Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
Discussion Starter #1
To all my fellow car enthusiasts who like debating which is the best engine oil. I ran across this channel which with a guy who compares oils in championship style test. The results were pretty shocking to me. Since its hard for me to get Castrol here in Cyprus, which I have been using in my car, I have decided to switch to Amsoil which prompted me to do some research. Amsoil is one of the 3 recommended oils for our Cars along with Motocraft and Castrol.

Amsoil seems to be the best against all oils tested, with Penzoil...yes..i said Penzoil rating second. Im so disappointed in Castrol...

Of course he does not perform lab analysis on the oils on 5000 mile use, but his tests still test viscosity (new and used /heated oil) and shear testing.
Im still posting because I find the results to be very interesting and informative. Perhaps they would have been different if he actually tested them in the same vehicle after putting the same amount of mileage for each one.

Im posting the final video, but you can see the full series on his channel.

#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
Pete, you know you have generated a thread that will go pandemic about what types of oil to use! 馃ぃ Hope you are healthy and doing well. Is Cyprus dealing with the same problems as other European countries?

Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
Good video Pete... thanks for sharing!

I am curious if you would see any difference in internal wear if you opened up engines at say 50k miles or even 100k miles when running any of these different oils for the life of the car. You can see differences in lab settings or torture testing, but I would be curious as to how that translates to normal use in these engines. Would the more expensive Amsoil have any obvious effects when examining internal components...? I don鈥檛 know the answer to this. Another variable would be oil change intervals... would someone change oil less often if they were using more expensive oil...?

I have used Castrol oil in my 2011 simply because I can get 5w-50 at my local auto parts store. I would never claim it is better than any other 5w-50, I just use it because of its convenience. I have been running my 2011 HARD for years and haven鈥檛 noticed any ill effects. I don鈥檛 think I鈥檒l change my formula.

Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
Discussion Starter #4
Pete, you know you have generated a thread that will go pandemic about what types of oil to use! 馃ぃ Hope you are healthy and doing well. Is Cyprus dealing with the same problems as other European countries?
Hahahha...Geezz..I hope not Mike...thats the last thing we need.

Cyprus has been in lock down following suit shortly after Italy did. Starting this week, they have began to lift some measure. Boarders are still closed, and they will be re-evaluating things at the end of May to lift more measures. Cyprus has had about 883 people infected and only 15 deaths. I guess one of the great things about living on an Island with 1 million population. At least we have started to feel a bit or normalcy again here.

I am curious if you would see any difference in internal wear if you opened up engines at say 50k miles or even 100k miles when running any of these different oils for the life of the car. You can see differences in lab settings or torture testing, but I would be curious as to how that translates to normal use in these engines. Would the more expensive Amsoil have any obvious effects when examining internal components...? I don鈥檛 know the answer to this. Another variable would be oil change intervals... would someone change oil less often if they were using more expensive oil...?

I have used Castrol oil in my 2011 simply because I can get 5w-50 at my local auto parts store. I would never claim it is better than any other 5w-50, I just use it because of its convenience. I have been running my 2011 HARD for years and haven鈥檛 noticed any ill effects. I don鈥檛 think I鈥檒l change my formula.
Tim, that is my biggest question as well. Many synthetic oils have alot of additives which this guy actually speaks about. I dont think his tests were 100% fair, as some additives my work better as oil ages in comparison to a 3 hour heat test. I think all synthetic oils can actually last longer than the recommended 5K recommended oil change regardless of price range...but no oil company is going to advertise that. For me personally, frequency of oil changes would not be affected by the price. I have been a Castrol user for the exact same reason you were. Problem for me now....there is no NapaAuto Parts in Cyprus for me to go pick some up..lol. Amsoil is more expensive than Castrol, but not so much more that it would make me change my oil less often.
In not a big advocate of any Brand, but the scientist in me found this video really interesting to watch.

#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350

My German friend, Lothar, enjoys a sterling reputation with many BMWNA experts and drivers up and down the whole east coast. Years ago he used to tune and rebuild BMW engines for the professional racers on the east coast. He's forgotten more about internal combustion engines than most of us will ever know. He has always told me that there is little or know negligible difference in the motor oils available for our cars today, especially the full synthetic oils. It's all marketing ploys. When you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for changing oil it really will have no significant negative result to a modern performance engine and most racers chose their oil based on their sponsors who give it to them for free! In other words, we all seem to overthink oil brands, and in truth, it probably will never result in an engine failure if we follow manufacturer's recommendations.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
My German friend, Lothar, enjoys a sterling reputation with many BMWNA experts and drivers up and down the whole east coast. Years ago he used to tune and rebuild BMW engines for the professional racers on the east coast. He's forgotten more about internal combustion engines than most of us will ever know. He has always told me that there is little or know negligible difference in the motor oils available for our cars today, especially the full synthetic oils. It's all marketing ploys. When you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for changing oil it really will have no significant negative result to a modern performance engine and most racers chose their oil based on their sponsors who give it to them for free! In other words, we all seem to overthink oil brands, and in truth, it probably will never result in an engine failure if we follow manufacturer's recommendations.
Good stuff Mike! This supports my speculation.

Reactions: BostonDave

Registered
Yep its always been Castrol for me, he confirmed the longevity deal and its more available. When it comes down to it, not much difference but in microns, LoL.

Super Moderator
Great thread! I've seen a couple of that guy's videos but I somehow missed he was doing a tournament. Mobil 1 got kicked out in the first round! :eek:

I always used Motorcraft in my 2011 when I had it. Made me feel better. Now there's a bit of truth/proof to that! But I have to agree w/ @03reptile -- today's synthetics are so good the margin between them has got to be extremely slim, i.e. negligible.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
This popped up on my iPad:

Reactions: Dr.AtsaL
1 - 12 of 12 Posts