Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my first oil change. Dealer tells me Specs say 6.5 quarts of oil. They inform me they put in 7 quarts and still shows a in the middle of the low and full marks. Anyone changed their own oil, if so how many quarts?

LLOyd

·
Registered
645 Posts
My oils has been changed 5 times. Each time it took 6.5 qts.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lloyd,

Sounds to me, like they can't count and put in 6 and still owe you half a quart.

I'd be a little suspicious of these guys. :eek:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thing that popped into my mind was do a bottle count. Sounds good if the worst thing they did was short me half a quart i can handle it.

LLoyd

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Just had my first oil change. Dealer tells me Specs say 6.5 quarts of oil. They inform me they put in 7 quarts and still shows a in the middle of the low and full marks. Anyone changed their own oil, if so how many quarts?

LLOyd

Lloyd,
The dealer changed my oil the 1st time with me watching=6.5 qts
I changed it myself last week, on jack stands in the front, so it was at quite an angle=7.0 qts.It wasn't past the full line but it was right there.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
When I changed my oil, I put in a skosh under 7 qts and it was just under the full line.

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I changed my oil, I put in a skosh under 7 qts and it was just under the full line.
you are only the second person i've ever heard use the word "skosh". A college buddy of mine from Omaha, Nebraska used it and never heard the end of it!
He had a lot of different words.

Anyways, thanks for the laugh and memory flashback :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
you are only the second person i've ever heard use the word "skosh". A college buddy of mine from Omaha, Nebraska used it and never heard the end of it!
He had a lot of different words.

Anyways, thanks for the laugh and memory flashback :)
I'm glad I could brighten your day! :D

Skosh: From the Japanese word sukoshi, meaning a little bit or smidgen. :D

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I'm glad I could brighten your day! :D

Skosh: From the Japanese word sukoshi, meaning a little bit or smidgen. :D

And that's why you are the Prez.:D Fee5707 if you never heard that I bet I have a whole bag of words you never heard.;)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I always thought that was the raw fish that became so popular in the 90's.

I am a caveman . I like jumping in the fire.
LOL :D

Are you saying you are a troglodyte? :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gentleman

Found my Issue. I went with the aftermarket Shelby Caps for under the hood. The Oil dipstick piece was the problem, It wasn't going all the way in. It would hang up about 3/8" short. This would make the oil appear low. The billet piece was .003 bigger than the plastic piece.
For now i went back to stock. Lucky the dealer didn't fill to the full on the dipstick.

Something you might want to check if you purchased these shelby caps.

LLoyd

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Re: Engine oil capacity, Problem dipstick handle

trying to change orig subject line

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Gentleman

Found my Issue. I went with the aftermarket Shelby Caps for under the hood. The Oil dipstick piece was the problem, It wasn't going all the way in. It would hang up about 3/8" short. This would make the oil appear low. The billet piece was .003 bigger than the plastic piece.
For now i went back to stock. Lucky the dealer didn't fill to the full on the dipstick.

Something you might want to check if you purchased these shelby caps.

LLoyd
I had the same problem with my Scott Drake dipstick handle. I had to mill down the seal race so it would fit into the tube.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Scott Drake it was.

LLoyd
Between that and the power steering cap issue, I'm not impressed with their design tolerances. The caps look cool though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rpretzel

They do up the cool factor, You would think for the price the tolerences would be exact

LLoyd

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

Hi guys....just joinded the forum today.
I ordered a 2008 gt500 about a month ago and the dealer is telling me there is a material hold. Says the engines are hand built and they are way behind. Sounds like its going to take 5 months or more to get the car. Anyone else got a lead time on their new car?

Thanks, 208 shelby with white strips

·
Registered
485 Posts
2008shelbyvistablue,

Welcome to the forum.

If you look at my signature, it took 5 months from the time Ford received my order (receipt date) until delivery, so hang in there as 5 months goes by pretty fast. :D

Arbour88

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had to buy a Dipstick Tube (Don't Ask) and it reads high. The original dip stick was dead on, the new reads about a Quart high!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts