Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Premium Member
Bah Humbug! 馃槺
I have to agree with Mike and others ... I don't care how great the new "automatic" transmissions are, some of us don't care about 100% performance, we care more about the involved experience of choosing our own gears, being able to "slip the clutch" in a million different increments, and having the ability to shift from first to fifth, or sixth to second with a single move of a lever. I think most of us on here understand the joy of a manual transmission, and it's great that they have perfected the newer dual-clutch automatics ... but they will never be able to replace the overall human control of a manual transmission. I, myself, really enjoy the sound of a good exhaust while slipping the clutch in various different ways to achieve just the right "lugging growl", and the sound of double-clutching, and being able to skip gears either up or down without having to go through each one individually. It's a nostalgic thing that can't be replicated except by the human brain.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
I鈥檇 like to see a post from someone that has actually spent time in the new car and didn鈥檛 like it. So far, I have only seen 鈥渕anuals-only鈥 posts from people with no first-hand experience.

It鈥檚 like saying I prefer sex with with my 50 year old wife over Kate Upton, having only done the former for the last 30 years. 馃槣

Premium Member
I鈥檇 like to see a post from someone that has actually spent time in the new car and didn鈥檛 like it. So far, I have only seen 鈥渕anuals-only鈥 posts from people with no first-hand experience.

It鈥檚 like saying I prefer sex with with my 50 year old wife over Kate Upton, having only done the former for the last 30 years. 馃槣

View attachment 196727
I know this is in jest, buuut you might change your mind on her if you saw her 鈥渓eaked鈥 pics. Reality isn鈥檛 as kind through the lens.

however, I do agree with your sentiment...car and wife wise that is.

might I suggest for your amusement a lovely Marisa Miller.

it is worth a google search. 馃ぉ

Registered
I have to agree with Mike and others ... I don't care how great the new "automatic" transmissions are, some of us don't care about 100% performance, we care more about the involved experience of choosing our own gears, being able to "slip the clutch" in a million different increments, and having the ability to shift from first to fifth, or sixth to second with a single move of a lever. I think most of us on here understand the joy of a manual transmission, and it's great that they have perfected the newer dual-clutch automatics ... but they will never be able to replace the overall human control of a manual transmission. I, myself, really enjoy the sound of a good exhaust while slipping the clutch in various different ways to achieve just the right "lugging growl", and the sound of double-clutching, and being able to skip gears either up or down without having to go through each one individually. It's a nostalgic thing that can't be replicated except by the human brain.
The part you enjoy about driving a manual transmission are "slipping the clutch", changing gears at random, and lugging the engine?

That is the weirdest definition of "I enjoy the engagement" process. While I enjoy the feeling of getting a launch just right, or getting that perfect heel and toe downshift, or getting a perfect powershift, it doesn't do enough for me to cover the frustration and disappointment in getting them slightly wrong sometimes. I also get frustrated that I know that no matter how well I train myself, I'll lose ground to the car with paddles everytime.

I guess for me it may have been growing up in the era of video games and Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsports where I spent years before I could even drive playing racing games and driving with manually shifted padddles and to me the enjoyment was knowing which gear I needed to be in for the upcoming corner and focusing on my apex and pulling that left paddle to get to the proper gear as I trailbraked into the corner. It was feeding in opposite lock on the way out of the corner with my foot to the floor while I grabbed another rifle bolt upshift with the right paddle. Perhaps it's my relative youth that affects my outlook, or the fact that unlike many on this forum I've actually driven fast DCT powered machines.

I only wish they made the GT350 with an optional DCT. I'd love to rip off glorious perfectly blipped downshifts through the mountains and whipcrack upshifts at 8250 while remaining in full control.

Premium Member
Nobody has said that the new GT500 wouldn't be fun, fast, enjoyable ... some people just derive more pleasure from a manual transmission vehicle ... that can't be that hard to understand, especially on a sporty car forum.

I really enjoyed my big-block Torino with a modified C6 automatic transmission that could shift faster than most manual tranny cars and never missed a gear ..... but gently cruising through the countryside on a curvy road, I longed for a manual tranny and a gearshift ... it's just a personal preference that has nothing to do with the car itself, only the owner.

If I was ever to spend close to $100,000 on a vehicle, it had better have EXACTLY what I WANT for total enjoyment .... I understand that others would prefer something different ... it's just that simple. We all choose what we enjoy and what we will spend our hard-earned money on.

I think you are mistakenly looking at our personal preferences as a condemnation of the new GT500, which is far from the truth.

...... and my make-believe girlfriend is MUCH better looking than yours ...... LOL

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Moderator/Admin Dude!
Nobody has said that the new GT500 wouldn't be fun, fast, enjoyable ... some people just derive more pleasure from a manual transmission vehicle ... that can't be that hard to understand, especially on a sporty car forum.

I really enjoyed my big-block Torino with a modified C6 automatic transmission that could shift faster than most manual tranny cars and never missed a gear ..... but gently cruising through the countryside on a curvy road, I longed for a manual tranny and a gearshift ... it's just a personal preference that has nothing to do with the car itself, only the owner.

If I was ever to spend close to $100,000 on a vehicle, it had better have EXACTLY what I WANT for total enjoyment .... I understand that others would prefer something different ... it's just that simple. We all choose what we enjoy and what we will spend our hard-earned money on.

I think you are mistakenly looking at our personal preferences as a condemnation of the new GT500, which is far from the truth.

...... and my make-believe girlfriend is MUCH better looking than yours ...... LOL

View attachment 196736
The mistake is assuming the new GT500 is simply like an automatic tranny car. Paddle shifting is a hoot! If you鈥檝e driven a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche with paddles, I think you鈥檇 have an idea what I鈥檓 talking about. The new GT500 is neither an automatic or a manual car. It鈥檚 a supercar.

Registered
The mistake is assuming the new GT500 is simply like an automatic tranny car. Paddle shifting is a hoot! If you鈥檝e driven a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche with paddles, I think you鈥檇 have an idea what I鈥檓 talking about. The new GT500 is neither an automatic or a manual car. It鈥檚 a supercar.
I had the opportunity of driving - in anger - a Ferrari 360 Modena back in 2004. We rented it for a day for my father-in-law's 60th birthday. 400hp, which is so light by today's standards, but the benefit was that you could wring the crap out of it. It had the classic Ferrari gated shifter. More people should have an opportunity to drive that.

Registered

Premium Member
Oh, I realize the new paddle shifted cars aren't ANYTHING like an old automatic, and the new "supercars" have extremely high performance, but what you can't seem to understand is that some of us enjoy the "old fashioned" way of doing things, we don't care about maximum performance or pretending to be "Randy Racecar" when we go out for a drive ... the same way my father still enjoyed operating old Model T cars, even though he enjoyed his newer Fairlanes and Buicks too. Once you wrap your head around the fact that we're not bad-mouthing the new GT500, just the fact that FORD didn't give the consumer the option and thus has lost some interest / sales (and yes, we realize Ford doesn't give a shit either). I hope you enjoy the heck out of your new car, but to some of us, it will always lack that manual transmission connection, and there is no way around that. I personally would enjoy a 1966 Mustang with a 289 / 4-speed than I would a newer paddle-shifted car ... it's all about personal enjoyment, NOT total performance.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
Oh, I realize the new paddle shifted cars aren't ANYTHING like an old automatic, and the new "supercars" have extremely high performance, but what you can't seem to understand is that some of us enjoy the "old fashioned" way of doing things, we don't care about maximum performance or pretending to be "Randy Racecar" when we go out for a drive ... the same way my father still enjoyed operating old Model T cars, even though he enjoyed his newer Fairlanes and Buicks too. Once you wrap your head around the fact that we're not bad-mouthing the new GT500, just the fact that FORD didn't give the consumer the option and thus has lost some interest / sales (and yes, we realize Ford doesn't give a shit either). I hope you enjoy the heck out of your new car, but to some of us, it will always lack that manual transmission connection, and there is no way around that. I personally would enjoy a 1966 Mustang with a 289 / 4-speed than I would a newer paddle-shifted car ... it's all about personal enjoyment, NOT total performance.
Ford offers exactly what you want with the GT350. Its a hell of a car!

Moderator/Admin Dude!
@blackcad55, you and I are alike given a choice between automatic trannies and manuals. I have always been a manual guy and given the choice between the two, I鈥檇 chose a manual all day/every day. After actually getting my hands on the the DCT equipped 2020 GT500, it changed everything for me.

I would equate this to me offering my critique of how a Nissan GTR drives. @Mctag has one, but I鈥檝e never been in one. I might comment that the styling isn鈥檛 for me, but I have zero exposure to the car and how it behaves. I鈥檇 have to defer to Sean regarding its operation. Another example would be me saying I much prefer the Boeing 767 vs. the 747. I鈥檝e never flown a 747... it might be the best thing ever! I could offer a better review/critique if I actually got some seat time in one.

I totally get it that there are diehard manual guys. My name is still on that plaque. Get your hands on the new drug and see if you go back to the 60s acid. It鈥檚 trippy!馃お

Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
It is because the younger generations cannot text and drive a manual. No one in my family can drive a manual so I don't have to share the Shelby with anyone, which is a small victory. I refuse to teach my wife and daughter how to drive a stick on my tuned Shelby. No effing way.

My wife still doesn't understand why I wont reply to her texts when I am driving the Shelby. I keep telling her, but...like there isn't anything more i can explain.

My 7 year old boy wants his first car to be a mustang. If I am able to get him one, then I will do my best to make it a manual so he can have options if I can get him hooked on muscle/sports cars.

Hey it is the best new theft deterrent system so I could leave mine unlocked and running and it would most likely be safe. Hey maybe I can set up a booth and sell opportunities to see if young people can steal it. Charge $20 a try.

I could actually afford a 2020 GT500 with in a few days.
Another theft deterrent.

Premium Member
.... ah yes, but can Kate Upton tie a knot in a cherry stem with her tongue ???

(hint: young'ens are sometimes only eye-candy) LOL :ROFLMAO:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts