 min or less and was immediately dyno'd again. The engine was still hot, but not quite as hot as when I pulled in. My after stage II install numbers were 509 rwhp and 520 rwt. This is a gain of 96 horses and 100 lbs of torque at the rear wheel. The Evo tune was for 93 octane. Note that I did not get the larger heat exchanger...but I do know my numbers are good on the street when my car is hot.

Again, low from most other results I've read in the forums. But then if I had let the local tuner re-tune, I would have expected to be around 539 rwhp and 560 rwt...according to the tuner. Those numbers would be when the engine was warm-hot, so those would be pretty good numbers in my opinion.

Evo posts up to 145 rwhp gains with their stage II kit. I only recieved a 97 rwhp gain...which is about 2/3 of the posted possible gain. I was dissapointed at the increase, so I called Evo. I got hammered with a bunch of questions, i.e. type dyno, tire pressure, where the rear tires were on the roller and several others. In short I was told that they could not tell me why my numbers were so low. They just seemed to want to get me off the phone. I then sent an e-mail, but never received a response. Of course when I was interested in purchasing something, they were all ears and very helpful.

Now that I've complained...you still have a problem. Your car needs to be fine tuned for your vehicle. This is going to cost you more money.

1) You'll need to get your dyno results to Evo or Jon Lund (I've not heard anything bad about this guy) and/or some data logging. They will then attempt to refine the tune specifically to your car. IF Evo will do that for free, then you've saved "some" money. If you go w/Jon Lund, (and maybe Evo too), you'll have to pay additional money for the tune. It would be a shame for Evo to charge you since you already paid them $400 for a tune.

2) Then you'll have to apply the new tune AND dyno again...so you know your tune is safe. So you'll have to pay for dyno time.

3) If the second tune is not the best, then you'll have to go through the process again, which will cost more.

I suggest, IF you have a good local tuner, take it to him and have him tune it specifically to your car and have it done right the first time. You'll have a well tuned car right after and won't have to worry about sending dyno results or data logging back and forth...and the wait in between.

Just my 2 cents.

Go to the bottom of this forum and look at the similar threads...it will give you more info on other people's results w/Evo's stage II kit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on the Evo stage 2 kit..
Played around with the tuner using the defaults on 91 octane after a couple reboots with the tune, it seems to be working AWESOME! dont know what was going on before but it was very unresponsive and boggy, now it just lights right up!
going to the track this weekend with MT's mounted.
mods now are as follows:
muffler deletes
stage 2 Evolution kit
Steeda driveshaft cage
305/40 MT ET streets
Need to tickle 11.5 seconds! rollbar territory
hopefully this can be acomplished with 3-5000ft of air

will post pics and results next week

D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Played around with the tuner using the defaults on 91 octane after a couple reboots with the tune, it seems to be working AWESOME! dont know what was going on before but it was very unresponsive and boggy, now it just lights right up!
mods now are as follows:
muffler deletes
stage 2 Evolution kit
Steeda driveshaft cage
305/40 MT ET streets

Glad to hear you got if fixed. I bet that car will go now. Good luck at the track and post your times.:bluecap:

D

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
mods now are as follows:
muffler deletes
stage 2 Evolution kit
Steeda driveshaft cage
305/40 MT ET streets

D
You're gonna need a cool day......no more than 1,500 ft density altitude and some launch skills to do that. And I'm talking sub- 1.50 60' skills.

With your rwhp you should be in the range of 116-118 mph at +/- 1500-2000 ft. If everything goes well.

Cars with a pulley swap, CAI and tune are running 121-122mph. That's good enough for low 11's....again, if you launch perfectly.

If you have stock gears (3.31), those 40 aspect ratio tires are gonna knock you down to about a 3.23. More top speed....less effective at launch.

My effective ratio with M/T 305/35/18s and 4.10 gears is 4.19. My MPH at about 2,000 ft DA is 121-122. I make 535rwhp. It'll clip off high 11's one right after the other (til it's heat soaked). But, that's all at 1.70+ 60' times. If the track is well prepped and the temp is right, those tires are easily capable of sub 1.50s....but you've gotta be on your game.

If you've never raced on those, they don't require much of a burnout. Just get in the box....do just enough to see a slight amount of smoke and let it go. Longer burnouts make these tires greasy.

As people have said, please post your times as well as DA on race day.

Thanks and good luck.

bj

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're gonna need a cool day......no more than 1,500 ft density altitude and some launch skills to do that. And I'm talking sub- 1.50 60' skills.

With your rwhp you should be in the range of 116-118 mph at +/- 1500-2000 ft. If everything goes well.

Cars with a pulley swap, CAI and tune are running 121-122mph. That's good enough for low 11's....again, if you launch perfectly.

If you have stock gears (3.31), those 40 aspect ratio tires are gonna knock you down to about a 3.23. More top speed....less effective at launch.

My effective ratio with M/T 305/35/18s and 4.10 gears is 4.19. My MPH at about 2,000 ft DA is 121-122. I make 535rwhp. It'll clip off high 11's one right after the other (til it's heat soaked). But, that's all at 1.70+ 60' times. If the track is well prepped and the temp is right, those tires are easily capable of sub 1.50s....but you've gotta be on your game.

If you've never raced on those, they don't require much of a burnout. Just get in the box....do just enough to see a slight amount of smoke and let it go. Longer burnouts make these tires greasy.

As people have said, please post your times as well as DA on race day.

Thanks and good luck.

bj
I do have a stage 2 Evolution kit, that is a 2.6" pulley CAI, colder plugs and a 93 octane tune, if I run the track and pull those MPH 116-118mph, Im selling it, lol
BONE STOCK i pulled a best of 114mph with street tires and 5000ft of air best time of 13.2...
with the stage 2 kit I sure hope I will be in the 120MPH no problem. guess we will find out NEXT friday, was rained out here last friday.
Im going to go with the stage 3 kit and add a throttle body, plenum, a lower pulley and 3:73 gears for next summer, that should for sure get me to the 11.5 range....
I will hopefully have some video and times next weekend.

Thanks 4 all the info guys n gals

D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts