Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI-You have to actually drive the car to get the alt. to charge the battery.The batteries in the new Mustangs will last about 3 weeks while parked.The electrical systems on these cars are what we call on the network.While these cars are parked and turned off the network actually powers 7 modules,anti theft switches and the amps in the stereo.After 30 minutes the network goes into sleep mode but still powers all items mentioned.If you pop the trunk or open the door the network wakes up and stays awake for 30 minutes as long as nothing else is used in the car then goes back into sleep mode.The reason you hear sometimes to turn your radio off before you turn the car off is the ACM or audio module draws 4 amps and usually the most likely module to go bad.If the ACM goes bad it never goes into sleep mode and draws 4 continuous amps till the battery is dead,which doesn't take long.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
07 You said you have to DRIVE the car. When I put it away for the winter I still go over, start it, and let it run for about 15-20 mins. ( think they call it withdrawls) Is that enough or do I have to physically drive it?? Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
07 You said you have to DRIVE the car. When I put it away for the winter I still go over, start it, and let it run for about 15-20 mins. ( think they call it withdrawls) Is that enough or do I have to physically drive it?? Thanks Jim

No it won't do much for you except put a lot of moisture in your exhaust.If you store it in the winter it's best to take the battery out and do not store it on a concrete floor.

·
Registered
765 Posts
No it won't do much for you except put a lot of moisture in your exhaust.If you store it in the winter it's best to take the battery out and do not store it on a concrete floor.
What is the reason for not storing a car on a concrete floor? Just curious.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What is the reason for not storing a car on a concrete floor? Just curious.

put on jack stands so you don't get flat spots on our tires!

if you leave a battery tender on it it should be fine right?

JJ

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
put on jack stands so you don't get flat spots on our tires!

if you leave a battery tender on it it should be fine right?

JJ

I am kind of anal about that.I don't like to leave anything hooked up to the car that is plugged into 120 volts.What if the battery tender went bad?What would happen to your electrical system on your car if the garage got a power surge or hit by lightening?:confused: What if the battery tender shorted out and tripped the circuit breaker and the beer got cold cause the frig didn't work?:eek: It would be ok if it were the lawn mower but not the Shelby.I work with industrial electrical circuits and ac equipment and I have seen some bizarre things happen.I am not going to take the chance with my baby.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
:(

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not to show my ignorance but how does the charging system know whether the car is moving or just running
The reason i ask is in the northeast you don't want to take the car out in the winter. Removing the battery, what issues with the on the board computer.
Lloyd

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to show my ignorance but how does the charging system know whether the car is moving or just running
The reason i ask is in the northeast you don't want to take the car out in the winter. Removing the battery, what issues with the on the board computer.
Lloyd

It's not about weather it is moving or not,it's about running the alternator at higher RPM's for a longer period of time.It is not a real efficient alternator.
I live in the northeast also.I don't take my car out either.There are no drawbacks of taking the battery out except you will have to reset the clock/radio.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You poor Northerners!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
now that makes sense. I can understand inefficent alt at iidle.

So what is the general consenses take the battery out and not start the car for 5 months or periodically start the car.

what concerns me is the battery going dead in 3 weeks. A dead battery will freeze.

LLoyd

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now that makes sense. I can understand inefficent alt at iidle.

So what is the general consenses take the battery out and not start the car for 5 months or periodically start the car.

what concerns me is the battery going dead in 3 weeks. A dead battery will freeze.

LLoyd

Hence taking the battery out.It won't go dead if it's not hooked to the car.This is what I do,take the battery out,put it on the work bench put a trickle charger to it every couple of weeks.Mark my words,over the winter and in the spring time you will here a lot of people belly aching that their battery is dead and won't take a charge.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Like most northern Shelby's mine is already set on the jacks, battery out and cover on, Although yesterday when I went to pick up my girl downtown I did see a white Shelby with the blue stripes sitting in the cold rain, I think that I shed a tear inside.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Killer Garage with the blue flooring!

I've never believed that a cement floor drains batteries. I think its a bunch of BS. no current can flow through the plastic case. I'd love to see mythbusters tackle this one.

TD

·
Registered
164 Posts
Killer Garage with the blue flooring!

I've never believed that a cement floor drains batteries. I think its a bunch of BS. no current can flow through the plastic case. I'd love to see mythbusters tackle this one.

TD
I have always heard this, and used the No concrete approach. I @ some time in my life seen this presented as a challenge on some show. They used two batteries in conflicting issues and could prove no disadvantage to the battery on concrete versus the bench.

I still do not set my battery on concrete. 1 x 6 or 8 works great. mop.

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have always heard this, and used the No concrete approach. I @ some time in my life seen this presented as a challenge on some show. They used two batteries in conflicting issues and could prove no disadvantage to the battery on concrete versus the bench.

I still do not set my battery on concrete. 1 x 6 or 8 works great. mop.

ILLEGAL
Ditto!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts