Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 PP-NAV-Recaro. 2008 Vert
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share what they have for a built bottom end? I'm freaking out, I have the mechanic i just need a block as long as nothing else is hurt. I have 10k maybe 12k. I want to be at 800 wheel safely.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,412 Posts
Can anyone share what they have for a built bottom end? I'm freaking out, I have the mechanic i just need a block as long as nothing else is hurt. I have 10k maybe 12k. I want to be at 800 wheel safely.
Moved your post here to our performance mods section.

Sorry to hear about the motor. What happened…? Missed shift, ran lean, what…? Is there a hole in the block?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My apologies I thought I had it in the right location.

Holes in the block. I'm thinking because I got intake temps too hot and intercooler pump failure codes last week that's a possibility.
I was data logging and temps looked OK so I turned off the laptop and started racing. Later that night i was letting off those lovely pops with my wotbox set at 3000rpm rolling in 2nd at 40 mph maybe. Seems odd because I have had the wotbox for 5k miles and last year let off way more aggressive pops at shows.
We looked at the road and it looked like I was dumping oil a block before I let of a 2step but who knows. 34k on her 613/632 wheel. Vmp tuned

Since my brother is a BMW master tech and he has a performance shop swapping over parts onto a shortblock will be easy. We play we pay. Maybe I was destined to have 800 wheel qnd the shortblock will be a blessing.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,412 Posts

Holes in the block. I'm thinking because I got intake temps too hot and intercooler pump failure codes last week that's a possibility.
I was data logging and temps looked OK so I turned off the laptop and started racing. Later that night i was letting off those lovely pops with my wotbox set at 3000rpm rolling in 2nd at 40 mph maybe. Seems odd because I have had the wotbox for 5k miles and last year let off way more aggressive pops at shows.
We looked at the road and it looked like I was dumping oil a block before I let of a 2step but who knows. 34k on her 613/632 wheel. Vmp tuned

Since my brother is a BMW master tech and he has a performance shop swapping over parts onto a shortblock will be easy. We play we pay. Maybe I was destined to have 800 wheel qnd the shortblock will be a blessing.
Thanks for the back story. Sorry about the engine. I haven’t built one, but others here have. Hopefully someone will give you solid advice.

I guess you won’t know what you will need until you tear into it. Not sure if any of your internals could be reused or not (I’m guessing not).

Reactions: Loudmouth_Racing

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,767 Posts
A new aluminum block is going to be 40% of your budget. If the block is windowed, it's toast. Chances are a rod turned loose and probably damaged the crankshaft as well. If you need heads too, you're budget may be blown. No reason you can't go 5.8. It doesn't cost any more. You need some good forged rods and forged pistons. If you go new block, there's no need for machine work for the short block.

·
Registered
618 Posts

Facial expression Gesture Event Pleased Electric blue

·
Registered
2013 GT500
118 Posts
This is why I am switching to e85 next week and never over rev. Sorry to hear op

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou everyone means alot. I was expecting ridicule.
Anyone have info if our we can flash a factory tune and nobody can tell? I do have the warranty i paid like 2500 for. I swear reading about justin at VMP saying this🤔
I always say if you play your going to pay. Luckily i also have an 08 Black GT500 with a steeda/tune/pully and cold air but stock suspension. So I'm not completely screwed.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
The WOT BOX wreaks havoc on the timing gears and chains. After seeing it first hand my during full build, I’ll never use the launch feature of the WOT Box again.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,808 Posts
The WOT BOX wreaks havoc on the timing gears and chains. After seeing it first hand my during full build, I’ll never use the launch feature of the WOT Box again.
Came here to say the same thing. These motors don't like to be bounced off of the rev-limiter like a VQ at a Lowe's parking lot car show. Very likely that your WOT Box antics caused you to jump time and your pistons and valves all became friends.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess bouncing at 3k isn't good, was thinking that it would only be an issue bouncing at high RPM. Live and learn. Pitting a deposit on a 1200hp rated shortblock today. A very reputable builder had one on a shelf someone had built qnd never came back for. Hello billet gears. Should be back to hooning very soon.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,808 Posts
I guess bouncing at 3k isn't good, was thinking that it would only be an issue bouncing at high RPM. Live and learn. Pitting a deposit on a 1200hp rated shortblock today. A very reputable builder had one on a shelf someone had built qnd never came back for. Hello billet gears. Should be back to hooning very soon.
Bouncing off the limiter at any rpm isn't good on these motors. Timing chains and tensioners just don't enjoy it, even with the best stuff out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a pro series shortblock from Livernois coming. I'm thinking of adding cams and long tubes with the 2.4 pully and boost a pump I already have. Should be good for 700wheel with the trinity swap/TJ 69mm I did. Luckily my bro is a BMW/Benz master tech that run a BMW performance shop so labor is nothing..
What else will I want to replace? Chains and tensioner, oil pump and billet gears. Am I forgetting anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got most of the parts for the new shortblock instal, been a long journey. Waited forever for my cometic head gaskets. What oil pump/billet gear should I get? I'm leaning OEM with a gear upgrade. This is my only hold up, I want to get it right. I can't afford another engine.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,767 Posts
I'm running MMR's Hurricane oil pump, which is a complete assembly, and I have no complaints. Triangle Speed Shop has a set of billet gears as well. Just a word of warning. The GT500 uses a 4.6 3V oil pump. It will be different from pumps speced for 4.6/5.4 4v engines, which are intended for Navigator and Ford GT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts