Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the GT500 here and looking for some information, just have some questions.

I see the heat exchanger for the supercharger (?) has a different resevoir than the radiator. Do they use the same coolant or differnt? If so what kind/color/brand is each?

Anyone have a breakdown of the coolant flow in these cars at all? (just curious)

Oil...does the blower run off of the engine oil, or does it have its own internal resevoir like the 03/04 Cobra Eaton's had. If so where is the drain plug for it, on the front also (like the terminators)?

How often do you all flush the coolant and change the blower oil?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Bump....I'm new to this car too and have a lot to learn. There sure isn't much info in the owner's manual. Seems like theres a lot of info on this site if you know what you're looking for. At least I got the right engine oil for it so far from Rouch Performance.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hey all, new to the GT500 here and looking for some information, just have some questions.

I see the heat exchanger for the supercharger (?) has a different resevoir than the radiator. Do they use the same coolant or differnt? If so what kind/color/brand is each?
They use the same coolant, motorcraft gold, but the intercooler uses only straight coolant..no water.

Anyone have a breakdown of the coolant flow in these cars at all? (just curious)
Picture attached

Oil...does the blower run off of the engine oil, or does it have its own internal resevoir like the 03/04 Cobra Eaton's had. If so where is the drain plug for it, on the front also (like the terminators)?
should have a plug at the front of the sc to change oil

How often do you all flush the coolant and change the blower oil?
Change as recommended by service manual

there is much to learn from these forums. take time to read the threads. Alot of your wondering questions can be answered via the posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
+1. However, my GT500 supplement indicates the intercooler also takes a 50/50 coolant/water mixture, not straight coolant.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
According to the Ford Maintenance Guide, initial coolant change should be done at 6 yrs or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first; then every 3 years or 50,000 miles thereafter. I didn't see any guidance on supercharger maintenance.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Motorcraft Gold Premium is premixed to 50/50.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The intercooler uses a 50/50 mix as well. NEVER use undiluted straight coolant in ANY application. Very poor heat transfer.

Premium Gold coolant comes as a concentrate, mix it 50/50 with distilled water per the instructions on the bottle. It is also available under the Zerex label from NAPA.

If you do not run the car un below freezing temps, you can improve heat transfer by using distilled water and Red Line Water Wetter without anti-freeze.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I didn't think the Motorcraft coolant was premixed. I have a bottle in the garage I was going to check on tonight; thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
994 Posts
me either....

i stand corrected about the mix....sorry...
I had mixed a bottle 50/50 with water and noticed a significant difference in color. I called a friend of mine at the dealer (SVT and Saleen dealer) and confirmed with him, that yes, it is ready to use, out of the bottle. So, another trip to the dealer in a........ ewwwwww..... Nissan..... (wife's car) and refilled the new Heat Exchanger and Resevoir. Hope this helps, I could not find anything on the bottle that said to mix it either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok, so ford's motorcraft gold ALREADY COMES 50/50? Okey doke good to know.

Thanks for the input and the pics too 'MPH'. Much appreciated.

I know the recommend supercharger oil change should be none because its "good for the life of the blower"....but i know once you start pulleying it, its a good idea to change every so often. I believe the terminator guys used to do it every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Change as recommended by service manual

there is much to learn from these forums. take time to read the threads. Alot of your wondering questions can be answered via the posts.
Do you have an updated BIGGER picture? I blew yours up after clicking on it, and its still very small. Where did you get that original pic? Can i get a wallpaper sized one?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just looked on the back of the bottle for Ford Premium (Gold) Coolant. It clearly shows the freeze protection levels for various concentrations with the recommended being 50/50. It is NOT premixed.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I just looked on the back of the bottle for Ford Premium (Gold) Coolant. It clearly shows the freeze protection levels for various concentrations with the recommended being 50/50. It is NOT premixed.
I reached the same conclusion after reading the label and seeing that chart. Directions even said add water after filling with the recommended amount of coolant based on capacity.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so whats the final conclusion on the 50/50 or purity mix?

Should I start a poll in this thread? LOL

·
Registered
994 Posts
interesting, i will have to look, when i did mix it 50/50 it was SIGNIFICANTLY lighter in color that what i had taken out of the HE. That was what prompted the call to the dealer. thanks, have to dig more, i wonder if there are different ways to buy it, premixed and not premixed.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
interesting, i will have to look, when i did mix it 50/50 it was SIGNIFICANTLY lighter in color that what i had taken out of the HE. That was what prompted the call to the dealer. thanks, have to dig more, i wonder if there are different ways to buy it, premixed and not premixed.
your right about that...i also noticed that

but according to the vehicle supplement. under maintenance "Eng & Intercooler Coolant" it states 50/50 mix and that it was done this way at the factory....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ok, so, since I seem to be the one that started the confusion, let me first offer my apologies, and take my lumps. Talked with an SVT tech at our dealer, and the reason the factory coolant was darker when I drained it, is that they add, at the factory, to ALL new vehicles, a sealant tablet prior to filling. This gave it the darker color, and YES, the premium gold is in CONCENTRATE form and must be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Hence, blowing off the rest of the day to go drain and refill my tanks.... followed by test driving and perhaps dinner..... Sorry everyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts