1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'11 Sterling Gray GT500 '13 DIB GT Prem. 'Vert.
182 Posts
My two cents adjusted for inflation: I've never liked that car. The proportions and customization all look wrong to me. Front end (four pairs of lights...really?), hood, side pipes, and body colored rear bumper are fugly. When you view it from the side the particular choice of rims/tires combined with the fender flares/long nose make them look undersized; very 2017+ Honda Ridgeline-esque. I do like the color. :)

PS - Thought the movie sucked too. lol Happy Tuesday!

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,676 Posts
I've always liked the car. I respect it. It brought attention to the brand to whole other audience that didn't know they loved these cars until they saw the movie.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,548 Posts
I was watching the auction when it kinda stalled at $400k. So someone got on the microphone and talked up the car. Then either the commentator or the guy on the mic said something about $400k being a steal. Well, as they say the rest is history. She took off from there. Fun watch that auction and an old land speed car that was a sentimental favorite of many. It got a lot of fanfare when its price hit $500k. I wonder if Rick bought anything? :)

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
I'm with stangbuff, although I wouldn't have been so polite with my criticisms.. You would have to pay me to be seen in one (and I don't think I could be bought for cheap, because the whole prospect makes my skin crawl).

Can't believe the $850K price.. It was indeed a very poor movie. And for me, the irony is, I would have found the "star car" to be FAR more compelling, and intriguing, and awe-inspiring, if the car had been a friggin' original and true-to-form 1967 GT500. That would have made for an epic chase scene. Watching Eleanor slide and jump around was the biggest "who cares" moment I've ever had in a car movie. It was only 10-degrees away from using the Monkeemobile, which might actually be a more tasteful car.

I was more attracted to the Audi in Ronin quite honestly.

I know, Rick, tell us how you really feel.. LOL... Eleanor is a love/hate car. And I guess there are more than two people with means who love it, because $850K, good gravy. I'll take the 4-5 genuine/true/real 1960's Shelbys I could buy with the same amount of dough.

Reactions: stangbuff

·
Registered
'11 Sterling Gray GT500 '13 DIB GT Prem. 'Vert.
182 Posts
Thank you for making me look polite. LOL I liked the crap box GT500 he drives away in at the end better. ;) Ditto the '73 Mustang(s) in the original Gone in 60 Seconds and I'm not really a fan of the 71-73's. That said a '71 Boss 351 would be a keeper.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
I was more attracted to the Audi in Ronin quite honestly.
So did you buy it? Since the auction was in your neck of the woods, I was thinking about you and wondering if you bought anything. Lots of nice vehicles. Of course it for a car enthusiast, it also demands a lot of restraint too. :)

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Thank you for making me look polite. LOL I liked the crap box GT500 he drives away in at the end better. ;)
Original specimens carry more weight, aura, mystery, intrigue, importance. When they're crusty and neglected, it conjures up even more mystique (although I'm not a fan of keeping cars like that). So yeah, the drive-away at the end was the only good moment for this car guy.

The auction price of the real 1968 Bullitt is testimony that you don't need scoops, stripes, side-exhaust, a dozen driving lights, etc.., to gain the attention of an audience. There's art (Bullitt), and there's cartoons (Eleanor).

I apologize profusely to any Eleanor owners or fans out there. It's just my personal take. I should be more politically correct, but that's not my nature ;) .

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
So did you buy it? Since the auction was in your neck of the woods, I was thinking about you and wondering if you bought anything. Lots of nice vehicles. Of course it for a car enthusiast, it also demands a lot of restraint too. :)
LOL, restraint has come very easy to me!... I saw plenty that I'd love to own, but nothing that I had to own. Enough is enough. :) I had fun drinking beer and watching the cars glide by. There WAS a 1966 Olds 442, Autumn Bronze, 4-speed tri-power with all the good options, amazingly restored.. That one had me drooling. But it had sold the day prior to me being there. 1966 Oldsmobile 442 | T214.1 | Kissimmee 2020 | Mecum Auctions

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
LOL, restraint has come very easy to me!... I saw plenty that I'd love to own, but nothing that I had to own. Enough is enough. :) I had fun drinking beer and watching the cars glide by. There WAS a 1966 Olds 442, Autumn Bronze, 4-speed tri-power with all the good options, amazingly restored.. That one had me drooling. But it had sold the day prior to me being there. 1966 Oldsmobile 442 | T214.1 | Kissimmee 2020 | Mecum Auctions
Sounds like a beauty. I tried your link to look at the car and also tried getting into Mecum's Kissimmee 2020, but neither worked for me regardless of the browser I used.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a beauty. I tried your link to look at the car and also tried getting into Mecum's Kissimmee 2020, but neither worked for me regardless of the browser I used.
Link works fine on my iPad:

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Weird, link works fine this morning for me too. I wonder if Mecum was working on their site yesterday. Thanks anyway Tim.

Boy, the color on that 442 is nice! Triple 2 barrel carbs too.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Boy, the color on that 442 is nice! Triple 2 barrel carbs too.
Oh yeah.. Usually for the 66-67 era of A-bodies, I'm a Pontiac and Buick man... But this car spoke to me in a big way. Sexy beast, quality craftsmanship.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts