Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help....my battery ran down as a result of parking lights being left on....jumped the car and it started.....however after wards the battery light and the "check charging system" message came on....turned the car on and off and still got the message....took the car to the dealer and they said it was the alternator....after waiting 10 days the alternator came in and they replaced it....I was called to pick up the car.......I got in the car started it and 15 -20 seconds later the battery light and charging system message came on....car is back in shop.....I don't believe they know what the problem is......has anyone else a similar experience with their Shelby (07 vert)....Thanks....

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Hudy,
A number of years ago I drove a fleet Crown Vic. There was a caution about jump-starting that car or using it to jump-start another car. I don't remember the particulars but page 20 of my '09 Mustang Owner's Manual cautions about disconnecting the disabled (GT500) car's battery as it could damage the vehicles electrical system.

Mention that to your repair people and it might point them in the right direction.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ive had my battery disconnected dozens of times with no issues.

theres a number of tests for them to do, but it could be one of the following
Generator
Fusible Link
Circuitry
PCM
Instrument Cluster

Any time you disconnect the battery terminal and reconnect, the computer has to relearn driving strategy. In some cases, driving a few miles will clear. Get a good sct tuner or purposeful scanner to help you further diagnose and faults you may have. It helps to know something before taking it in.

you should have gotten a ringing alarm if lights were still on when you got out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interesting. Thought the CAN-BUS in the car shuts down electrics after a designated period of time to avoid dead batteries. Was detailing interior last week and with doors open- interior lights were on. In a few minutes-didn't time it-all interior lights shut off. Was this just for '08 and later?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
My 09 does that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Always start at the battery. When you discharge a battery to where there is no juice left than it usually cooks the battery.
Since you jumped started the car the alternator had to work so hard that it burnt it out.
Alternators are not designed to charge the battery only to maintain it.
If you have a dead battery I recomend getting it charged up before driving the car.
You can buy a battery charger at Sears for about $50 it is a wise investment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts